• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mississippi Teen pleads not guilty in hate crime

I say just throw this pos into general population for a day. I have a feeling justice will take care of itself.

I hope the little bastard rots in prison for the rest of his life. I'd be all for the Death Penalty in this case, but I also respect the wishes of the family that none involved receive the Death Penalty.

One odd thing that jumps out to me is the victim being described as a "pillar of the community" yet he was out alone at 4AM?

kid is a dirtbag, but honestly, this paragraph is a bit over the top...

"Dedmon showed no emotion, expressed no remorse, and made no further statements at the hearing before Hinds County Circuit Judge Jeff Weill Friday morning."

Uh, well yeah, he wants to avoid the death penalty. I think that showing remorse or emotion would be an admission of guilt, yes?

I hope the little bastard rots in prison for the rest of his life. I'd be all for the Death Penalty in this case, but I also respect the wishes of the family that none involved receive the Death Penalty.

One odd thing that jumps out to me is the victim being described as a "pillar of the community" yet he was out alone at 4AM?

Was he staying at the hotel?

One odd thing that jumps out to me is the victim being described as a "pillar of the community" yet he was out alone at 4AM?[/QUOTE]

What a dumb statement without having any information. Could he have been helping a friend?

Could he have be out at an even andf helped tear it down?

Could he have been doing many other things that are totally innocent.

Yep let's blame the victim.

Typical RJ overreaction.

It's not blaming the victim. I found it a genuinely odd contradiction. I might have glossed over something in the article indicating what he was doing out so late.

No overreaction, it's absurd and obscene to even bring it up.

WTF is wrong with people??

I really cannot understand wanting to hurt, much less kill, someone simply because of the color of their skin.

Since he pleaded not guilty, I think it's only right to reserve comment.

Everyone was in an all fired hurry to hang Casey Anthony too. One problem...the judicial system didn't agree.

Everyone was in an all fired hurry to hang Casey Anthony too. One problem...the judicial system didn't agree.

This case is much different. There is video evidence of the entire event:

There's no reason to doubt that he was the perpetrator.

I'll let a court decide that.

Never understood what the hurry is.

I guess people just want to have an opinion and something to say.

His argument is that he didn't see him and ran over him, didn't notice it, and kept going because of this. He was caught by police because he was heard bragging to a friend about "just got back from killing a n*****" and was laughing about it. Obviously hearsay is inadmissible in court, but he was heard by several people at a party saying this.

It's also on camera, and there was another kid in the car who my hope is turns on this guy.

Unfortunate last name for the perpetrator.

Typical RJ overreaction.

It's not blaming the victim. I found it a genuinely odd contradiction. I might have glossed over something in the article indicating what he was doing out so late.

The article did say the man was a line worker at a Nissan plant. The Nissan plant is in Canton, MS, about 26 miles north of Jackson. It's possible that he worked a late shift, was driving home (assuming home is around Jackson) and stopped at the hotel for a restroom break (it might be more brightly lit/safer at that time of night than a gas station).

I'll let a court decide that.

Never understood what the hurry is.

I guess people just want to have an opinion and something to say.

Well I don't have any faith in our justice system. They let guilty people off the hook and execute innocent people all the time. Whether or not the court says he is guilty is 100% irrelevant, just like Casey Anthony or OJ Simpson. Except this time, there is a 100% chance that he is guilty, not even a sliver of doubt is reasonable. It is the opposite of presumptuous to say what one thinks about this kid. In fact, I'd argue that it is our civil duty to condemn his actions and character.

This kid is going to love Parchman. The midnight special is waiting for him.

His argument is that he didn't see him and ran over him, didn't notice it, and kept going because of this. He was caught by police because he was heard bragging to a friend about "just got back from killing a n*****" and was laughing about it. Obviously hearsay is inadmissible in court, but he was heard by several people at a party saying this.

It's also on camera, and there was another kid in the car who my hope is turns on this guy.

Unless the Mississippi Rules of Evidence are drastically different than the NC and Federal Rules, the statement is not inadmissible hearsay.

Last edited:
What disturbs me is the other kids in the cars not getting charged for anything:

"In addition to Dedmon and Rice, the five other teens who took part in the incident that evening, according to the suit, are: Sarah Graves, of Crystal Springs; Shelbie Richards, of Pearl; and William Kirk Montgomery, John Blaylock and Dylan Butler, all of Brandon. None of the five has been arrested or charged."

I understand that they may be cooperating to get this guy the max sentence, but in my opinion, they beat a guy for the color of his skin. Shouldn't they get more than just having to testify in a trial? They did everything this guy did except run him over in a truck. They beat the guy until he couldn't get out of the way of a truck coming at him. They deserve a real punishment as well.

Back