• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McDonald's Tries to Help Its Minimum Wage Workers

Anyone who is determined enough to not live off of a minimum wage job has the opportunity to do so. Even if circumstances put you there that are out of your control, it is entirely possible for anyone to improve their pay over time by making sounds decisions outside of work and working hard.

As long as they don't get sick.

High school kids and foreigners who barely speak English work at McDonalds. It's not exactly a breadwinner's paradise. WGAF.

I think the idea is that this is insulting even to the lowlife plebes we shouldn't give a fuck about (your words) who work at McDonalds.

Anyone who is determined enough to not live off of a minimum wage job has the opportunity to do so. Even if circumstances put you there that are out of your control, it is entirely possible for anyone to improve their pay over time by making sounds decisions outside of work and working hard.

To paraphrase: "bootstraps"

I didn't see bootstraps in that budget.

High school kids and foreigners who barely speak English work at McDonalds. It's not exactly a breadwinner's paradise. WGAF.

As a fat person I'm calling bullshit on this post. This reeks of the elitist false truth bullshit plaguing the current GOP. Walk in any Winston Salem or NC McDonalds during a weekday and count the late 20 to middle age English speaking workers. There are fucking plenty of them.

Even if we take as gospel the assertion that anybody can work their way out of min wage jobs, does it not bother any self identified board conservative that the taxpayers are subsidizing the McDonald's business model by providing the basic necessities (esp. Healthcare) that McDonald's refuses to provide to its workforce? McDonald's makes higher profits because government aid allows its workforce to make ends meet.

Even if we take as gospel the assertion that anybody can work their way out of min wage jobs, does it not bother any self identified board conservative that the taxpayers are subsidizing the McDonald's business model by providing the basic necessities (esp. Healthcare) that McDonald's refuses to provide to its workforce? McDonald's makes higher profits because government aid allows its workforce to make ends meet.

That's because most companies hire as few full time employees as possible. I doubt the average fast food restaurant has more than 8 or 10 full time, benefits earning positions.

Have we entirely dismissed the possibility that the 2nd income could be used for an employee's spouse? I would imagine most family budget planning is done as a household.

[conservative]That's smart business. Plus, we really want to eliminate welfare in its current state. Then we'll give McDonald's tax breaks and incentives to hire more people.[/conservative]

Without context, that budget is insulting. But it's also a little absurd for McDonald's to be producing something like that for its employees in the first place. If you're pushing burgers at McDonalds, you shouldn't really be able to support a family, let alone yourself.

Have we entirely dismissed the possibility that the 2nd income could be used for an employee's spouse? I would imagine most family budget planning is done as a household.

No. We understand that McDonald's ignored their single workers and showed that two fast food workers can barely get buy on single person expenses.

Cunt.

And you may have been joking, and that is fine, but your previous posts make me call you a cunt for this one. You're a cunt, basically.

is this intended as some sort of justification?

Go look at the document itself. It's linked from the article I posted. It's pretty clearly meant for a single person. There's not a word in it about "you and your spouse", it's just "you". And the budget itself says "2d Job". If it meant your spouse's job, why wouldn't it say "Spouse's job"? Second job to most people means, well, your second job.

But as others have pointed out, even giving them the benefit of the doubt that they did mean a two person household, that makes it even worse, because now they're expecting 2 people to live off of $800 and $20/month healthcare (the cheapest plan McDonald's offers, by the way, is $12/week, or $46/month - more than double what they put in their budget).

It's just hilariously, and tragically, bad, and there's no way to spin it to make it good.

Clearly, that "budget" is ridiculous. That said, so working at McDonalds means you are going to struggle financially. I think that is pretty widely accepted, and someone thinking they can make a decent career as a low-level McDonalds employee is probably why they are working at McDonalds as a career in the first place.

Clearly, that "budget" is ridiculous. That said, so working at McDonalds means you are going to struggle financially. I think that is pretty widely accepted, and someone thinking they can make a decent career as a low-level McDonalds employee is probably why they are working at McDonalds as a career in the first place.

What's the difference between trying to live and "trying to make a decent career"? It's clear from that budget that working a full time job at McDonalds at minimum wage isn't enough to support oneself.

You should've seen the budget for McDowell's workers. $400 a month for Soul-Glo.

If-loving-U-is-wrong-I-dont-wanna-B-right.jpg

As a fat person I'm calling bullshit on this post. This reeks of the elitist false truth bullshit plaguing the current GOP. Walk in any Winston Salem or NC McDonalds during a weekday and count the late 20 to middle age English speaking workers. There are fucking plenty of them.

I love the "as a fat person," that's great.

Back