• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Miami's coaching search

Katz' take:

Miami: Haith was a surprise choice at Missouri, leaving behind some serious talent in Reggie Johnson inside and Durand Scott on the perimeter. Miami isn't going to go after hometown coach Frank Martin of Kansas State. Former BC coach Al Skinner makes sense, given his previous success in the ACC, but it's unclear what direction the Canes will go at this juncture. Might Florida Atlantic's Mike Jarvis get another shot in a big-time conference?

Seriously? Al Skinner over Frank Martin? Mike Jarvis? :wtf:

Frank Martin is a great motivator - he's had his KSU teams playing way over their heads every year. Dude is a very good coach, and his teams play their absolute balls off for them - never seen a team play as hard as they do. Put him at Miami and they are a top 5 ACC team nearly every year.

So of course, they won't even contact him.

Al Skinner, Mike Jarvis, Tommy Amaker, Mike Davis if they really wanted a black coach, i am sure they could do better than this lot

Miami is completely going to botch this. No doubt in my mind.

If race is important, breaking the bank to hire a son of Cuban immigrants who grew up in Miami, coached HS basketball in Miami, and graduated from FIU would be a no-brainer. I assume he speaks Spanish which would be huge for promoting Miami hoops.

If he can put more butts in the seats, it will pay off.

Of course, one thing the U 30 for 30 taught me is that Miami is way more like Wake than you'd likely believe and there's no way in hell we'd touch the guy. Maybe their alums have similar hang ups to what our alums would have.

University of Miami officials flew to Boston on Monday to meet with Harvard's Tommy Amaker in an attempt to woo the Crimson coach to the ACC school, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

Another coach, who is on Miami's short list, is Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Rob Jeter. Miami president Donna Shalala was a former president at Wisconsin. Jeter was a former assistant coach at Wisconsin under Bo Ryan
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6330878&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Martin is better than all those coaches IMO.

It's hysterical that Miami is probably going to end up with a better coach than State when they were up for the same coaches in the same period and State hired first

Alabama Birmingham's Mike Davis, Murray State's Billy Kennedy, Harvard's Tommy Amaker, Richmond's Chris Mooney, former Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel and former Arkansas coach John Pelphrey

None of those coaches are particularly good. Except maybe Mooney, who is obviously a no go for the State job due to the Princeton. They're either nearly carbon copies of Gottfried (pretty good success for a while then tanking- Capel, Davis) or worse and no real success at their last big job (Amaker, Pelphrey) or two up and comers in Mooney (Princeton offense is an obvious no go for our job. Plus I highly doubt he's gonna go there) and Billy Kennedy.

I'm not enamored with Gottfried, but he's at least as good as most of those coaches (who knows with the two up and comers). Unless they pony up and get Martin I don't think they're going to be doing any better than us.

Gottfried made 5 straight tourneys, an Elite 8, three NITs (one being the runner-up) in ten and a half seasons at Alabama, that's not too bad. Especially considering no one in Alabama cares about basketball. The only guy who can match that out of that list is Mike Davis.

To think that by this time tomorrow or Wednesday, 4 of the 5 most recent ACC coaching hires will be Jeff [Redacted], Brian Gregory, Mark Gottfried, and (possibly) Tommy Amaker gives me a mix of shock, mild embarrassment, and resignation that the times really have changed.

Edited to note that Brownell would be the 5th, and it's not like he was some great home-run hire, either; just more defensible with at least some discernible upside, unlike the other 4 (IMHO).

Last edited:
Agreed. The ACC needed to make some coaching upgrades, and we did not.

To think that by this time tomorrow or Wednesday, the 4 of the 5 most recent ACC coaching hires will be Jeff [Redacted], Brian Gregory, Mark Gottfried, and (possibly) Tommy Amaker gives me a mix of shock, mild embarrassment, and resignation that the times really have changed.

Edited to note that Brownell would be the 5th, and it's not like he was some great home-run hire, either; just more defensible with at least some discernible upside, unlike the other 4 (IMHO).

Totally agree

To think that by this time tomorrow or Wednesday, the 4 of the 5 most recent ACC coaching hires will be Jeff [Redacted], Brian Gregory, Mark Gottfried, and (possibly) Tommy Amaker gives me a mix of shock, mild embarrassment, and resignation that the times really have changed.

Eh, I actually really like Brownell but your point stands. Amaker would just be a horrible hire at Miami. Of the 5 names listed, I think I actually like him the least.

I don't understand why Mooney is considered a possibility. He just signed a 10 year extension with Richmond on Mar. 27. ESPN reported it raised his yearly salary to around 1.2 mil, iirc. Did I miss something since then?

I don't understand why Mooney is considered a possibility. He just signed a 10 year extension with Richmond on Mar. 27. ESPN reported it raised his yearly salary to around 1.2 mil, iirc. Did I miss something since then?

I think he's probably someone Miami would like to talk to, but I don't see him being particularly receptive to their overtures.

martin is dirty. He won't be the hire. K-State has got to be pissed that he's begging for the Miami job ...

Back