• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike Petersen leaving Wake for North Texas

I'll miss Mike Peterson and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the username cp3ni**a is completely unaccpetable and this has not been addressed adequately. I'm a black man and I don't use that word because of the connotations it carries. My kids will never use the word and I certainly don't want to see it in a public forum. Yes, CP3 is entitled to his opinions, but I think using racist usernames should be outside the bounds of any discussion on these boards. It makes everyone on here look ignorant and it does not speak well of the Wake Forest community in general. Some may disagree with me or think I'm being overly sensitive, but I don't care.

Please note that no hint of sarcasm should be implied from this post. That username is ridiculous!!!!

Well said.

Let's raid the UF staff. While I would love to get Amanda Butler, former UNCC coach and UF alumna, it will not happen. However, Brenda Mock Kirkpatrick is a Wake alum and the other assistants coached at Davidson.

The key is who we hire. I know Petersen has some big supporters here, but he honestly never set the world on fire. 8 years and no NCAA tournament. It isn't like he was untouchable.

You're right. It's not about the fire, it's about the hire. Not saying he was fired.

from tob:

Next year is the last year of Mike's contract. My understanding that he wanted an extension and Ron wanted to wait until next season to make a decision. Also, he worked with the AD at North Texas when they both were at TCU.

Sounds like the Dave Odom situation.

In some ways it does. I think the difference is that Mike Petersen inherited a program that was historically awful. One NCAAT appearance in ~30 years. And, well, it's women's basketball so even if we had a really great team it would be a money loser.

To me having a bad coach in a non-rev is much more of a negative than having a good coach is a positive. Now even those that might disagree with my assertion that Mike Peterson is a good wbb coach would not say he's a bad one. Unless he was just asking for a lot more money (and remember that even a 25% raise probably would not amount to more than $50k/year) it was a high risk move to let him leave.

Per the norm, the key of course is who we hire.

sounds like Wellman had to make a long-term commitment to him in order to keep him. I can understand if he didn't want to do that. I will withhold judgment until I see who we hire.

32-82 in conference play? I had no idea it was that bad.

Mike Petersen at Wake is like Bill Carmody at NW.

sounds like Wellman had to make a long-term commitment to him in order to keep him. I can understand if he didn't want to do that. I will withhold judgment until I see who we hire.

Saw Geno Auriemma in the front seat of a Toyota on campus today.

Disappointed to see him go. Agree that Peterson got WFU; he brought a lot of energy to the games.

I want to see all Wake sports successful, so hopefully we get someone who will at least continue where Peterson left off and take us further. Whoever comes in will have a better program to work with than the one Peterson inherited.

Disappointed to see him go. Agree that Peterson got WFU; he brought a lot of energy to the games.

I want to see all Wake sports successful, so hopefully we get someone who will at least continue where Peterson left off and take us further. Whoever comes in will have a better program to work with than the one Peterson inherited.

Very true. And agree that he was a good guy. Will miss him.

Very strange indeed. I spoke to Coach Petersen last week and we talked about the assistant coaching hiring, as well as the future next year. I wonder what went down over the past 5 days.

Hard to say. He had to be in good shape for staying at wake as he did actually improve as the season went along. I am sure his players put their socks on correctly.

Excuse me.

You have hardly ever said anything even slightly negative about something Wellman has done.

Doofi gets flack for being an AD shill, but you're the real deal.

You have hardly ever said anything even slightly negative about something Wellman has done.

Doofi gets flack for being an AD shill, but you're the real deal.

When have I ever criticized any Wake Forest employee? Try never.

My guess is Coach Pete is looking for his last coaching job...He is safe for at least 5 years at North Texas, so then he can head to the beach with his wife. His kids are out of of the house, and North Texas is less than a half hour from Dallas ( I didn't know that) so its not like he is stuck in the sticks. He wasn't getting 5 more years here without making it to the NCAA's.

I hate to see him go. He was great for WFU...actually brought some excitement to WBB.

Back