• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Meditation

Also, I find myself most often doing a modified meditation (I’ve never written this out before, so maybe it’s dumb but whatever) — I will lie on my couch with no screens/tvs/books/noise/activity for about half an hour. and this attracts my two dogs who will happily lie with me to be petted, which kinda acts as a fidget spinner type of outlet for the energy that makes it hard to get there mentally. I find this works for me to clear the head but idk if it technically counts?

I've tried meditating for like 15-20 minutes at a time and without fail I just fall asleep. I try to just spend 5 minutes with my eyes closed in the shower and breathe in and out (focusing on breathing itself) or before I go to bed (so it just fades into sleeping lol). Seems to help out

I want to enjoy and utilize meditation techniques but a lot of my anxiety is tied up in breathing stuff, and I don’t like calling attention to it or thinking too intimately about it. For whatever reason I immediately tie it to my own mortality and awareness of it.

But I do want some non therapy or yoga based methods for mindfulness that will help me slow down and be present and gain clarity and shit if anyone has any secrets

It’s expensive and hard to find but sensory deprivation or sound bath type immersive stuff is pretty great

I think I went about it in kind of the opposite way most people do in that first I tried to become more mindful and understanding, which led to more situations where I felt comfortable meditating

Im with everyone who says “I don’t mediate as much as I should”, but I got to even this point by listening to Zen audio-books to fall asleep. Every night I would throw on something like Thich Nhat Hanh (Eduardo Ballerini narrating preferably). I wouldn’t meditate, but after listening to that philosophy for long enough, it kept meditation and mindfulness at the forefront of my mind each day. Eventually I started to feel silly when I got angry over almost anything, which led to being more appreciative of things, which left me in a more conducive mental state to meditate.

Last edited:
I want to enjoy and utilize meditation techniques but a lot of my anxiety is tied up in breathing stuff, and I don’t like calling attention to it or thinking too intimately about it. For whatever reason I immediately tie it to my own mortality and awareness of it.

But I do want some non therapy or yoga based methods for mindfulness that will help me slow down and be present and gain clarity and shit if anyone has any secrets

Ever read about kinhin? Instead of a zazen breathing focused avenue, the focus lies on foot and leg. Generally the two are coupled throughout a day a sangha, but might be worth digging into some reading of which I can point you toward some stuff through the lens of zen.

Ever read about kinhin? Instead of a zazen breathing focused avenue, the focus lies on foot and leg. Generally the two are coupled throughout a day a sangha, but might be worth digging into some reading of which I can point you toward some stuff through the lens of zen.
Yea sounds cool

Meditation means something different to everyone and there are many different forms. I tried the TM (transcendental meditation) apps but they never caught on for me, in part because I struggle to meditate in my house or in other everyday locations. When I really want to meditate I go to either a riffle in a river or to a high vantage point. The sound of a riffle instantly puts me in a good mood and I am fortunate to live near a greenway / creek. A high vantage point allows me to zoom out and see things from a higher perspective, literally and figuratively. I don’t worry too much about the breathing techniques, I just take deep breaths and I let my mind go wherever it wants to go.

Mindfulness meditation is different than flow state (or ‘runner’s high’). When I have an important work task to do, I get into flow state with trance tracks and I tell Alexa or Spotify to repeat the song. I also achieve flow state with my workout routine. When I lift I’m only focused on lifting, and when I’m in the sauna I’ll either flip over to mindfulness meditation or I’ll engage with the other dudes if they want to engage. It’s a great way to start the day. I enjoy sports like golf and fishing because it’s fun to flip between socializing and flow state.

i was intrigued by TM -- mostly because of David Lynch -- but digging deeper made the membership model pretty unappealing

Back