• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Monetary & Housing Policy Thread: Fed Adopts Evans Rule

There is an opportunity for the next President to do something smart to loosen construction rules in high-cost coastal states. Not sure exactly what kind of incentive program you'd need to get states competing, but then I'm not a Senate aide or anything.

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/20/9570175/labor-share-housing

capitalshare.png

Disagree. We should be doing everything to NOT incentivize building in flood prone coastal areas.

Question for Tuffalo or any other experts. Reading a paper about gentrification in Philadelphia. Is this a standard definition of gentrification?

A neighborhood was considered “gentrified” if average household income was below the city’s median level in 2000 and if it saw a large rise in rents, home values and the share of residents with college degrees.

Question for Tuffalo or any other experts. Reading a paper about gentrification in Philadelphia. Is this a standard definition of gentrification?

Looks about right, but I don't think a standard exists. Seems like the author is trying to set out some measurable clear criteria for categorizing data that'll be used later in the analysis.

Looks about right, but I don't think a standard exists. Seems like the author is trying to set out some measurable clear criteria for categorizing data that'll be used later in the analysis.
This. What's the paper title, Townie?

We also have a really big debt problem, and it continues to befuddle me how some people will put on the blinders to deny this. Yeah, jobs are a serious issue, but overreacting with a gigantic stimulus program will do little to help. The amount of federal spending that would be required to keep the unemployed employed until requisite deleveraging has occurred would create yet another debt bubble, only this time it would be sovereign debt. As much as it pains me to say it, this is a much more serious problem than skill deterioration in the unemployed. Look at where we are today. Debt/GDP exceeds 100%. Our debt maturity structure is weighted heavily towards bills and notes, which is extremely dangerous. I want to see these people employed. I'm not evil. But you have to look at the cost benefit analysis. The potential growth from a gigantic stimulus package would be transient, but the debt would remain. We'd be looking at a debt/GDP ratio of around 135%. What's worse is that the vast majority of this debt is due to mature sometime within the next 2-10 years, precisely when the Federal Reserve will be hiking interest rates. There is no way the bond market will let us rollover all that debt at current rates, and then we'll face serious issues. And there will be absolutely no way to grow out of our debt load.

Oh, and the problem with this is that because Krugman's amazing powers of influence are so great, his book title will have extraordinarily deleterious effects on consumer confidence.

BUMP for Treasury continuing to roll over debt at record low yields

I wouldn't declare victory so soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back