• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 29: WF at Clemson - Wednesday 7 pm - ACCN

Not the first player he called out...

Literally the first thing he said was to criticize marsh and hildreth for not being good enough on defense

Forbes pointed out a lot of things, which there were a lot for him to choose from. Specifically, he said it was the seniors who needed to step up.

I remember very well when most of you on this board were popping a cork after Whitt committed as a four star that would turn the program around. Nobody should care about the number of recruiting stars players have. Until they put on a Wake jersey and show what they can do it's a crapshoot. Until we prove how good we are against good teams everything most of you write on this board is just garbage. It's dumb. Frankly, I think it's pretty lame of Forbes to throw Whitt under the bus. He sits in the back of the bus with the other scrubs. Do Williams 4 fouls and LaRavia's 1 for 10 start just get a pass? Those 2 guys have driven our bus all year. Does Forbes get a pass ? Over the last 6-10 games the formula to beat Wake Forest has been set in stone by EVERYBODY. What happened to coaching your team to adjust to pressure and zone defenses coach? Frankly, Forbes and the team have failed the test about being a "good" team. Good teams don't fold at the first sign of adversity or confusion. Don't get me wrong, winning 21 games this year is awesome. But the way we've done it doesn't make us good yet. I think we are who we've shown to be squeaking by Syracuse at home and getting blown out on the road.; losing twice to Duke and Miami each; squeaking by ND at home, losing to a one -armed Clemson team; losing to Louisville ; and only beating a UNC team that is very bad most nights. Wins v NC State, BC, VT, FSU, Louisville and GT are no better than the avg non-power 5 squad. Nothing to get too excited about. We have the next 3 or more games to prove me wrong. Frankly, I think we had our chance and we crapped the bed.

I think we've gotten to the point of nearly being ranked in the AP poll 3 times this year and managed to lose each time.

It's a process. We're about where I thought we'd be in Forbes' third or fourth year. I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the ride this season.

Did not sleep well last night.... guess it's a good thing following a BAD loss.

Forbes has me caring again.

This loss was different. Most teams have been playing the same scheme against us, pressure the ball and play the passing lanes and Williams and Laravia will turn it over. Then challenge us to hit our 3's. On offense hit the glass because our center doesn't rebound and just try to get off more shots than we do. Simple formula. It works if we don't hit our threes or we don't start getting down hill in transition.

Clemson just out hustled us. They don't have big fast guards. Laravia couldn't get his shots over the rim and really looked like someone had run over his dog. Williams added to his bad turnovers with bad fouls. The rotation was weird and our guys just seemed like they expected to turn it on in the second half and win the game. Instead Whitt came in and killed the run. By the way, he rebounds well because he's unguarded on offense and so damn slow that he's out of position on defense. It's not like he's boxing somebody out and gets the rebound, he's just on a part of the floor by himself.

There's plenty of blame to spread around. The team wasn't ready to play. There was no reason to go to Whitt because Clemson wasn't pressuring the ball. Anyone could have brought the ball up when Williamson was sitting. Only two guys should have a green light to shoot the three at any time, Monsanto and Mucius. If we're going to be without Sy for the rest of the way, Marsh is going to see spot minutes, he'll need to do something other than stand there on defense. This team isn't good enough to play from behind every night. Going to need to use some timeouts when teams start going on little runs and we seem out of sorts.

this game, Syracuse game, first Duke game and Miami games, their guards killed us. defense on the perimeter needs to tighten up. We are not a great team but we are decent and have a shot at the NCAA so we can't expect our A game every night. Would like to see a little Mcray, perhaps he can give us more defense out top

When we were down by just 1 twice in the 2nd half fully expected us to take control of the game and win....

I was wrong.

Yeah after cutting it to 1, they had to get over the hump and make Clemson play from behind. After Williamson hit the 3 to make it 46-45, LaRavia missed a shot, Walton missed a shot, and LaRavia turned it over all before Clemson scored again. That was great spot to take a 3-4 point lead. Then the next time we cut it to 1 was when Whitt had his blunder. The icing on that cake was after Williamson made that great block, we got a traveling call instead of an easy layup. That would have cut it to two and then we got a stop which would have given us another chance to tie/take the lead.
It was a very bad game in numerous ways. I hope Sy is not done for the season. I still expect Wake to be in the field if they win the last two, but I have less confidence in the team's ability to "make a run".

LOL did not realize Mucius was sick somehow.

We are not beating very many teams without Mucius and Sy.

I do think Marsh is a good big, and I like his finishing at the rim, minus that first layup.

We are on the bubble or whatever, last 4 in/out.

This loss was different. Most teams have been playing the same scheme against us, pressure the ball and play the passing lanes and Williams and Laravia will turn it over. Then challenge us to hit our 3's. On offense hit the glass because our center doesn't rebound and just try to get off more shots than we do. Simple formula. It works if we don't hit our threes or we don't start getting down hill in transition.

Clemson just out hustled us. They don't have big fast guards. Laravia couldn't get his shots over the rim and really looked like someone had run over his dog. Williams added to his bad turnovers with bad fouls. The rotation was weird and our guys just seemed like they expected to turn it on in the second half and win the game. Instead Whitt came in and killed the run. By the way, he rebounds well because he's unguarded on offense and so damn slow that he's out of position on defense. It's not like he's boxing somebody out and gets the rebound, he's just on a part of the floor by himself.

There's plenty of blame to spread around. The team wasn't ready to play. There was no reason to go to Whitt because Clemson wasn't pressuring the ball. Anyone could have brought the ball up when Williamson was sitting. Only two guys should have a green light to shoot the three at any time, Monsanto and Mucius. If we're going to be without Sy for the rest of the way, Marsh is going to see spot minutes, he'll need to do something other than stand there on defense. This team isn't good enough to play from behind every night. Going to need to use some timeouts when teams start going on little runs and we seem out of sorts.

Good post.

I remember very well when most of you on this board were popping a cork after Whitt committed as a four star that would turn the program around. Nobody should care about the number of recruiting stars players have. Until they put on a Wake jersey and show what they can do it's a crapshoot. Until we prove how good we are against good teams everything most of you write on this board is just garbage. It's dumb. Frankly, I think it's pretty lame of Forbes to throw Whitt under the bus. He sits in the back of the bus with the other scrubs. Do Williams 4 fouls and LaRavia's 1 for 10 start just get a pass? Those 2 guys have driven our bus all year. Does Forbes get a pass ? Over the last 6-10 games the formula to beat Wake Forest has been set in stone by EVERYBODY. What happened to coaching your team to adjust to pressure and zone defenses coach? Frankly, Forbes and the team have failed the test about being a "good" team. Good teams don't fold at the first sign of adversity or confusion. Don't get me wrong, winning 21 games this year is awesome. But the way we've done it doesn't make us good yet. I think we are who we've shown to be squeaking by Syracuse at home and getting blown out on the road.; losing twice to Duke and Miami each; squeaking by ND at home, losing to a one -armed Clemson team; losing to Louisville ; and only beating a UNC team that is very bad most nights. Wins v NC State, BC, VT, FSU, Louisville and GT are no better than the avg non-power 5 squad. Nothing to get too excited about. We have the next 3 or more games to prove me wrong. Frankly, I think we had our chance and we crapped the bed.

"We"??? Aren't you a Clemson fan???

Or is that only applicable during football season?

Game thoughts:
We need to find a way to beat zone, bc if an opponent plays us man to man the rest of the way their coach should be fired.
Jake had a bad game, but turned it on. Too little too late but it happens. Alondes has to stop fouling, like legit has to. Let them get 2 points if you have to sometimes.
Walton was invisible, and Sy being out killed us. Carter whitt is horrendous and that stretch should be all forbes needed to see for the rest of the year.

Bigger Picture:
We are now squarely on the bubble. I'd say we need to win the next two convincingly, and win atleast one if not 2 in the ACCT.

Being on the bubble is not a good place for us. We do not have a signature win, and our OOC schedule sticks out like nobodys business. That is something that the committee can easily latch onto and explain as a reason x,y were picked over Wake. We needed to make it obvious, and we have not done that, and winning the next 2 and maybe 3 games won't even accomplish that.

We've lost three of four, and if we drop another game, especially to a bad team, before at least the semis of the ACCT we are in danger.

I think if we win the next 2 games we are in the tournament. This was an unfortunate loss, but I don't think it will make that much difference in the end.

Mucius was acknowledged as ill. Several others played like they were trying to (maybe literally?) gut it out. However they had no energy and missed a lot. LaRavia and Walton should have feasted against Clemson. They couldn't make layups. I suspect multiple players were varying degrees of ailing. Shades of the Childress/Duncan NCAA tournament flu.

simply if Manman does not get in foul trouble and Laravia and Walton play normal games we win. Think Forbes said as much when discussing seniors play last night.

LOL did not realize Mucius was sick somehow.

We are not beating very many teams without Mucius and Sy.

I do think Marsh is a good big, and I like his finishing at the rim, minus that first layup.

We are on the bubble or whatever, last 4 in/out.

If Sy has the high ankle sprain it looked like, he won't be effective for a while. #notgooddino.

I was most disappointed by our inability to aggressively attack their zone. Didn't put anyone at the FT line and ballhandlers didn't attempt to get into the lane. Very passive and lots of that is on our staff.

Back