• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Golf: We just signed a rising 9th Grader

Cameron Young lost to Gunn Yang last year in the quarterfinals.

Young gets Jon Rahm, the top ranked amateur in the world, in the 2nd round.

Speaking of recruits.....hello Sierra Brooks :thumbsup:

2015-sierra-brooks-Sally-4021_t620.jpg

Last edited:
Glad I remembered to record the TV coverage today - hopefully they'll be covered.

Young is getting worked as Rahm is 6 up through 11.

Zalatoris is all square through 12.

Tough matchup for Young. Still a good showing to knock off the defending champ yesterday. Time to get to class

Young is 18 years old and has won matches in the match play part of the US Am 2 years in a row. That's impressive work. He and Zalatoris will make for a great 1-2 punch in our lineup.

Also, this match play experience will only help if we ever make it to the NCAA finals with this current roster.

Performing well in a US Am is a legit as it gets. Such a high level of talent there. How many other schools (if any) have more than one player in the final 32?

I'm not sure. Zalatoris smoked a good player from Ok St yesterday. Needs to dig in here and pull this match out though.

Illinois has 2 (Petry and Burge)
UVA has 2 (McCarthy and Derek Bard), although I think McCarthy might have graduated and is staying an am in the hopes he gets a Walker Cup spot.

There are still 5 Walker Cup spots up for grabs, with 2 of them going to mid-ams. The prevailing sentiment is that 2 of the 3 spots not held for mid-ams are going to Robby Shelton and Jordan Niebrugge. That leaves one spot, which could go to McCarthy if there isn't a surprise American winner of the US Am. I think the 2 mid-ams are going to be Nathan Smith and Scott Harvey.

Illinois has 2 (Petry and Burge)
UVA has 2 (McCarthy and Derek Bard), although I think McCarthy might have graduated and is staying an am in the hopes he gets a Walker Cup spot.

There are still 5 Walker Cup spots up for grabs, with 2 of them going to mid-ams. The prevailing sentiment is that 2 of the 3 spots not held for mid-ams are going to Robby Shelton and Jordan Niebrugge. That leaves one spot, which could go to McCarthy if there isn't a surprise American winner of the US Am. I think the 2 mid-ams are going to be Nathan Smith and Scott Harvey.

Has Zalatoris already made it?

Edit - No he has not. Deserves it though.

Zalatoris didn't play well and lost. 1 birdie on the day; even so, he was 2 up through 8, and then boogied 4 of his last 9 holes to lose 3 and 1. Bummer. McCarthy was a senior at UVA; had heard that he was going to turn pro before the US Am; guess not.

Has Zalatoris already made it?

Edit - No he has not. Deserves it though.

Zalatoris missed out on some of the bigger Am events earlier in the summer after his appendix was removed. Probably needed those to boost his resume. If we were going off winning a USGA event a year ago, Mike McCoy would get the other mid Am spot over Nathan Smith.

The final Walker Cup picks are in.

The two mid ams are Harvey and Mike McCoy.
The other 3 are Jordan Niebrugge, Denny McCarthy and Robby Shelton .

Glad McCoy made it. Thought he should've been on the team 2 years ago.

Back