• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Me Too [Cuomo joins hall of shame]

We have a huge prison rape epidemic in this country. Having a judge say that she wishes a defendant could be sentenced to such is inappropriate.

We have a huge prison rape epidemic in this country. Having a judge say that she wishes a defendant could be sentenced to such is inappropriate.

Definitely. But overall making a statement after sentencing is not a huge deal given the severity of the case.

From what I’ve heard and read on this, it seems like it boiled down to Nasser having this stellar rep as a doctor and not enough people in power believing young women and girls. Seems crazy but that part of sadly typical.

Just to be clear, I commend her for letting all of the accusers testify at the sentencing hearing. Courts usually allow and encourage such testimony in sentencing hearings, and especially here where you had a guilty plea so there wasn't a trial on guilt/innocence. I just thought she was a bit unjudgelike and over the top in her comments.

That's fair. But on the list of things I care about in this case, whether the judge acted judgelike is below the floor boards low. Certainly well below how the judge made the victims feel.

This fucker wrote a letter complaining that hearing the victims statements was rough on him. He claimed that the media is responsible for convincing the victims that what he did to them was wrong. He included, in the letter, "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." I applaud the judge for not bonking him over the head with her gavel.

That's fair. But on the list of things I care about in this case, whether the judge acted judgelike is below the floor boards low. Certainly well below how the judge made the victims feel.

This fucker wrote a letter complaining that hearing the victims statements was rough on him. He claimed that the media is responsible for convincing the victims that what he did to them was wrong. He included, in the letter, "hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." I applaud the judge for not bonking him over the head with her gavel.

I said as much in both of my posts above - that she was over the top but I really didn't care. But this is why cameras shouldn't be in the courtroom - you risk judges playing up to the camera, especially in states where judges are elected. It can be disgusting on occasion here in VA where judges are appointed by the General Assembly because you have to be a Dem or Pub based on the party in power at a given time, but the majority of the time they do a decent job of appointing qualified judges. Like in recent years where you pretty much have to be a Pub to get appointed in VA, but most of the Pub judges in my area have been pretty well qualified. But I'll take that any day of the week over electing judges - you end up with too many Roy Beans that way.

And yes, his letter was beyond infuriating.

Dozens of People Recount Pattern of Sexual Misconduct by Las Vegas Mogul Steve Wynn

The contrast between Mr. Wynn’s position and that of the salon and spa employees is stark. Former employees said their awareness of Mr. Wynn’s power in Las Vegas, combined with the knowledge that the jobs they held were among the best-paying available there, added up to a feeling of dependence and intimidation when Mr. Wynn made requests of them.

Some said that feeling was heightened at times by the presence in a confined office space of one or more of his German shepherds, trained to respond to commands in German.

"Russia, if you're listening, I hope you're able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing..."

people realize this was a sentencing hearing, right? not a trial? WGAF - stop sexually assaulting people

I didn't know Steve Wynn was the Finance Chair for the RNC.

That's relevant to this thread, btw. Source: everywhere.

Conservatives demand Weinstein Democratic campaign contributions be returned in light of sexual harassment. Should I assume these same conservatives will demand Wynn campaign contributions be returned? Or, will we get a couple of rounds of whataboutisms?

There’s something to be said for sending a message to sexual abusers and victims that the criminal justice system will not turn a blind eye anymore.

We can’t pretend Nassar is the only man abusing his power like that.

Ummm...

Why should Scott Baio go to jail for a sexual assault Nicole Eggert *slams book closed* noticed?

Yet another prominent conservative.

Back