• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Montreal

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
I looked back at old Montreal threads and the newest one was 2015 so decided to start a new one. Thinking about heading up in October as part of a bigger Vermont trip.

At this point I am most worried about getting a good airbnb and in a good part of the city as it will Fall and I am sure a lot of tourists want to be there then.

What are some of the better neighborhoods to stay in? Also is a car necessary or is public transit ok to get around?

Plateau-Mont-Royal (specifically Mile End) or Downtown are the neighborhoods I recommend. You should be fine with just public transit if you stay in those areas or anywhere in the city center really.

I've used a car on my trips and had no trouble getting around but study the map before you go because downtown gets congested and has lots of narrow, one-way streets plus areas that are pedestrian only. Parking in the touristy areas is tough so while I didn't use public transport and can't comment on it, it's probably best if you're planning to see the sights. Great city, you really can't go wrong anywhere. Love it there. Have fun.

Plateau-Mont-Royal (specifically Mile End) or Downtown are the neighborhoods I recommend. You should be fine with just public transit if you stay in those areas or anywhere in the city center really.

Yeah, taking a 3-hour flight so you can ride around on a bus or subway is awesome.

An option, if it's cheaper to stay in the outskirts is to drive to the Longueuil station (plenty of parking) and metro into town. The train system will get you most places you want to go.

parody poster at this point

In general, if I can't go to a city and stay in a hotel close to the shit I want to do without riding around on a bus, I would rather skip it and go to the beach for the weekend.

You only want to do stuff in a city that's within like a one mile radius?

biff does not like to see the amazing metro stations in Paris or take the streetcar in New Orleans apparently.

You only want to do stuff in a city that's within like a one mile radius?

Love to walk cities. Also like cabs so I don't waste my limited time strap hanging while on vacation.

I used the light rail in Amsterdam the other day and it was pretty meh.

we just went before xmas:

• great city lots to do
  • climb mt royal
  • old port is fun, tho a bit touristy
  • see a Habs game or if it works out a CFL game over by mcgill
  • TBH thought the bagels were kinda meh dont tell anyone
  • we did vin mon lapin for date night it was pretty good perhaps worth the hype
  • art museum was decent
  • we ubered a lot fine; i think public transit works well too. i wouldn't get a car sounds like a PITA to manage

Here to "third" Au Pied du Cochon. I used to take an annual Fall trip to Montreal but it's been a few years now so I don't have anything to suggest that's not in an older thread. Just make sure to get a bagel from Fairmont or the other one on that block. Better than NY.

TIL Biff walks around Paris, London, and Manhattan or just REFUSES TO GO

we just went before xmas:

• see a Habs game or if it works out a CFL game over by mcgill
I happened to be in Montreal when Johnny Manziel made his debut for the Alouettes. Of course I bought tickets. He threw 4 interceptions in the first half including one on his first pass attempt. The whole crowd was booing him by the end of the half. Didn't play the second half. Jeremiah Masoli was the QB of the other team and he threw for like 400 yards.

Back