• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Monetary & Housing Policy Thread: Fed Adopts Evans Rule

Your Keynesian lean there is going to provoke an angry and dumb comment from TR, you know. He is championing fiscal reform as the path to growth.

How nice. Is this what you've been doing since I've been gone? I'd have thought you would be out saving the world from responsible fiscal policy one misleading chart at a time, not making snarky posts about me.

Last edited:
How nice. Is this what you've been doing since I've been gone? I'd have thought you would be out saving the world from responsible fiscal policy one misleading chart at a time, not making snarky posts about me.

Charts are passe. The new hotness is using published studies to inform opinions on gun control. Use FRED, then lose him. That's the rule of the day.

But just for old time's sake here's the most important thing in the US economy

fredgraph.png

I need to maintain my arrogant lefty cred and snark is our currency.

Most important thing in the U.S. economy? Man, and here I thought the macroeconomy wasn't a morality play.

Of course I do. But it'll be the cause soon enough if things keep going the way they are.

I'd prefer it if we could End Krugman Plugs Now. Oh, and we're not in a depression, by the way. Krugman may say so to sell books, but that doesn't make it true. End This Sustained Period of Mediocre Growth just doesn't have the same ring, does it?

I'd prefer it if we could End Krugman Plugs Now. Oh, and we're not in a depression, by the way. Krugman may say so to sell books, but that doesn't make it true. End This Sustained Period of Mediocre Growth just doesn't have the same ring, does it?

The alternative title would be Fill In This Output Gap Now, not your suggestion.

And I find it not surprising that a big Cantor fan would prefer Krugman's royalties to go down than to put Americans back to work.

The alternative title would be Fill In This Output Gap Now, not your suggestion.

And I find it not surprising that a big Cantor fan would prefer Krugman's royalties to go down than to put Americans back to work.

Lol, I knew Krugman had God-like powers, but I didn't know he was able to singlehandedly affect global economic growth by choosing the title of his book.

Period from 1933 to 1937 was a period of faster growth than now but I assume you would still count it as part of the Great Depression. Don't be asinine.

Period from 1933 to 1937 was a period of faster growth than now but I assume you would still count it as part of the Great Depression. Don't be asinine.

The "Great Depression" is a colloquial term. Economically speaking, no, from '33-'37 the United States was not in a depression. Or even a recession. I'm not being asinine. I'm being correct.

And your problem with the Little Depression as a colloquial term is? Shouldn't that be a far better name for the current period than the Great Recession?

And your problem with the Little Depression as a colloquial term is? Shouldn't that be a far better name for the current period than the Great Recession?

I don't think there is a need for a colloquial term, but if we have to have one, either of those would suffice I suppose. Not that they are particularly accurate. But Krugman didn't use either of those terms, did he?

Krugman actually uses "Lesser Depression", which I don't think has the same ring as Little Depression (that's not your point, though, is it?).

Obviously we can both be thankful that the period is not known as Lehmangate or HousingBubblegate.

Back