• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

McDonald's Tries to Help Its Minimum Wage Workers

lol, I'm nearly 100% positive Lectro is fatter than the average McDonalds employee

15 bucks an hour???? Those workers are crazy.

I suspect they know they won't get $15 but they're thinking they throw out the high number (although $15 is not a lot it's a high number for fast food workers) and then negotiate downwards.

Edited to say I thought he was referencing something else.

Last edited:
Based on a 40 hour work week, $15 an hour would put MacDonald's franchise workers exactly on par with the T-1 salary level for first year teachers in GA.

Sounds like GA needs to pay their teachers more

Yeah, I was thinking that might say more about how little states like GA pay their teachers.

true, but the teachers are only getting paid for 10 months, and cost of living in the urban areas where these protests are going on is a lot higher than cost of living in most of the South. not saying teachers are paid fairly in the South (they're not) just that it's a misleading comparison for a lot of reasons.

true, but the teachers are only getting paid for 10 months, and cost of living in the urban areas where these protests are going on is a lot higher than cost of living in most of the South. not saying teachers are paid fairly in the South (they're not) just that it's a misleading comparison for a lot of reasons.
When you factor in the benefits I expect teachers are making more.

here's an article that is sort of a counterpoint to some of the posts (including my own) regarding minimum wage and the taxpayer "subsidizing" businesses that employ low wage workers. http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/12/the-moral-and-economic-imperative-to-raise-the-minimum-wage/282064/

I think it is hard to argue with the concept that a person working a full time job is holding up their end of the social bargain and ought to receive enough money to live on and raise their family. The question that I still struggle with is whether the employer or society at large ought to be responsible for paying that money.

That article just reminded me what tvcigar was referencing, the law that passed at SeaTac. I guess we'll see if $15 is unsustainable or not.

here's an article that is sort of a counterpoint to some of the posts (including my own) regarding minimum wage and the taxpayer "subsidizing" businesses that employ low wage workers. http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/12/the-moral-and-economic-imperative-to-raise-the-minimum-wage/282064/

I think it is hard to argue with the concept that a person working a full time job is holding up their end of the social bargain and ought to receive enough money to live on and raise their family. The question that I still struggle with is whether the employer or society at large ought to be responsible for paying that money.

Thanks for posting. Sums up what I was trying to say on an earlier thread.

Businesses will certainly pass on some of the costs to their customers. There is an argument to be made that the customers of a business should bear the real costs of delivering the goods they are buying and should not be allowed to enjoy cheap goods on the backs of their fellow citizens (i.e. the low wage workers and the taxpayers supporting them, who may or may not be customers of the business). If the business isn't able to attract customers to buy its products at that price, maybe it should go out of business.

On the other hand, you have the argument that any jobs are better than no jobs, and that if society wants workers to be paid a certain level of income even if the work they are doing is not worth that level of income, society at large should pay for it and not force the employer and its customers to pay above-market wages.

It's not an easy argument to resolve.

Businesses will certainly pass on some of the costs to their customers. There is an argument to be made that the customers of a business should bear the real costs of delivering the goods they are buying and should not be allowed to enjoy cheap goods on the backs of their fellow citizens (i.e. the low wage workers and the taxpayers supporting them, who may or may not be customers of the business). If the business isn't able to attract customers to buy its products at that price, maybe it should go out of business.

On the other hand, you have the argument that any jobs are better than no jobs, and that if society wants workers to be paid a certain level of income even if the work they are doing is not worth that level of income, society at large should pay for it and not force the employer and its customers to pay above-market wages.

It's not an easy argument to resolve.

As I said on a previous discussion on this topic, I don't want my tax dollars subsidizing McDonalds so some fat ass can get a McDouble for a dollar if the adjusted cost with a higher minimum wage is 1.25 or 1.50 or whatever it would work out to.

$15 an hour, 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year = $31,200. That is ridiculous to even consider for a fast trod worker, most of whom have no education beyond high school. Even at 30 hours a week it is $23,400, which is more than I made my first three years out of Wake. While it may bring into question the profession I chose, I was still in a job that required a Bachelors.

Back