• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most Consecutive Losing Seasons By A College Basketball Coach

ACCOffice

Reaction score
I have to think Bzz has the record for most consecutive losing seasons without being fired. Cal Tech, a division III team has the record for a team, 11.

Can't find the record for most consecutive losing seasons by a coach. Anyone?

They loaded up the schedule with cupcakes to avoid this, and it is still gonna be close.

My brother in law was the head coach at Cal Tech for a number of years. He never had a winning season but did win a game, which was better than his predecessor. I'd take him over bzz. Cal Tech went 26 years without a conference win so it could be worse, right?

I have to think Bzz has the record for most consecutive losing seasons without being fired. Cal Tech, a division III team has the record for a team, 11.

Can't find the record for most consecutive losing seasons by a coach. Anyone?

Bump. In the hopes that someone will be able to answer the question posed in the OP...

Jim Crews had 7 straight losing seasons at Army before he was fired. Plus two more losing seasons directly before that at Evansville (not sure if Evansville fired him or not).

Jim Crews had 7 straight losing seasons at Army before he was fired. Plus two more losing seasons directly before that at Evansville (not sure if Evansville fired him or not).

How about from BCS schools?

Bill Foster. No winning seasons at Northwestern over a 7 year tenure. His last year at USC was also a losing one, unsure if he was fired there or not.

ETA: seems that USC did effectively fire him..though they actually weren't a BCS program at the time anyway (how the hell did USC get a successful coach out of the ACC?)

Last edited:
What about an active streak, like Ph's stat with WFU/Duke/EMU? I would think through the history of NCAAM there were some runs as bad as (if not worse than) as the [Redacted] Experiment, but an active streak would be more damning

I think I found the winner: Bill Herrion at New Hampshire. He's in the midst of submitting his ninth straight losing season at UNH and 15th consecutive overall (six prior at East Carolina). That is unbelievable. He makes Bzzz look like Phil Jackson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Herrion

Not sure [Redacted] would do any better at New Hampshire than that. That's got to be a really awful place to coach basketball.

Not sure [Redacted] would do any better at New Hampshire than that. That's got to be a really awful place to coach basketball.

Yeah, I guess both of those places are basketball purgatories.

Didn't New Hampshire make the NCAA tourney a few years ago with a goofy, mop-headed, do-it-all white guy forward who everyone proclaimed would have been great in a power conference, then they got smoked?

Thinking about Vermont?

Yep, you are right. Taylor Coppenrath was the guy I was thinking of. New Hampshire, Vermont, one and the same.

Bill Foster. No winning seasons at Northwestern over a 7 year tenure. His last year at USC was also a losing one, unsure if he was fired there or not.

ETA: seems that USC did effectively fire him..though they actually weren't a BCS program at the time anyway (how the hell did USC get a successful coach out of the ACC?)

I heard Foster was more interested in re-building programs than actually maintaining them. (i'm also sure that money played a role.)

it really speaks volumes about South Carolina basketball that their greatest coach in history achieved more success at St. John's and at Carolina, then did at South Carolina.

Back