• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Golf - Primland Collegiate

Don't we have great recruits coming next year as well ? Go deacs ! Primland is just northeast of Mt Airy in the middle of nowhere. The views of the valleys below the ridgecrest are beautiful. It's pricy but you have the whole course to yourself . It's worth playing occasionally . The place is immaculate .

We have brought in 4 last year, 3 this year and 2 next year. 7 of them are McD AA caliber, and you could argue we brought in the #1 player this year and have the #1 player next year.

We have brought in 4 last year, 3 this year and 2 next year. 7 of them are McD AA caliber, and you could argue we brought in the #1 player this year and have the #1 player next year.

Haas and Walters have recruited their asses off lately.

A nucleus of Cameron Young, Will Zalatoris, Paul McBride, Tanner Owen, Davis Womble, and Kyle Sterbinsky is going to be very tough to beat. We will have serious depth for the next few years.

Haas and Walters have recruited their asses off lately.

A nucleus of Cameron Young, Will Zalatoris, Paul McBride, Tanner Owen, Davis Womble, and Kyle Sterbinsky is going to be very tough to beat. We will have serious depth for the next few years.

Danny Guise and Clancy Waugh as well. There will be some very good players staying at home next year.

Any Wake connection to this development? There are a lot of good courses in the Triad, so I'm curious why they do this home tourney event at Primland in VA. Sounds like a great venue but maybe not the most challenging layout for that caliber of player.

Danny Guise and Clancy Waugh as well. There will be some very good players staying at home next year.

That's what I mean by depth. Guise played fantastic golf this week. I'm stoked for the next few years.

Also have to think that putting on old town every day certainly helped our guys be able to navigate the severely undulating greens at Primland.

It seems like we just have more players this year period. I guess having more recognizable names makes it seem that way.

Pumped to see what they guys can do the next couple of years.

Our talent level is significantly increased. I know the coaches adjusted their recruiting approach a couple of years ago, but I am still blown away at their ability to load up this much talent with only 4.5 scholarships to give out.

Keeping Paul McBride will be important. British guy Chris Cannon left after a great fall in his Freshman year of 07. Obviously Darren Clarke left after a year or semester in the late 80s. Hopefully all of this depth will create great competition and not cause guys to leave. No doubt the talent level is the highest it has been in a very long time.

Our talent level is significantly increased. I know the coaches adjusted their recruiting approach a couple of years ago, but I am still blown away at their ability to load up this much talent with only 4.5 scholarships to give out.

Golf is one of those sports (like tennis) where many, if not most, of the best players are not sticker shocked by the tuition bill at Wake.

Any Wake connection to this development? There are a lot of good courses in the Triad, so I'm curious why they do this home tourney event at Primland in VA.

Don't know the exact details, but Primland does list Webb, Jay Haas, and Bill Haas as representative touring pros. So there is a connection there. In the Tavistock Cup (tournament between high end golf clubs) those wake guys and Fred Couples represent Primland. Pretty cool stuff.

That's not true at all.

Maybe I should clarify. Proportionally, I would guess the top talent can afford to take partial scholarships to Wake as opposed to other sports. Though I don't really have the data to pack this up. Just a hunch.

Well damn, lets win a natty
Agreed, but almost as important for me as a championship is to get some guys who I can follow for 10-20 years on the pro tour after they leave Wake. I was in school with Strange, Haas, Byman, Hoch et al and while those guys were the highest-profile athletes on campus and the back-to-back championships were great, I bet 95% of the students never saw them swing a club until they went to the PGA.* It is fun to have strong rooting interests when they turn pro; think how cool it must be to be a Georgia alum and almost every week have one of your guys in contention on Sunday.

* does not include drunken Wake golfers on Saturday night launching 8 irons at the "Par Tree" course in front of the library.

Agreed, but almost as important for me as a championship is to get some guys who I can follow for 10-20 years on the pro tour after they leave Wake. I was in school with Strange, Haas, Byman, Hoch et al and while those guys were the highest-profile athletes on campus and the back-to-back championships were great, I bet 95% of the students never saw them swing a club until they went to the PGA.* It is fun to have strong rooting interests when they turn pro; think how cool it must be to be a Georgia alum and almost every week have one of your guys in contention on Sunday.

* does not include drunken Wake golfers on Saturday night launching 8 irons at the "Par Tree" course in front of the library.

Byman was the only one of those guys that I knew and talked to. A few years back, I took a series of lessons from him at the TPC Las Vegas where he has teaching privileges. Good guy and a good teacher.

Byman was the only one of those guys that I knew and talked to. A few years back, I took a series of lessons from him at the TPC Las Vegas where he has teaching privileges. Good guy and a good teacher.

He was leaving Wake about the time I got there, but another Wake "legend" was Eddie Pearce, "the next Jack Nicklaus". He was among the last of the generation who viewed the PGA tour as one big road tripping party interrupted by a few hours of golf each day.

So yea, there are a couple guys out there currently you can root for.

"Boulder" Bob Byman was US Junior champion and a 3 time AA at WFU. He won at Bay Hill during his rookie year and was solid for about 3 years on tour. Then he kind of pulled a David Duval and couldn't hit the ball on the clubface. He just disappeared :(. BTW, he left school early due to the Ron Roberts debacle .

Good article, thanks for posting. Seth is rocking a sweet peter millar wake pullover

Back