• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 5: LSU -- CC Consolation Final - 3 pm Sunday ESPN2

The only reason that Marsh would have been helpful yesterday is for his five fouls and maybe making it so their bigs had to work on every possession.

Nobody is saying that Marsh's output would have been the difference maker, but another body and five more fouls could have helped us with our depth and the fact that Andrew Carr evidently, somehow can't play a full college basketball game at this point in his career.

Would we have been better off staying in the Grand Cayman MTE instead of going 1-2 without even playing the best team in Charleston?
No. Regardless of the metrics, I'd rather us play tough competition. If we're battling and playing tight games, that's only going to make the players and team better and that will pay off in later games.

The only reason that Marsh would have been helpful yesterday is for his five fouls and maybe making it so their bigs had to work on every possession.

Nobody is saying that Marsh's output would have been the difference maker, but another body and five more fouls could have helped us with our depth and the fact that Andrew Carr evidently, somehow can't play a full college basketball game at this point in his career.
It's pretty evident that Carr is exhausted from being the only big man on Wake's court. He's not only playing almost every minute of every game, he's playing largely out of position and having to cover for others.

Carr played 116 out of 125 possible minutes over 3 games in 4 days. I don't think this is a fair criticism, regardless of how he looked at the 5 defensively.

The main perk of avoiding the Cayman Classic is that it appears the games are solely on FloSports which is a paywall site that costs like $29 a month to access.

Carr played 116 out of 125 possible minutes over 3 games in 4 days. I don't think this is a fair criticism, regardless of how he looked at the 5 defensively.
He looked wiped at the start of yesterday's game, too. You can't say the same thing about our guards and wings. Just seems like he's not particularly well conditioned and just not strong enough. A real bummer when you think about it.

He looked wiped at the start of yesterday's game, too. You can't say the same thing about our guards and wings. Just seems like he's not particularly well conditioned and just not strong enough. A real bummer when you think about it.

I think banging with 7 footers and 6'9 bruisers for 115 minutes is a bit different than guards playing that same amount of minutes. Big guys as a whole usually have trouble staying in for as many minutes as guards from a sheer fatigue standpoint, much less the foul trouble thrown in.

The hell I don't! LISTEN, KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night! Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!

As DC Deac pointed out, WF lost in OT and Keller scored zero points and fouled out. His "O" rating was 19 for the game (100 is average); so, that is ungood. Marsh's O rating last year was 146; in his two games this year, its 130. Realize that is largely a function that Marsh only dunks, but its still better than a 19.

Don't think its that much of a stretch to think an extra big (even if you think he brings little to the table), might have made a one point difference in regulation.

Forbes addressed the 18 TO's vs LSU and discrepancy on the boards during his radio show.

It's being addressed with the team. It will improve.

He says that we need to play for the whole game, not just a half, apparently referring to the slow starts. He's been pleased with the overall effort however given the short bench. He can't comment on the Reid waiver.

Watched the replay this afternoon. Consolation game my ass. I was not consoled.

This might be true, as amended. We have seen this team with Marsh. It’s nothing special.
With Marsh contributing even a little, Wake beats LSU. Discourage one or two Baker shots. Convert one or two lobs. Get a few rebounds. Marsh is usually good for 6 points and 5 rebounds a game.

Obviously it's a kick in the nuts to be 2-3 at this point. The bad stuff has been covered plenty...

But can we just reflect on Sallis for a minute? This dude played 37 games last year and averaged 17 minutes a game. Scored more than 10 points TWICE. To this point he's averaging 20 and shooting 40% from deep. I'm trying to think of the last time Wake had a guard that could hit threes, finish strong inside, and also had a great mid-range jumper. And he hits his free throws. And he defends. The biggest issue we have with Sallis is that Gonzaga seems to have drilled into him that he's not the guy so he lets the game come to him a little too much. After Forbes got into our guards for not playing off two feet, one game later Sallis was rising over taller defenders on virtually every attempt.
I could make nearly the same points about Boopie despite being a little more uneven than Sallis. I still think we can make this season something special if Reid gets cleared, but please God let these two guys come back and play together for another year. With some experience and chemistry they could be filthy in the ACC.

Obviously it's a kick in the nuts to be 2-3 at this point. The bad stuff has been covered plenty...

But can we just reflect on Sallis for a minute? This dude played 37 games last year and averaged 17 minutes a game. Scored more than 10 points TWICE. To this point he's averaging 20 and shooting 40% from deep. I'm trying to think of the last time Wake had a guard that could hit threes, finish strong inside, and also had a great mid-range jumper. And he hits his free throws. And he defends. The biggest issue we have with Sallis is that Gonzaga seems to have drilled into him that he's not the guy so he lets the game come to him a little too much. After Forbes got into our guards for not playing off two feet, one game later Sallis was rising over taller defenders on virtually every attempt.
I could make nearly the same points about Boopie despite being a little more uneven than Sallis. I still think we can make this season something special if Reid gets cleared, but please God let these two guys come back and play together for another year. With some experience and chemistry they could be filthy in the ACC.

I suspect that Sallis is also being a little deferential to Cam. Cam has been at Wake and on the team for three years. Sallis just arrived. Cam has really improved his game in his time at Wake. He is also a likely make with an open three point shot. And he still can finish those "Horse" worthy layups.

Back