• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike Brey Retiring

man I watched that video, read your comments, and thought, ATS is crazy, Brey is 75 years old.

But he's only 63 and could definitely get another gig somewhere. Like you, I am not sure he will want to.

Yeah, I was thinking he seems like a guy who'd take a head coaching gig at a high school in a few years just because he loves coaching. Or maybe an NBA assistant gig. Or even one of those older guys who comes in to help out a young coach at a high profile program.

But he's probably content to just retire and focus on something else.

This is a huge reason why firing Manning and nailing the subsequent hire was so critical. With Roy, K, Boeheim, Larranaga, and Hamilton well over retirement age -- and Brey is not as old as them, but is no spring chicken -- eventually there will have been a void at the top of the ACC that there hasn't been there for decades, especially with UNC and Duke filling their vacancies with first time head coaches. Currie nailed the hire, Forbes no doubt saw the landscape, and they've positioned us really well at the exact right time to be in that top tier of ACC programs, likely alongside Bennett/UVA for the foreseeable future.

We'll of course see how it shakes out long term, but had Wellman retired any later than he did, we'd be absolutely fucked.
We should have hired someone younger and hungrier in peak physical condition. We could have dominated the ACC for DECADES, but you alumni are stupid and lazy, content to have dogs and kids and whatnot.

Watching ACC PM yesterday and they talked about Brey and how irritated he's been with his team this year.

Start at the 2:40 mark.

Haha wow, I don't remember Brey ever having such a "Fuck it, I'm just gonna say whatever the hell I want. I don't give a damn" mentality before. I guess a 1-7 ACC record and knowing you're done at the end of the year will do that to ya.

He had a great 10-year stretch from '07-'17.

One ACC Championship. 9-of-11 NCAA bids. Only 1 season below 20 wins, four season with 25 or more wins. Two E8. Guess if you had to point to a disappointment, only two of the 9 bids went past the second-round. Lots of great offensive teams.

Started to lose steam in '18. Still decent in total wins, the post season completely dried up. Three-of-six teams having more than 20 wins, though only 1/6 NCAA bids (I'm including this season).

I would imagine he may take a year or two, wouldn't be surprised if he came back for a stint somewhere else.

Last season was a good one for Brey and ND. 24-10; 15-5 in the ACC. Won two NCAAT games against two teams that are having very good seasons this year:

• Beat Rutgers 89-87
  • Dominated Bama 78-64

ND then lost to 3 seed Texas Tech in tight game, ND led with two minutes to go. Steep drop-off from a 24 win team in 2022 to fighting to stay out of the ACC basement. No patience at this level of the sport.

Last edited:
That is a bit misleading as it seemed understood that Swarbrick was pushing him out and they came to the mutual decision to "retire". I am not sure what P5 job he could land with no time off after the disaster of a season he is having now.

That is a bit misleading as it seemed understood that Swarbrick was pushing him out and they came to the mutual decision to "retire". I am not sure what P5 job he could land with no time off after the disaster of a season he is having now.
Georgetown should, can, and hopefully will give him whatever amount of money he would like to take over after this season. He's probably too smart to do that unless the AD purges the program of the Thompson mafia, though.

Georgetown should, can, and hopefully will give him whatever amount of money he would like to take over after this season. He's probably too smart to do that unless the AD purges the program of the Thompson mafia, though.
I like Brey, but I respectfully disagree. Brey would be a massive upgrade over Ewing, but G'town is a major rebuild. Brey is 63, and seems older. Realize that ND had decent year last year, but he has slipped as a coach. ND shouldn't be this bad. ND hasn't played solid defense in years. ND plays soft and has for awhile.

Rather than the worst team in the Big East, under Brey, G'town might be 8th out of 11. Would try to hit a homerun with someone like Shaka or Jerome Tang. If that doesn't work, would go after Mike Rhodes (VCU), Pat Kelsey, Ron Hunter, Ryan Odom, Dusty May, Anthony Grant or James Jones.

I like Brey, but I respectfully disagree. Brey would be a massive upgrade over Ewing, but G'town is a major rebuild. Brey is 63, and seems older. Realize that ND had decent year last year, but he has slipped as a coach. ND shouldn't be this bad. ND hasn't played solid defense in years. ND plays soft and has for awhile.

Rather than the worst team in the Big East, under Brey, G'town might be 8th out of 11. Would try to hit a homerun with someone like Shaka or Jerome Tang. If that doesn't work, would go after Mike Rhodes (VCU), Pat Kelsey, Ron Hunter, Ryan Odom, Dusty May, Anthony Grant or James Jones.
It seems like there actually might actually be something to the rumors of Pitino to Georgetown, which would be crazy. If it's not Pitino or Cooley, I agree with your list. I don't think Shaka would leave Marquette, because when you have that program rolling it's one of the biggest in the country. I never understood Buzz leaving there for VT unless it was mutual.

Would love Cooley. He gets it done.

Pitino would create buzz, but his run at Iona hasn't been that great. The MAAC is a low-major conference, and because he is Rick Pitino, Iona recruits on a much higher level (both out of HS and through the portal) and it's not like Iona is dominating the MAAC. They are among the best in a crappy conference, but Iona lost in their first MAAC tourney game last year, and are tied with Rider this year. It's not like he's had brought Iona to another level like Pat Kelsey has at Charleston or Dusty May at FAU. If college hoop is really just entertainment and not about building a program, Pitino back in the Big East would be fun.

• Mike Brey – Notre Dame head coach
    • The Maryland-native and former DeMatha player and assistant has been a D-I head coach for 28 years, but the soon-to-be 64-year old Brey still has time ahead of him and could really flourish back home in the DMV. His tenure at Notre Dame has stagnated, with just one NCAA Tournament bid in the last five years, but he took the Irish to back-to-back Elite Eights pretty recently and has 16 20+ win seasons. But a change of scenery might benefit all parties.

Haha wow, I don't remember Brey ever having such a "Fuck it, I'm just gonna say whatever the hell I want. I don't give a damn" mentality before. I guess a 1-7 ACC record and knowing you're done at the end of the year will do that to ya.
dude looks like he is totally frustrated and just saying what is on his mind which is refreshing but man he does not seem to be dealing with things well at all. Perhaps pushed out? Seems like a great down to earth guy unlike his douche bag mentor K.

dude looks like he is totally frustrated and just saying what is on his mind which is refreshing but man he does not seem to be dealing with things well at all. Perhaps pushed out? Seems like a great down to earth guy unlike his douche bag mentor K.
I attended the Providence St. John's game at the Garden this weekend and K was there. They showed him on the big screen and the entire arena booed lol. The one thing PC and Johnnies fans agreed on all day.

I wonder if Boeheim, Larranaga and Hamilton will get this Brey memo.

Back