• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McDonald's Tries to Help Its Minimum Wage Workers

Deacon923

Scooter Banks
Reaction score
By writing them a "budget" that assumes they work two full time jobs and have health insurance cheaper than anything McDonald's is willing to provide.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/07/mcdonalds-literally-cannot-imagine-how-its-workers-would-survive-on-the-minimum-wage/277845/

But the good news is, at the end of the day they have a whole $800/month to spend on clothes, food, and gas. That's assuming you have that second job paying $955/month, without which I guess you have -$155 for those items.

mcdonaldssamplemonthlybudget.jpg

Just for giggles, on this site you can calculate what a family needs to get by in any metro area living a "modest but secure" lifestyle. http://www.epi.org/resources/budget/

Greensboro-High Point, NC HUD Metro FMR Area (NC)

One Parent, One Child
Item Cost
Monthly Housing $701
Monthly Food $369
Monthly Child Care $664
Monthly Transportation $480
Monthly Health Care $898
Monthly Other Necessities $274
Monthly Taxes $320
Monthly Total $3706
Annual Total $44467

So pretty much double what McDonald's says its workers can make working full time at McDonald's and 30 hours somewhere else. Awesome.

I can't even come up with a snarky comment for this thread; It's just fucking sad.

Well, the good news is at $7.25 per hour these people would be working over 280 hours per month. They'd have no time to spend all of that disposable income.

Well, the good news is at $7.25 per hour these people would be working over 280 hours per month. They'd have no time to spend all of that disposable income.

Except on meals at McDonalds!

I'd be insulted if I was working at McDonald's and they gave me this. It's a little insulting to read now...

I wonder how many employees they talked to before putting that together.

Well I think this just goes to prove jhmd's point that there is no dead end job.

Well I think this just goes to prove jhmd's point that there is no dead end job.

Don't misrepresent his posts. He said there are dead end jobs and they lead to better jobs.

(yes, that's actually what he said)

Don't misrepresent his posts. He said there are dead end jobs and they lead to better jobs.

(yes, that's actually what he said)

only if your bootstraps are strong enough to pull you out of the dead end job. That's very important.

High school kids and foreigners who barely speak English work at McDonalds. It's not exactly a breadwinner's paradise. WGAF.

Anyone who is determined enough to not live off of a minimum wage job has the opportunity to do so. Even if circumstances put you there that are out of your control, it is entirely possible for anyone to improve their pay over time by making sounds decisions outside of work and working hard.

Back