• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Golf

I can only assume that folks are emotionally attached to the Haas name. His tenure just hasn't been that great. Certainly not good enough to have not tried something else a while ago. Without the Haas name, would he still be at Wake?

Much like Wellman, many supporters want to give him all the credit for isolated stand-out accomplishments while excusing larger systemic failures....happy to give a golf clap, slap on the back and celebrate Wake's "culture" of long pants and mediocrity. He should absolutely be winding down and going out on a high note rather than getting a raise and an extension as some have suggested. There's no evidence from 22 years of trying that he can build a consistently high performing program. Wellman's multi-decade reign is over. Time for some new blood.

Who are "folks"? Outside of TheReff (whose "takes" aren't taken seriously by anyone on here with an IQ over 90), who has really been beating the Haas drum? I dare say most thought he should have been gone after yet another postseason flame out last year. It seems that the defense of him now is more against the couple of people that immediately posted "another choke - Haas must go!", right after the match play loss. Basically saying "this is the one year that you can't really call for his head." I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 95% of people that really pay attention on here get that college golf is different than it was in the 70s when Wake dominated, but think that Wake has way underperformed the last 10-15 years, especially in the postseason. Finally, they put together a season that should match the expectations that most have for the golf program. Plus they have what looks to be another good team next season. Hopefully this season was a sign of things to come, and not a one year anomaly. If it turns out to be the latter, you'd hope some of the ex-players would start putting pressure on for a change.

If it turns out to be the latter, you'd hope some of the ex-players would start putting pressure on for a change.

I'd hoped that years ago after the Hass/Webb years...but too many of the ex-players played with Haas, or share his name, for that to happen at ole' Wake Forest where no one dare speak up and demand greatness.

Well, I was at the game where we beat Stanford with Luck at QB, so there's that! :thumbsup:

That was a fun game. Especially when a block in the back against Stanford that nullified a late Stanford TD that would have likely won the game for them was called and sent Harbaugh into a fit of stomping and spewing rage at the refs.

That was a fun game. Especially when a block in the back against Stanford that nullified a late Stanford TD that would have likely won the game for them was called and sent Harbaugh into a fit of stomping and spewing rage at the refs.

In addition to Luck, Stanford had a RB who was getting some Heisman run. What was the guy's name, and did he do much against us? (too lazy to look it up)

In addition to Luck, Stanford had a RB who was getting some Heisman run. What was the guy's name, and did he do much against us? (too lazy to look it up)

Toby Gerhart - 2nd in the Heisman vote, and no he did not do much against us (ran for that TD that was called back)

Heard a funny story that the official who made that call worked as a replacement official for the NFL in 2012 when the league locked out the regulars. He had a 49ers game, and Harbaugh went up to him and said he looked familiar. The official didn’t confirm that they’d met before.

Toby Gerhart. Became the backup for AP in Minnesota before doing nothing at all in Jacksonville.

Coach of the year candidate, #3 regular season finish & #5 finish final. Great season by Coach Haas and the Deacs! Going nowhere & contract extension!

Why extend him? Who is going to hire him away? What are his other employment options? Senior tour is impossible to get on with no status. He could work for the Golf Channel or in sales but he’s not leaving WF for another coaching job. We could replace him in a heartbeat. Accordingly, he should be hired year to year.

Not saying he should replaced, just that a long term deal shouldn’t be offered. A raise or bonus would be appropriate.

WF senior Cameron Young crushed the field in his US Open Sectional Qualifier in Purchase, NY. He finished the 36 hole event at -4 finishing 5 shots ahead of the next closest qualifier. 4 golfers from that sectional make the US Open. Also, some guy from Winston-Salem named Ryan Sullivan is tied for the lead in the Rockville, MD sectional, if he can hang on over the last 3 holes (the top 4 golfers in that sectional also qualify), Sullivan will also play in the US Open.

Doesn't get much better than playing in the US Open at Pebble Beach.

Last edited:
WF senior Cameron Young crushed the field in his US Open Sectional Qualifier in Purchase, NY. He finished the 36 hole event at -4 finishing 5 shots ahead of the next closest qualifier. 4 golfers from that sectional make the US Open. Also, some guy from Winston-Salem named Ryan Sullivan is tied for the lead in the Rockville, MD sectional, if he can hang on over the last 3 holes (the top 4 golfers in that sectional also qualify), Sullivan will also play in the US Open.

Doesn't get much better than playing in the US Open at Pebble Beach.

I bought my dad tickets to this year’s US Open for Father’s Day last year and he couldn’t make the trip so I just sold them. That one hurt.

I've played a ton with Sullivan. Actually saw him Thursday evening hanging out at our member guest and he was hilariously trying to explain to his date why the qualifier today was important.

This is his 2nd US Open. He played at Merion.

Had a teammate in high school that played a decent amount of golf with Sullivan growing up. Good for him.

I've played a ton with Sullivan. Actually saw him Thursday evening hanging out at our member guest and he was hilariously trying to explain to his date why the qualifier today was important.

This is his 2nd US Open. He played at Merion.

Sully is a good guy and I've played with him a bit too. He agrees that if we have to hire a big breaker for the men's golf team in the same way the ladies did that Blair O'Neal might be someone the guys would want to play for.

Toby Gerhart - 2nd in the Heisman vote, and no he did not do much against us (ran for that TD that was called back)

I need to check, but I’m pretty sure that season we were the only team to hold him to under 100 yards rushing prior to Heisman voting.

Back