• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Middle East: Saudis Murder & Dismember Washington Post Contributor

It is just a matter of where you draw the line on blame. One could make the argument that the Iranians shot down that plan because George W. Bush invaded Iraq, toppled Saddam, created a massive power vacuum, which led to the on going tit for tat spats with Iran over who controls Iraq...or really it could all be Jimmy Carter's fault for inviting the Shah to live out his last days in the US, which ignited the ire of the Iranian revolutionaries which led to 40 years of fighting and now a plane bound for Ukraine was just the latest in a long string of secondary casualties.

This is not all like that as the events were happening in real time. There was no delay. There certainly wasn't a delay of years or decades.

At the heart of this is Iran's shooting of ballistic missiles this week were a direct and current response to current actions. The mistake occurred because of what was happening at this time and caused by what happened over the past week not the past decades.

Last edited:
You can't admit that the ordinance used at the embassy and for retaliation were dramatically different.

You can't admit that the embassy was locally attacked and the bases were attacked from Iran. This is not in dispute other than from you.

The problem here is you not me.

As to your last comment, what a lazy crock of shit that is

You should be put back in a spider hole.

The Iraqi prime minister asked Pompeo to send a delegation to discuss troop withdrawal. Pompeo refused and said we'll talk about "force posture".
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/10/world/middleeast/us-troops.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage
Now we shouldn't get ahead of things here, there's already been too much alarmism over WWIII and so forth. The Iraqi parliament vote was nonbinding and almost half the delegates (representing the part of the population that is anti-Iran) did not attend. However, at some point we could very easily find ourselves in a situation where our troops are stationed in a country in which the official government position is that our troops should leave. I don't know that this would be unprecedented, exactly, but it certainly is now how the US has typically behaved since WWII. Public sentiment can change very quickly, especially in the ME, and our forces there could go from being allies to occupiers if we're not careful. And the people in charge of our government right now are not careful.

The Iraqi prime minister asked Pompeo to send a delegation to discuss troop withdrawal. Pompeo refused and said we'll talk about "force posture".
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/10/world/middleeast/us-troops.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage
Now we shouldn't get ahead of things here, there's already been too much alarmism over WWIII and so forth. The Iraqi parliament vote was nonbinding and almost half the delegates (representing the part of the population that is anti-Iran) did not attend. However, at some point we could very easily find ourselves in a situation where our troops are stationed in a country in which the official government position is that our troops should leave. I don't know that this would be unprecedented, exactly, but it certainly is now how the US has typically behaved since WWII. Public sentiment can change very quickly, especially in the ME, and our forces there could go from being allies to occupiers if we're not careful. And the people in charge of our government right now are not careful.

Well we did send a signed letter to them saying we would withdraw - seems like that's what we should do.

Since our abandonment of the Kurds, I'm not sure why Iraqi officials should trust us to not completely screw them over.

Well done, Senate Dems.

Nice work.

So Iran is taking responsibility for shooting down a passenger plane and American citizens are blaming Trump.

Back