• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 5: LMU Lions Sunday 2:30 pm - CBSN

heaven forbid WF basketball fans discuss WF basketball! everybody stop talking until January!
Nobody is saying that we're just saying that the definitive judgments on this team (and Next Year!) are significantly premature at this point.

Nobody is saying that we're just saying that the definitive judgments on this team (and Next Year!) are significantly premature at this point.

Minutes projections in June are premature. But Creamy does them anyway, and people enjoy them, because we’re Wake Forest basketball fans.

Right now the topics of interest are: is this WF basketball team a good team, and will they reach the NCAA tournament? And while premature, of course people are going to discuss those topics.

I'm a huge Forbes supporter, but he shit the bed - can't be up 10 with 1:47 to go and lose. Unacceptable. At least he will publicly come out and say that and shoot straight as opposed to the last two buffoons in his position.

I think he have some nice pieces and will surprise some people this year. My biggest concern so far is our big men. We look slow and timid on that front. Hopefully game time and reps will fix that.

Yeah I wasn't a good loss and there's no reason we should have lost the game. It was still kind of fluky and a mixture of bad officiating and uncharacteristic mistakes and missed free throws and them hitting some silly shots.

I'm a huge Forbes supporter, but he shit the bed - can't be up 10 with 1:47 to go and lose. Unacceptable. At least he will publicly come out and say that and shoot straight as opposed to the last two buffoons in his position.

I think he have some nice pieces and will surprise some people this year. My biggest concern so far is our big men. We look slow and timid on that front. Hopefully game time and reps will fix that.
Gotta love Forbes for how he handled. Wish we had the post game interview with Manning after the UVA debacle. I'm sure it is rich with quotes.....

Gotta love Forbes for how he handled. Wish we had the post game interview with Manning after the UVA debacle. I'm sure it is rich with quotes.....
Here's my game story from that night, with several quotes in it. Enjoy?

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Wake Forest has yet to put together 40 minutes of solid basketball in a game all season.

Tuesday night against No. 11 Virginia, the Deacs played well for 38-and-a-half minutes.

It wasn’t enough.

The Cavs scored 18 points in the final 1:16 of action to erase a 10-point Wake lead.

A banked in 3-pointer at the buzzer by Darius Thompson — his first points of the game — gave Virginia an improbable 72-71 victory.

"This is a very disappointing and tough L to take. They're all tough. To be in a situation where we have a lead for 35 minutes of a game and not come away with a win, it's just tough,” Wake coach Danny Manning said. “A lot of people will look at the last play of the game, but to me, throughout the last five to six minutes of the game, we didn't meet the basketball a couple of times, we didn't square up strong with the basketball.

“We had some opportunities to go to the free throw line and knock some free throws down and we didn't do that. They continued to battle and created some good fortune."

A dozen or so members of the Joel Coliseum security team had formed at the end zone near the Wake student section, in preparation for a potential rushing of the court. Instead the students looked to each other trying to figure out just how the Deacs managed to lose a game in which they once were in complete control.

There are plenty of variables that led to the collapse, but the most striking comes on the defensive end. Wake had limited the Cavs to just 43.2 percent shooting, with UVA only connecting on 1-of-11 attempts behind the arc for the first 37 minutes.

After missing 12 of its first 14 3-point attempts, UVA drained the last three — all in the final 14 seconds.

“As a whole, I think we’d thought we’d won it already,” Wake senior guard Codi Miller-McIntyre said. “Coach told us to finish the game and reminded us we hadn’t won yet. We just got too excited and made tiny mistakes — lack of attention to details.”

Thompson hit the game winner from the corner with Devin Thomas lunging at him. The shot banked in as the clock moved to 0:00 and the Deacs slumped off the court in disbelief.

“Miracle shot,” Wake forward Devin Thomas said. “Once in a lifetime shot, but it’s our fault for putting ourselves in that situation to begin with.”

The Deacs also left several points on the table with missed free throws. After starting 9-for-11 from the charity stripe, the Deacs were just 10-for-18 in the final 3:26. Hitting just one or two more drastically changes the complexion of the contest, as UVA began extending the game with an intentional foul on Cornelius Hudson at the 1:57 mark (he missed the front end of a bonus).

The loss puts a damper on what could have been considered the breakout performance for this team and the signature home win during coach Manning’s tenure (he’s yet to beat a ranked team at home).

"I thought we shared the ball well. The ball moved. In the first half, we were able to get the ball into the paint. I think almost all of our points in the first half resulted from getting the ball inside,” Manning said. “We were able to swing the ball and create some offense. I thought some guys made timely shots early on and then in the second half, but all of that doesn't matter. We lost the game."

Guards Bryant Crawford and Codi Miller-McIntyre had arguably their best game together since Miller-McIntyre’s return to the squad after preseason foot surgery.

Crawford shined driving to the bucket and connecting from long range, and was energetic throughout. He finished with 22 points on 8-of-10 shooting, going 3-for-5 behind the arc. Miller-McIntyre found creases in the Virginia man defense and created for his teammates. He finished with five points, four rebounds and eight assists.

Senior forward Devin Thomas had 14 points and six rebounds, but missed some of the second half after spraining his left ankle. He got treatment and returned to a huge ovation from the partisan Wake crowd after missing just a little over four minutes of action.

I've given my heart and soul to this school and this program. This just hurts, man. It really does," Thomas said.

His thunderous dunk (and one) over UVA’s Malcolm Brogdon with 1:23 left gave Wake a 10-point lead and seemed to seal the game.

"I hope they don't sleep tonight. I hope it burns. I hope they stay up all night tossing and turning. That's what I told them,” Manning said. “I don't think you lose the locker room after a loss like this because a lot of these mistakes you give Virginia credit. We talk about attention to detail a lot at practice and we have to continue to do that. We also have to get better."

Efforts to right the ship and stop what is now a five-game losing streak won’t come easy. The Deacs travel to No. 25 Notre Dame for a noon tipoff Sunday.

“This one hurt really bad. We just gave it away. Everybody is upset,” Miller-McIntyre said. “We have to do some self reflection and come in tomorrow with a positive attitude. If we don’t, it’s going to be a long week and a long season.”

“It hurts a lot. You have to fight through adversity — just keep fighting and fighting and hopefully something good with come out of it. We have to come in tomorrow with a great mindset and realize crazier things have happened. 1-7, but crazier things have happened. We can either let this continue to beat us and have a straight downhill year, or we can turn it around and be special.”

If the goal is to make the tourney then our margin for error is slim to none and games like LMU are must wins. My original post is about how Wake after 10 years in basketball hell catches up to the game of today. We had the POY and a first round pick last year and didn’t make the tourney. This years team is not as talented as last year. 10 years can kill the fan spirit and after watching our players and the first 5 games my guess is most of us don’t believe we’ll be an NCAA team and it’s just November. College basketball is all about the tournament and I don’t see how that changes for us. Forbes is doing an amazing job of piecing a team together each year but I’m not sure that’s a strategy to achieve year to year success. There’s the one and done model, recruit 4 star and above model and the Tony Bennett model. Forbes is introducing a new model that given our recent history is the only thing that works, some years good and some years bad.

When I look at the college game today I have even more respect for what Mike Brey and Tony Bennett have done, they build from the ground up with selected transfers that will fit. After an off year for UVA they’re again a top 10 team. Whatever he’s making isn’t enough.

I mean if last year's in the indication winning q1 games is a lot more important than Q2/3 losses

I mean if last year's in the indication winning q1 games is a lot more important than Q2/3 losses
Sure, but we aren't going to get many chances at Q1 wins.

Sure, but we aren't going to get many chances at Q1 wins.
I mean it looks like we have several between now and early January. Last year it seemed like every good win we had was immediately followed by that team kind of falling apart.

I hope you're right but I fear either not getting the win or opponents falling apart like last year.

man, that Virginia game was one of the worst things I have seen in my near 40 years of being a Wake fan...so very painful!!!

i will say that i would take another Thomas in a heartbeat. we have not had a true low post scorer since he left...IMO

man, that Virginia game was one of the worst things I have seen in my near 40 years of being a Wake fan...so very painful!!!

i will say that i would take another Thomas in a heartbeat. we have not had a true low post scorer since he left...IMO

Why aren't you counting John Collins?

Yeah when are we ever going to win a game where the guy like literally throws the ball in not shooting it I can think of at least two games over the years we've lost like that

I don't really feel any differently after the LMU game than I did before. We are limited offensively unless we are making three's and a lot of our offense slows down to 1v1's for four minute stretches.

Our defense is pretty good overall and I think will ultimately be what we hang our hat on as the year moves along.

The loss sucked, but Appleby dribbling the ball off his leg twice in a row in normal PnR situations probably won't happen again this year. LMU hit 3's when they needed to and ultimately deserved the win. A close win wouldn't have changed who we are/what our trajectory will be. If anything, the loss may help get us going a bit and clamp down the next chance we get into a close game late.

Back