• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Men's Watches

Sgt Hulka

Board Big Toe
Reaction score
It may have been on the old boards, but I remember a Men's Watch thread a while ago. There seemed to be some pretty astute watch guys on here and I am in the market for a new watch.

I really don't want to spend more than $1k and would like something that I can wear for business and casual attire. I am not a fan of leather wrist bands. Any suggestions?

Oris, Longines, Hamilton are solid brands

Definitely get an automatic movement

Don't be afraid of watch forums like watchuseek (watchrecon is a good site that aggregates forum posts)

Watch geek myself here and I'm a fan of Ball watches- famous for "being on the Ball" back in early railroad history.

They've resurfaced within the last decade or so as a Swiss watch with automatic movements and always on tritium tubes for lume- pretty cool.

I've got 2 of them- because every man should have 2 Balls. :)

Garmin.

I wear it every day. If I want a new watch face, I download it.

You could always go with something like a Tissot as an entry to Swiss watches. If you want to bump up against the $1000 mark I think Oris has some nice watches and starts just under that price point.

You can pick up a pretty nice TAG Heuer for $1,000. You can get an even nicer one for twice that.

0-1000 is quite a range. You should probably figure out if you want quartz or automatic movement first and then go from there.

0-1000 is quite a range. You should probably figure out if you want quartz or automatic movement first and then go from there.

I never thought about this aspect of the watch. What are the benefits/drawbacks of each? Also, $0 is not really an option. It is more like $650-$1k.

I never thought about this aspect of the watch. What are the benefits/drawbacks of each? Also, $0 is not really an option. It is more like $650-$1k.

Quartz you have to change the battery and auto you don't, for one. Many believe quartz keeps better time but that autos will last longer.

You can find articles online to thoroughly explain the movements. You should probably also figure out what you want in terms of functions, aesthetics, water resistance, all that kind of stuff too.

Seems like your range will get you a really nice quartz watch (for well under $1000) or an entry level Swiss watch.

Thanks 06 and W&B. I will do a little more research. I also thought Omegas were in the $5k range...

Thanks 06 and W&B. I will do a little more research. I also thought Omegas were in the $5k range...

My quartz Seamaster was about $1400 when I got it in 2001. A little more than you wanted to spend but its still keeping great time and would prob be worth it. I have had it serviced once for $350, and I have had the battery changed about 3 times in 16 years, each time for about $150 by an Omega jeweler who resets the pressure properly.

A friend of mine has an automatic Omega and he complains of poor timekeepting, but also admits he's never had it serviced or adjusted. My dad had an automatic Seamaster from the 1950's (kinda why I got one when he passed away) and he had to adjust the time at least once a week as well. I always figured that was just a fact of life for auto wearers.

Last edited:
Every watch I own is an automatic. It's true that they lose a second or two a day, but that's not really a big deal for me. I also rotate through them frequently enough that I'm having to reset the time anyway since they all have between 42 and 48 hour power reserves.

Back