• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike Brey Retiring

Mike Brey got me and a friend tickets to the 1999 NCAA Tournament in Charlotte when he coached at Delaware. My friend was friends with one of Brey's friends or something like that. Hard to believe he's been at ND for 23 years.

There is. But Brey retiring probably deserves its own thread. So Ranger can just make the change.

I would have guessed Digger Phelps as the winningest coach at ND. I would have guessed Brey had been there maybe 15 years.

Incredible how time passes.

That's how journalism works. Brey told someone he shouldn't have told before he told the team and it got out.
Yup, it's a bit of a dirty game but you gain credibility and more importantly clicks/views/subscriptions when you are the first to break the news. Sometimes reporters will negotiate in a situation like this where they're confident they're the only ones who know the news and they'll give the coach/politician/whoever a set amount of time to announce things internally before being the first to break the story. Famously happened between a Boston tv station and the FBI in the days after the Boston Bombing when somebody leaked photos of the suspects.

Watching ACC PM yesterday and they talked about Brey and how irritated he's been with his team this year.

Start at the 2:40 mark.

The best branch from the K coaching tree only lasted a season longer than K.

Brey sounds tired and frustrated. I doubt we’ll see him as a head coach again, but maybe he’d be interested in a different role in a year or two.

Or maybe he’ll just take over at Duke in 2 years when Scheyer gets booted.

Now we just need to get Larranaga, Hamilton, & Boeheim to retire.

No way all of these schools nail their hires.

Now we just need to get Larranaga, Hamilton, & Boeheim to retire.

No way all of these schools nail their hires.
This is a huge reason why firing Manning and nailing the subsequent hire was so critical. With Roy, K, Boeheim, Larranaga, and Hamilton well over retirement age -- and Brey is not as old as them, but is no spring chicken -- eventually there will have been a void at the top of the ACC that there hasn't been there for decades, especially with UNC and Duke filling their vacancies with first time head coaches. Currie nailed the hire, Forbes no doubt saw the landscape, and they've positioned us really well at the exact right time to be in that top tier of ACC programs, likely alongside Bennett/UVA for the foreseeable future.

We'll of course see how it shakes out long term, but had Wellman retired any later than he did, we'd be absolutely fucked.

The best branch from the K coaching tree only lasted a season longer than K.

Brey sounds tired and frustrated. I doubt we’ll see him as a head coach again, but maybe he’d be interested in a different role in a year or two.

Or maybe he’ll just take over at Duke in 2 years when Scheyer gets booted.

man I watched that video, read your comments, and thought, ATS is crazy, Brey is 75 years old.

But he's only 63 and could definitely get another gig somewhere. Like you, I am not sure he will want to.

Back