• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Me Too [Cuomo joins hall of shame]

Most of the crappy content of the last few pages was driven by your bullshit relating door holding to Gone With the Wind. Read the thread and you'll see some good conversation about sexual harassment and assault, you'll even see people's perspectives getting changed and influenced by the discussion, not a common occurrence in the tunnels. This has been quite far from a #notallmen thread.

That's all great. Seriously.

It doesn't change the past two pages though. I didn't realize that pointing out that the notion of Southern Hospitality IS related to Gone With the Wind was so controversial. I guess now I know, though an explanation of why that statement is controversial would be appreciated.

Says the guy who enters the conversation without understanding the substance of the conversation and starts explaining to everyone how sexist they are.

Must have missed him. I haven't seen anyone call anyone else sexist since I started posting on this thread.

The substance of the thread I entered was whether commenting on a woman's appearance in a skirt as she left the elevator is appropriate and confusion as to why a woman would react negatively to numbers simply holding the door for her. Apologies if I missed something.

Fuck this Southern Hospitality BS -- people everywhere hold the door for other people. People in the midwest will give a muthafucka ten steps and hold the door for a man, woman, dog. Nobody is more polite than people in the midwest -- they just don't say ma'am and sir because that's just obnoxious.

yeah, ya'll are nuts if you think holding the door is a southern thing. i've even had people from other countries hold the door for me !

yeah, ya'll are nuts if you think holding the door is a southern thing. i've even had people from other countries hold the door for me !

This. I grew up in northern NJ and worked in NYC for a couple of years. Practically every man or male student would hold a door for a girl/woman at the time. Based on my last visit, I'd say the practice has declined considerably since I was young, but I still saw some men doing so.

It's BS to claim that southerners do it because it's "tied directly to notions of patriarchal chivalry that grew out of, or was perpetuated by, the romanticism of the civil war and the antebellum south."

Fuck this Southern Hospitality BS -- people everywhere hold the door for other people. People in the midwest will give a muthafucka ten steps and hold the door for a man, woman, dog. Nobody is more polite than people in the midwest -- they just don't say ma'am and sir because that's just obnoxious.

I agree. But many southerners, including some posters on the last few pages, apparently consider it a unique part of Southern culture.

This. I grew up in northern NJ and worked in NYC for a couple of years. Practically every man or male student would hold a door for a girl/woman at the time. Based on my last visit, I'd say the practice has declined considerably since I was young, but I still saw some men doing so.

It's BS to claim that southerners do it because it's "tied directly to notions of patriarchal chivalry that grew out of, or was perpetuated by, the romanticism of the civil war and the antebellum south."

Says the guy who grew up in NJ.

Where do you think most southerners learned to hold the door for people?

But it's not unique...

I agree.

If any part of holding the door for others or other acts of hospitality are unique to the South it is the origins of those practices and the importance placed on them as being representative of Southern culture. Those are the pieces I suggested were connected to the same worldview that supported the Lost Cause mythology. I'm honestly sorry I brought it up since it wasn't particularly relevant to my overall point.

Says the guy who grew up in NJ.

Where do you think most southerners learned to hold the door for people?

Same place I did - from their parents. It was/is considered good manners and not unique to the section of the country you grew up in. Hell, probably 20% of the citizens of my town didn't speak english at home and they opened doors for women, too

Must have missed him. I haven't seen anyone call anyone else sexist since I started posting on this thread.

The substance of the thread I entered was whether commenting on a woman's appearance in a skirt as she left the elevator is appropriate and confusion as to why a woman would react negatively to numbers simply holding the door for her. Apologies if I missed something.

It is not entertaining to have to read post-after-post of you jacking yourself off.

/thread for me.

Same place I did - from their parents. It was/is considered good manners and not unique to the section of the country you grew up in. Hell, probably 20% of the citizens of my town didn't speak english at home and they opened doors for women, too

And where did their parents learn it from?

(And for the last time, I agree that it is not unique to the South)

I feel that holding the door for fellow man is instinctive, rather than a learned behavior, regardless of what part of the country you live in.

11th Commandment: Thou shalt not be a dick and holdeth the door when appropriate

It is not entertaining to have to read post-after-post of you jacking yourself off.

/thread for me.

I'm not here to entertain. I'm here to offer and defend my takes, hot or cold. I was under the impression that's what the Tunnels were for.

If I say something on here and someone calls it bullshit, disagrees, misunderstands, or deliberately misstates what I said then I'm going to argue with you. If that's not what you are here for then don't respond to my posts.

:noidea:

Back