• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Military Bowl Attendance

82deacman

Reaction score
Anyone know the Wake attendance for the game yesterday? Looked like we had a great crowd and were at least equal to Temple.

I think they had more but we were within a thousand I would guess. Just based on upper deck seating and assuming they were Temple folks. If they were the little league teams then I think it was very close.

We had an amazing amount of fans make the trek from all over. I am very surprised a low tier bowl game on the afternoon of Dec 27 7-8 hours from home would attract such a crowd of Wake folks. It was pretty cool.

We had an amazing amount of fans make the trek from all over. I am very surprised a low tier bowl game on the afternoon of Dec 27 7-8 hours from home would attract such a crowd of Wake folks. It was pretty cool.

It was our eleventh bowl ever. Probably less than 10 occurred during the lifetime of a clear majority of fans.

Thank God for great weather. I'm sure there were some on both sides who might have punked out if we had cold, blustery rain.

Very impressive turnout and looked great! Think Wake "travels" about as well as most schools per capita. Just so much of a smaller alumni base. I will be at App, BC and Clemson next year, for instance. Hope to meet a few of you there.

It was our eleventh bowl ever. Probably less than 10 occurred during the lifetime of a clear majority of fans.

The majority of Wake's bowl games have taken place in the last 20 years- Aloha, Seattle, Orange, Meineke, Eagle Bank, Music City, Military

Thank God for great weather.

No kidding. It was better than most of the tailgates/games in Winston this season.

I sat in the north endzone and could compare both sides, and I think Temple may have brought a few more fans. Regardless, it was an awesome atmosphere and a great game for our Deacs.

65% Tepmle, 30% Wake, 5% wandered in off the streets.

This is according to the paper in Baltimore.

65% Tepmle, 30% Wake, 5% wandered in off the streets.

This is according to the paper in Baltimore.

I'd say Temple 50%, Wake 30%, locals who came in and rooted for Wake 20% is more accurate. There were a lot of free tickets given out through the military. These were located on the Home/Wake side. Most of these fans cheered for Wake due to a number of reasons:

- Underdog
- More respect for Wake as an academic institution
- No love for Temple having just beaten Navy in Annapolis a few weeks prior

Wake also did a great job with the Gold pom-pom's. These were free and who doesn't love free stuff. Lots of neutral fans were happily waving these and cheering on the Deacs. Great job by sports marketing.

Overall a fantastic environment, and as a Wake alum and Annapolis local I was thrilled that the locals were so pro-Wake.

I'd say Temple 50%, Wake 30%, locals who came in and rooted for Wake 20% is more accurate. There were a lot of free tickets given out through the military. These were located on the Home/Wake side. Most of these fans cheered for Wake due to a number of reasons:

- Underdog

Wake also did a great job with the Gold pom-pom's. These were free and who doesn't love free stuff. Lots of neutral fans were happily waving these and cheering on the Deacs. Great job by sports marketing.

Overall a fantastic environment, and as a Wake alum and Annapolis local I was thrilled that the locals were so pro-Wake.

Agree with this. Looked great in the stadium and, I'm guessing, on TV, too.

I don't agree at all with the 50%/30% estimate. Looked to me (in the stadium) and to my in-laws (on TV) that it was at worst evenly split. Anyway, who cares. Temple sucks. Go Deacs.

- Underdog

This. I love that we pass them out. It really unites our "side." Also, we don't necessarily have the most football-smart fanbase and the shakers give people something to do to support the team when they might not know what to do otherwise.

Was told by a Wake ticket rep before the game that we sold 4500-5000 through the school. I was upstairs, but I would estimate we had at least 9-10K from what I could tell + pictures of the game.

Really impressive showing by Wake fans. A huge shoutout to our AD for getting us into this game. Almost everything about the game was a huge win: fan support, Wake's play on the field, the weather, the location (we recruit that area hard). This was a big win for the program.

I think it's unrealistic to think Wake had higher attendance at a bowl game 2 hours from Temple. 30% is strong.

Back