• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike Petersen leaving Wake for North Texas

If you're in Chrome ctrl-shft-n will open up private browsing which will help you get around that without deleting cookies. ctrl-shft-p in Firefox and IE I believe. Or you can just use a browser you don't normally use.

Also helps for looking at pron without leaving a trace.

Agree 100%. He is a great coach and an even better person. It was a joy getting to know him the past four years and he was by far the best coach I interviewed during my time here. I wish him nothing but the best and hope we didn't run him off because that would be a damn shame. He was a great example and role model of what a Wake coach should be and essentially the opposite of Jeff [Redacted].

North Texas got themselves a good one.

Got out before the posse came calling. It is not like we had a stellar record in women's basketball under Petersen. He had a terrible ACC record and never made the NCAA tourney in 8 years.

Got out before the posse came calling. It is not like we had a stellar record in women's basketball under Petersen. He had a terrible ACC record and never made the NCAA tourney in 8 years.

You obviously know nothing of Wake Womens Basketball

He also just graduated the best senior class in school history. No class had ever won more games...EVER. That shows both that he was continuing to improve the program each year and how bad the women's program has been in the past. He was obviously the best coach we've had in a long time, if not ever. Hopefully, he just wanted to go back to Texas and work under someone who was apparently a good friend. If he was feeling pressured, it would just show another instance of poor management by the Athletic Dept.

You obviously know nothing of Wake Womens Basketball

Actually, it probably means that Reff knows a lot of Wake Womens Basketball, and even more about the mind-set of Wake fans and the Wake administration. Looks to me that both Reff and Peterson know that getting better may not be enough, especially in the current climate.

That's what I don't get about the Petersen haters. If we could do so much better than him then why did he just have the winningest class in school history?

That's what I don't get about the Petersen haters. If we could do so much better than him then why did he just have the winningest class in school history?

They wouldn't know. They have never been to a game.

Clearly because Pat Summitt wasn't available before now

We were also bringing in one of the best recruiting classes ever to go with a solid nucleus of talent. With Petersen and the new recruits, this team was going to seriously contend for the NCAA's. It would probably be the best team in Wake women's history this year.

Because our women's hoops program has historically been terrible. Still doesn't mean that we couldn't do better.

And everybody who doesn't fawn all over him is a hater.

We were also bringing in one of the best recruiting classes ever to go with a solid nucleus of talent. With Petersen and the new recruits, this team was going to seriously contend for the NCAA's. It would probably be the best team in Wake women's history this year.

Ray will be a big loss, but I would tend to agree.

But I also thought that we would take that step after we went 8-8 in 09-10.

Last edited:
Because our women's hoops program has historically been terrible. Still doesn't mean that we couldn't do better.

And everybody who doesn't fawn all over him is a hater.

The question is, is Wake committed to doing better? Is there any concerted effort to improve the program, or are we satisfied with the way things are? If there is a significant push coming (perhaps to make up for the men's team?), then I could understand wanting better coaching. If the administration isn't planning on making women's basketball a priority, though, Petersen was probably the perfect coach to have at Wake, as he was a great fit with slow but steady improvement. All this is likely moot anyway, since Wake didn't fire him and we are just speculating at the chance that there was some pressure to move.

The question is, is Wake committed to doing better? Is there any concerted effort to improve the program, or are we satisfied with the way things are? If there is a significant push coming (perhaps to make up for the men's team?), then I could understand wanting better coaching. If the administration isn't planning on making women's basketball a priority, though, Petersen was probably the perfect coach to have at Wake, as he was a great fit with slow but steady improvement. All this is likely moot anyway, since Wake didn't fire him and we are just speculating at the chance that there was some pressure to move.

Given our commitment to men's basketball, I would highly doubt that administration was unhappy with Petersen's performance.

Back