• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike Petersen leaving Wake for North Texas

I bet north Texas women's hoops fans are bit hung about how they're hiring coaches who have had losing records and no postseason wins. You know. If there were UNT women's hoops fans.

from tob:

Next year is the last year of Mike's contract. My understanding that he wanted an extension and Ron wanted to wait until next season to make a decision. Also, he worked with the AD at North Texas when they both were at TCU.

Sounds like the Dave Odom situation.

"HERE HERE!!!!" (other uncomfortable white people)

It's a pretty messed up user name.

I'll miss Mike Peterson and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the username cp3ni**a is completely unaccpetable and this has not been addressed adequately. I'm a black man and I don't use that word because of the connotations it carries. My kids will never use the word and I certainly don't want to see it in a public forum. Yes, CP3 is entitled to his opinions, but I think using racist usernames should be outside the bounds of any discussion on these boards. It makes everyone on here look ignorant and it does not speak well of the Wake Forest community in general. Some may disagree with me or think I'm being overly sensitive, but I don't care.

Please note that no hint of sarcasm should be implied from this post. That username is ridiculous!!!!

Last edited:
I know why but I don't think I should say it.

Hard classes?
Not many non-athlete black people to hang with?
Lackluster social scene if not Greek?
At State the girls are half as smart and thus twice as likely to fellate them?

Hard classes?
Not many non-athlete black people to hang with?
Lackluster social scene if not Greek?
At State the girls are half as smart and thus twice as likely to fellate them?

We have users on our message boards that call themselves "whatever n***ga" and potential black athletes think that everyone at Wake is racist.

Darcie Vincent sounds like she would be a great hire.

I know why but I don't think I should say it.

Well for one thing, we can refer to a direct quote from JT when Marquis was being recruited by WFU ... "Dont go here, they expect you to go to class."

This is really upsetting

You have to think either the assistants jumped because they knew, or the assistants played some role in him leaving

We have a great recruiting class coming in, a pretty solid group still in school.

It makes almost no sense

Nope. If she had known he was leaving, I dont think she would have made her move.

I'll miss Mike Peterson and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the username cp3ni**a is completely unaccpetable and this has not been addressed adequately. I'm a black man and I don't use that word because of the connotations it carries. My kids will never use the word and I certainly don't want to see it in a public forum. Yes, CP3 is entitled to his opinions, but I think using racist usernames should be outside the bounds of any discussion on these boards. It makes everyone on here look ignorant and it does not speak well of the Wake Forest community in general. Some may disagree with me or think I'm being overly sensitive, but I don't care.

Please note that no hint of sarcasm should be implied from this post. That username is ridiculous!!!!

+1 Sometimes stupidity trumps free speech. Just ban this fool now and spare us all another "Rulz" episode.

I don't get it but it's a bigger school and maybe they want to build a women's program and they got the checkbook out. It's also close to Dallas/Fort Worth. Sounds like a nice place to live. Whatever.

from tob:

Next year is the last year of Mike's contract. My understanding that he wanted an extension and Ron wanted to wait until next season to make a decision. Also, he worked with the AD at North Texas when they both were at TCU.

Sounds like the Dave Odom situation.

Sounds exactly like Dave Odom. Wellman is on a real roll...

The key is who we hire. I know Petersen has some big supporters here, but he honestly never set the world on fire. 8 years and no NCAA tournament. It isn't like he was untouchable.

Random thoughts:

Agree with you DeaconForever.
Obviously the move makes sense to Peterson and that is what counts.
Most likely he wants to live in Texas or he believes working conditions improve with the move or both.
The reasoning for a major career move is not usually complicated.
It's women's basketball. When we lose a football coach who took us to the Orange Bowl to North Texas, then I will start worrying....

Back