• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike Petersen leaving Wake for North Texas

That's bad.

How are we losing a good coach to North Texas?

??? weird.

He's leaving a program he's basically built to go to a school that had a record of 15-16 last season and six straight losing seasons AND has had four head coaches in six seasons.

That seems like a downgrade.

It makes no sense. If he was interested then I'd think at the very least he could find a better job than North Texas.

where is his family located? that's the only thing that seems like it could play into this decision and actually make sense.

I don't know about his family, but he went to college and spent the first part of his career in the Northwest. He coached at TCU for 3 years though.

ETA: played high school ball in California

Are you kidding me? I can't even process this. A .500 coach for a well under .500 program in one of the top conferences is headed to a under .500 program in the Sun Belt?

But if the previous coach got the Texas job after only going 15-16 for one season, maybe that's a good explanation.

Maybe he got tired of all the "Wake basketball sucks!" talk, even though it was only about the boys.

Or, no state income tax.

Maybe he thinks we're leaving the ACC imminently?

My best friend from Wake is of the belief that Wellman and Hatch are going to accept a big buyout from the ACC to make us go away. Pure speculation on his part, but I'd hope it'd never come to that.

How much longer was his contract at Wake? If it was up in the next year or two and he didn't think it would be renewed, perhaps he jumped for more job security.

Wait...what? This is terrible. This is really weird timing, he's a huge advocate of Wake Forest. There has to be more to this than meets the eye.

Last edited:
Maybe he thinks we're leaving the ACC imminently?

My best friend from Wake is of the belief that Wellman and Hatch are going to accept a big buyout from the ACC to make us go away. Pure speculation on his part, but I'd hope it'd never come to that.

Is your best friend an idiot or a woman?

How much longer was his contract at Wake? If it was up in the next year or two and he didn't think it would be renewed, perhaps he jumped for more job security.

Maybe he felt Wellman was going to be gone with Bz next year and the new AD was going to clean house and make his/her own hire. I don't follow women's hoops as much as most of you. Still it seems like even with the most wins all time, he didn't do well enough here that a new AD wouldn't think they could do better with somebody else.

Does anyone know who the least successful womens basketball coach is? My guess is Wellman has already placed a call.

I doubt he'll be able to hire Charlene Curtis again.

probably good move, he has done about all he can with our program and I would imagine that he had been informed that the program needed to continue to improve next year or he was in jepardy. This way he gets a fresh 5 years.

Back