• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Miami's coaching search

The whole program rank thing usually just serves as mental masterbation for fans of programs that aren't doing squat right now to feel better about themselves.

Maryland basketball is like Wake basketball except they had a two year period of elite performance at the turn of the centry.

Last edited:
Serious question, do you believe Maryland isn't the 3rd best program in the conference? Because if you really believe that someone else is the #3 program, then I'm done here because that's borderline crazy. I don't think you really understand what better program means.

Bye. You'll be missed.

Clemson has as many NCAA trips in a row as Maryland has in their last 8 seasons (4). Clemson even changed coaches in that time. If you really want to make it look the worst you can, Maryland has only been to 3 NCAA tournaments in the last 7 years and never out of the first weekend. FSU has done both in the last 3 years and appears to have better players back and better players coming in.

Assuming Williams is not coming back, is there anyone that's really optimistic about Maryland basketball in the near term? Antwan Space apparently wasn't.

The whole program rank thing usually just serves as mental masterbation for fans of programs that aren't doing squat right now to feel better about themselves.

Maryland basketball is like Wake basketball except they had a two year period of elite performance at the turn of the centry.

"You are what your record says you are." -- Bill Parcells

ryalaman, feel free to argue with Bill Parcells.

"You are what your record says you are." -- Bill Parcells

ryalaman, feel free to argue with Bill Parcells.

lol. Sweet. Not only did you use a quote that has nothing to do with this argument, you're acting like Bill Parcells is some genius who is incapable of being wrong. Just outstanding work. You really don't get the point of the exercise do you? Wake went 1-15. Are they now a bottom 3 program in the conference? I mean, since Prosser they've been 8 games below .500 in the ACC. By your logic, its a horrible program.

Oh, and Antwaan Space is a funny one to bring up. Dude got paid. Crazy how his AAU coach/handler is the same one who sold Devonta Abron this year and Darrell Arthur a while back. There's also an outstanding picture of him on the internet (can't find it now) where he's holding a few thousand dollars in his hand. Idiot tweeted it over the summer.

lol. Sweet. Not only did you use a quote that has nothing to do with this argument, you're acting like Bill Parcells is some genius who is incapable of being wrong. Just outstanding work. You really don't get the point of the exercise do you? Wake went 1-15. Are they now a bottom 3 program in the conference? I mean, since Prosser they've been 8 games below .500 in the ACC. By your logic, its a horrible program.

Oh, and Antwaan Space is a funny one to bring up. Dude got paid. Crazy how his AAU coach/handler is the same one who sold Devonta Abron this year and Darrell Arthur a while back. There's also an outstanding picture of him on the internet (can't find it now) where he's holding a few thousand dollars in his hand. Idiot tweeted it over the summer.

Few fans would disagree that Wake is in a tough place as a program. So is Maryland.

You have to look at more than a year to determine where a program is, but you can't be going back 10-20-30 years either. That's ancient history to the players you're recruiting.

Seems like Jeter is the man.

Just looked up on wikipedia. He has a rather uninspiring record.

lol. Sweet. Not only did you use a quote that has nothing to do with this argument,

How the hell does it not? You're arguing that some compendium of factors not related to competitiveness on the court adds up to being a better program. I'm offering the words of one of the best coaches in all of sports to speak for me. Because using my own words, along with actual numbers, several times over hasn't sunken into your skull yet, I thought it might help.

you're acting like Bill Parcells is some genius who is incapable of being wrong. Just outstanding work.

He's forgotten more about winning than most likely anyone on this board ever knew. I don't know if he's a genius or not, but he won two Super Bowls without having a single Hall of Famer on offense (and didn't have one on the SB team that lost either). Pretty sure he's the only coach to ever do that, I'm not counting Belichick because Brady will be a HOF QB, most of them have either a HOF QB or RB. So, call me crazy, but I think his words have some value where winning and losing are concerned.

You really don't get the point of the exercise do you? Wake went 1-15. Are they now a bottom 3 program in the conference? I mean, since Prosser they've been 8 games below .500 in the ACC. By your logic, its a horrible program.

Well, that isn't my logic at all because I never made one year stand for a program (and in fact in the example of Jim Calhoun and Billy Donovan, it's shown that year-after-year NCAA appearances aren't required to win championships; they've both missed in recent years), but it's not good. If Wake has another season or two like the last one, then I don't see how you wouldn't say they were at or near the bottom of the league.

Send it to the NCAA, or quit whining about it. Bottom line is FSU's recruiting looks better than Maryland's, as does their prospective roster, and their recent history. No one goes into the season saying "boy what are we going to do about Maryland" anymore.

This is getting boring. I was really hoping you were serious about being done with this thread.

Seems like Jeter is the man.

Just looked up on wikipedia. He has a rather uninspiring record.

Tied for 1st in the Horizon with Butler this year. Seems similar to Haith except Jeter coached at a mid-major first.

Tied for 1st in the Horizon with Butler this year. Seems similar to Haith except Jeter coached at a mid-major first.

Didn't half that league tie for first this year?

Seems like Jeter hasn't had the program at the same level as previous coaches. But then the previous coach didn't get a Miami-caliber job.

Frank Martin's reputation in the U circles must really be mud.

First off, Maryland SHOULD be the 3rd best program, but that's about it. Current recruits were like 7 or 8 when UMD won the NC, and that's just not relevant anymore until you get kids in the Comcast Center and show them the banner. It can help recruiting obviously, but no kid is going to look at UMD because of the NC. It's just the way it is.

Also, Maryland SHOULD be the 3rd best program because it's far from Duke and UNC and the DC/Baltimore region has so much talent. NO ONE CARES ABOUT MARYLAND THOUGH. Seriously, I lived there before the NC, during the NC, and after the NC. No one talks about Maryland basketball, which is really, really sad. I like Maryland, too. Look at the point guards in the class of 2010. There were studs at Dematha, Prep, O'Connell, and Gonzaga. Did any of them even consider Maryland? I'd like to see the last time there were four elite recruits at the same position 30 miles from a BCS school's campus (actually, three within 10 miles) who didn't even consider that school.

I'm just hoping once GW leaves, they do their due diligence and nab an elite coach because they should be a really, really good program.

Last edited:

How does he seem similar to Haith? I suppose he was an assistant for a very successful head coach, but then Ryan's style is entirely different from Barnes (recruiting versus coaching).

In the Horizon Jeter has finished better than 4th twice in six years. His predecessor finished better than 4th five out of five years.

How does he seem similar to Haith? I suppose he was an assistant for a very successful head coach, but then Ryan's style is entirely different from Barnes (recruiting versus coaching).

In the Horizon Jeter has finished better than 4th twice in six years. His predecessor finished better than 4th five out of five years.

Jeter's predecessor was also Bruce Pearl, who isn't exactly known for running a program on the up-and-up

That. Similar age when hired as well.

I know that whenever I have a 62 year old head coach halfway through the first year of his five year contract my first thought is always to extend it by three years :wtf:

Seriously.....were they afraid he was talking to other teams behind their back midway through his first year?

Back