• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 5: LSU -- CC Consolation Final - 3 pm Sunday ESPN2

Hilarious that we extended Forbes after making the NIT. Have we learned anything?

HS recruiting has been bad but he’s one of the better portal recruiters in NCAA basketball. So far it’s been enough, but the Reid waiver situation is gonna be a problem for us this year.
Enough for what? Not enough to win anything of substance or make the tourney.

Or are you saying the players have been good enough but the in game coaching has been poor? Because I agree with that.

Or are you saying the players have been good enough but the in game coaching has been poor? Because I agree with that.

No I just think that his recruiting has been fine. Jake and Bobi left in tough ways and the waiver process has been predictably annoying. Otherwise I’ve liked the guys we’ve brought in.

Season is off to a rough start. Close losses to LSU and Georgia. Not as close loss to Utah. Wins over Elon and Towson and both were a struggle in their own way. Understand we have been shorthanded. I think we expected this team to be better than it has been. I would like to see what they can do with Damari and ideally Efton, but not particularly hopeful on his waiver.

Forbes apologists sound like no one knows the Reid situation until this month.

I really really like Forbes and want him to succeed here but I’m just afraid this is what it’s always gonna be. He’s always going to be able to sell talented but under-utilized ball-dominant guards at other schools who aren’t getting enough tick to transfer here and make tons of tape (as they say), he clearly has a great eye for stretch frontcourt player talent, and he’s so likable and I love our style of play.

But you can’t use the transfer portal to build depth, really—those are guys who know they’re good and want to play in the tournament and/or be “the dude” for a year or two and get a look from draft scouts. Coupled with our very meh HS recruiting, seems like we’re forced to play a very tight rotation which just exacerbates the lack of development of the HS guys and leaves us with like zero margin for error with things like iniuries, dudes unexpectedly leaving early, etc.

Marsh having a concussion is legit bad luck—that definitely is kind of a freak thing for a basketball player. But I’m less sympathetic about Carr’s and Keller’s general limitations re: rebounding and defense, and on Efton it’s my understanding that the waiver success rate for a two-timer is pretty much a long shot. (Welcome to be corrected, though.)

I dunno man, I just kinda thought that by year 4 we wouldn’t be losing games like this. That’s really it.

I dunno man, I just kinda thought that by year 4 we wouldn’t be losing games like this. That’s really it.

I did too (and I’m sure most did too) but I still don’t see how Forbes coached a bad game today

Exactly.

Look, I think Forbes has only been solid for us so far. But I also thought he coached a good game today.
You might be one of the few to think so. We should have never gotten down 10+ to that team. They are not good and known fact they turned the ball over repeatedly in earlier game of tourney but little pressure from us when we have more smaller and quicker guards that could have pressed and way too late to try zone. Even then everyone could see how zone threw lsu off we would go away from zone at key times leading to easy buckets For tigers. We continue to not value the ball which is trademark of Forbes basketball. Losing ball on dumb plays at key moments when we could tie or take lead. Just bad fundamentals all around ignoring the poor play calls coming at key moments.

Too many guys looking lost on defense and not really moving with urgency on every play. Also, feels like we can’t put both ends of the floor together at the same time in the same game. Like we force a turnover but then don’t run a play on offense and chuck something up. Or we make a big shot and give up an easy bucket. We are so streaky in every game

Back