• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Miami's coaching search

I had no idea that Frank Martin was dirty/sleazy. Seriously. What are the allegations?

wonder how/why beasley ended up in manhattan, kansas

I know he used to himself be an AAU coach and has "milked" connections with DC Assault on a number of occasions (e.g., Wally Judge). Also, he was obviously an assistant under Huggins when Huggins and co. hired Dalonte Hill from DC Assault (IIRC) to be an assistant coach so that Hill could bring a kid named Beasley with him to KSU.

Can't remember where I read it, but I read a pretty lengthy piece recently that detailed Martin's violations as a high school coach in Miami.

If Martin is dirty he'll fit right in at Miami.

If race is important, breaking the bank to hire a son of Cuban immigrants who grew up in Miami, coached HS basketball in Miami, and graduated from FIU would be a no-brainer. I assume he speaks Spanish which would be huge for promoting Miami hoops.

If he can put more butts in the seats, it will pay off.

Of course, one thing the U 30 for 30 taught me is that Miami is way more like Wake than you'd likely believe and there's no way in hell we'd touch the guy. Maybe their alums have similar hang ups to what our alums would have.

Miami's AD might be looking for a culture change, too.

I had no idea that Frank Martin was dirty/sleazy. Seriously. What are the allegations?

I don't know, but per the Miami board he is banned from ever coaching high school basketball in Florida again.

That's why he is not on their radar.

Miami hired a new AD... apparently Martin is back in the conversation.

Frank Haith hired Ernie Nestor at Mizzou. Not really relevant, but thought it was pretty interesting.

Should Mizzou fans be happy that Haith is trying to recreate the magic of the post-Duncan era?

Fuller was the lead on Rodney Purvis. Just sayin...

#pipedream

So the plot thickens.

Yesterday, Miami hired a new athletic director who is now taking over the coaching search from scratch:

Eichorst said he'll now take "complete charge of the search" and "will exhaust all means" to find the right one. He said he'll decide in the next 24 hours what role, if any, Parker Executive Search, an Atlanta-based consulting firm hired by the school, will continue to have. He also has yet to determine whether candidates who have applied will need to do so again.

He stressed the search is wide-scoping.

"Please take note: to this point, no individual has been excluded from consideration," Eichorst said. "And no individual has been offered the position to coach at the University of Miami. Any account or report otherwise is inaccurate and pure speculation."

This means Kansas State coach Frank Martin, a Miami native and son of Cuban immigrants who the 'Canes had previously not considered, could be a possibility.

. . .

Eichorst said he'll take as much time as necessary to find the right coach.

Asked what he can do to change the lack of fan support, Eichorst responded, "Win basketball games."

Link: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/um-hurricanes/fl-miami-basketball-search-20110413,0,2876701.story

Not saying this means that Martin will be hired or anything, but you've got think he's at least a candidate (or potential candidate) now that Miami is passing off the reins to its new AD.

Back