• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Midterm election predictions

Who will win Congress?

• Dems retain House & Senate

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Dems win House / Pubs win Senate

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Pubs win House / Dems win Senate

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Pubs win House & Senate

Votes: 29 52.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's not a great look to elevate that type of rhetoric when you are campaigning against it as a life-or-death issue IMO, and it helps create more political will on the right to do these things. Not a fan, though it seems to have helped in this cycle.

“Elevate” seems like a strong word. From what I’ve heard, Dems ran primary ads like “Vote for this Dem to defeat this shitbag radical Pub” which signal boosted the shitbag radical Pub over the shitbag less radical seeming Pub. That “strategy” doesn’t work without legions of Republicans who want shitty Republicans.

I mean it was smart strategy when HRC did it with Trump there was just an underestimation of the amount of discord in the Democratic electorate base.

If by “discord” you mean mainstream media and Comey pushing “her emails” which depressed Dem votes in swing states, I agree.

If by “discord” you mean mainstream media and Comey pushing “her emails” which depressed Dem votes in swing states, I agree.
It's amazing how the Republicans can turn "there might be bad things in her emails" into a win and then Trump steals thousands of pages of the most top secret documents and the reaction is "meh."

People were tired of Clintons ruining the party.

For the general, her biggest crime was having 2 X chromosomes.
that's not what i'm asking

i'm asking chrisL what hilary did to bring about the trump nomination in the same way democrats supported GOP candidates they thought were easier to beat, e.g. pritzker spending $30M on the GOP primary in Illinois

I mean it was smart strategy when HRC did it with Trump there was just an underestimation of the amount of discord in the Democratic electorate base.
She underestimated the appeal of a racist, sexist, reality TV star. People voted for Trump because they liked the things he said and did, and wanted to make racism acceptable again, and we are still paying for that.

I've heard that the HRC camp propped up Trump in the primary, don't know specifics. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess, but I would think Jeb would be the guy to prop up if you want the best chance of victory. Establishment vs establishment is a wash, and Bush shittiness was fresher in peoples minds (and worse) than Clinton shittiness.

I've heard that the HRC camp propped up Trump in the primary, don't know specifics.
I had not heard this and I guess I'm curious about the specifics, if anyone here seems to have them -- google turns up nothing for me

most of what I've heard is what is reflected here: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/11/hillary-clinton-2016-donald-trump-214428/

the they hoped for trump once he began to look like a possible candidate, but nothing was done to intervene in the GOP nomination

MAGA morons and other Pubs voted for Trump because "He tells it like it is", not realizing they were just finally able to understand the vocabulary of a politician who was both dumb and unpolished. They were tired of politicians who were smooth and articulate (like Obama) and equated that with "lying politicians", while Trump's inarticulate and 3rd grade vocabulary came across to them as at least something they can understand and therefore must be "telling it like it is" even though every word he has uttered since he was a toddler was a lie.

he ran a business, it's the exact same as running a country ! he's had to make a budget !

I see what you're saying, guitar, but Obama would have won the last two elections in a landslide and Trump got crushed in the popular vote both times.

I'm just saying who voted for him and why. I am surrounded by rednecks all day -and when I look in the mirror as well - and that's all I have heard for 6 years when they talk about Trump. "He tells it like it is! He don't use all them fancy words trying to bullshit us! He's one of us!" Like word for word every day I have heard that nonsense.

Now, how someone could actually think that - especially the last part - is beyond me.

What always cracks me up is that when it comes to electing a president, people in places like Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee and Alabama have no problem at all electing someone with no political or legal experience.

Now imagine UGA, USC, UT and UA all being told they hired a football coach with no previous coaching experience. They'd all have an absolute meltdown and think it was the dumbest idea in the world.

I'm not saying all candidates have to be lawyers or career politicians, but there is a reason why most have at least some sort of experience in one or the other.

That's because they've been taught for decades that government is bad and political experience is bad.

MAGA morons and other Pubs voted for Trump because "He tells it like it is", not realizing they were just finally able to understand the vocabulary of a politician who was both dumb and unpolished. They were tired of politicians who were smooth and articulate (like Obama) and equated that with "lying politicians", while Trump's inarticulate and 3rd grade vocabulary came across to them as at least something they can understand and therefore must be "telling it like it is" even though every word he has uttered since he was a toddler was a lie.

This is exactly right. And within the party, they were used to being conned by slick fancy-talk republicans who said things like "trickle down," and after almost four decades of the poverty and despair that con produced, they were ripe and ready for the simpler MAGA con

Back