• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Me Too [Cuomo joins hall of shame]

Man, this went from a really good, albeit testy, thread to a complete dumpster fire. RC looking very [Redacted]-like.

I saw some posts (perhaps trolling) expressing confusion as to whether commenting on a woman's appearance in a skirt was appropriate and why a woman might react negatively to having the door held for her by numbers. I knew that a culture change was needed. I knew if I was going to build a strong foundation the right way I would have to start with the antebellum South.

I'll cop to ruining the thread, but will note that no one has disagreed or attempted to refute anything I have actually said. The collection of strawmen is impressive though.

I saw some posts (perhaps trolling) expressing confusion as to whether commenting on a woman's appearance in a skirt was appropriate and why a woman might react negatively to having the door held for her by numbers. I knew that a culture change was needed. I knew if I was going to build a strong foundation the right way I would have to start with the antebellum South.

I'll cop to ruining the thread, but will note that no one has disagreed or attempted to refute anything I have actually said. The collection of strawmen is impressive though.

I don't even know what you're saying.

This thread started as a discussion of GHW Bush's groping of a woman during a photo op and whether it was letgit for the woman to be pissed about it and to shame GHWB, and old man who lived a great life of service to our country, for his actions. Some men said it sucked that she did that to him and maybe she should have handled it better, other men came along and proclaimed that perspective bullshit because sexual harassment is pervasive in our society and just because you're old doesn't excuse your actions. Many of us argued that criticizing the woman for the way she handled it while giving GHWB a pass because he's old, just help perpetuate the problem and exacerbates the problem because it really victim shaming. LBE came along and educated all of us. Some minds were actually changed on the subject and the thread actually had value, but later it devolved into jokes and curious questions about door holding, which you took seriously and railed against proclaiming this to be a #notallmen thread which is disingenuous to all the good discussion that came before. Read the whole thread if you what to see what good the Tunnels can actually serve, or don't and enter a conversation late and piss everybody off.

I don't even know what you're saying.

This thread started as a discussion of GHW Bush's groping of a woman during a photo op and whether it was letgit for the woman to be pissed about it and to shame GHWB, and old man who lived a great life of service to our country, for his actions. Some men said it sucked that she did that to him and maybe she should have handled it better, other men came along and proclaimed that perspective bullshit because sexual harassment is pervasive in our society and just because you're old doesn't excuse your actions. Many of us argued that criticizing the woman for the way she handled it while giving GHWB a pass because he's old, just help perpetuate the problem and exacerbates the problem because it really victim shaming. LBE came along and educated all of us. Some minds were actually changed on the subject and the thread actually had value, but later it devolved into jokes and curious questions about door holding, which you took seriously and railed against proclaiming this to be a #notallmen thread which is disingenuous to all the good discussion that came before. Read the whole thread if you what to see what good the Tunnels can actually serve, or don't and enter a conversation late and piss everybody off.

Yeah so I actually went back and skimmed the thread after reading the post and I'm glad I did. Because that's not what happened.

I came in shortly after LbE changed tigerswood's mind somewhat. At the end of that discussion she posted an anecdote about coworkers commenting on her appearance in a skirt (post 324). Ph immediately responded with a seemingly serious question about whether a compliment would have been appropriate (325). Numbers shared a seemingly serious anecdote about being chastised for holding the door open (326 (He later stated he was actually baffled by the woman's' actions so I assume this was a real incident (362)). Creamy responded to both LbE and Numbers (327 and 328) (he later left me rep saying he was trolling).

I replied to Numbers, Ph, and Creamy in post #350 expressing disappointment in their posts because they reflected the same attitude problem (though to a much lesser degree) it appears y'all had been talking about for 17 pages. I was surprised to hear those views coming from those posters so I called them out on it. Perhaps too harshly.

There were several jokes between the posts I quoted and my first post, but also a serious post Fromm junebug posing a similar question to Ph's.

WFcatamount picked up the mantle from there and you even chimed in with the "Northern girl in the South learnin' our culture" trope that kicked off this asinine conversation (post 360, 381. 389).

Don't call for receipts, especially from someone who doesn't know he has them, if you know you aren't going to like what they have to say. I'll go ahead and rescind my claim on ruining this thread.

Yeah so I actually went back and skimmed the thread after reading the post and I'm glad I did. Because that's not what happened.

I came in shortly after LbE changed tigerswood's mind somewhat. At the end of that discussion she posted an anecdote about coworkers commenting on her appearance in a skirt (post 324). Ph immediately responded with a seemingly serious question about whether a compliment would have been appropriate (325). Numbers shared a seemingly serious anecdote about being chastised for holding the door open (326 (He later stated he was actually baffled by the woman's' actions so I assume this was a real incident (362)). Creamy responded to both LbE and Numbers (327 and 328) (he later left me rep saying he was trolling).

I replied to Numbers, Ph, and Creamy in post #350 expressing disappointment in their posts because they reflected the same attitude problem (though to a much lesser degree) it appears y'all had been talking about for 17 pages. I was surprised to hear those views coming from those posters so I called them out on it. Perhaps too harshly.

There were several jokes between the posts I quoted and my first post, but also a serious post Fromm junebug posing a similar question to Ph's.

WFcatamount picked up the mantle from there and you even chimed in with the "Northern girl in the South learnin' our culture" trope that kicked off this asinine conversation (post 360, 381. 389).

Don't call for receipts, especially from someone who doesn't know he has them, if you know you aren't going to like what they have to say. I'll go ahead and rescind my claim on ruining this thread.

Actually I was commenting on it because I believe another poster pointed out the difference about a page behind my post. I hadn't thought about it that way before because I had assumed everyone just kinda holds the door open for people regardless of where they lived. I wanted ask a broader sample size of people from the northeast to confirm if it was accurate. The reports were mixed.

Then you chimed in with "actually it is racist it to hold the door because the civil war" troupe that kicked off this asinine conversation.

Don't really care what happened to her, If she wants to be an ass about someone holding the door then she is an ass. Peoples history always determine their personal level of asshatery, but shouldn't excuse it.

That's like saying, well Bob killed a guy, but did you ever consider that his mom not loving him enough led him to kill that hooker?? Stop being insensitive of Bob's problems.

I don't think it is offense as much as it would be a note to self that this girl is rude and someone to generally avoid (maybe it is what she wants anyways).

Those are your first two posts on holding the door in this thread (both quoting posts of mine). Your third was asking yankee(face)s about holding the door, to which I replied.

I didn't point out the connection between southern hospitality and southern exceptionalism/Lost Cause mythology until a page and a half later.

Nice try though.

Actually I was commenting on it because I believe another poster pointed out the difference about a page behind my post. I hadn't thought about it that way before because I had assumed everyone just kinda holds the door open for people regardless of where they lived. I wanted ask a broader sample size of people from the northeast to confirm if it was accurate. The reports were mixed.

Then you chimed in with "actually it is racist it to hold the door because the civil war" troupe that kicked off this asinine conversation.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Rchildress taking ITC’s insufferable crown, what ya gonna do about it?

welcome to sexual assault by politicians threads, jh. we're anxiously awaiting further input.

Back