• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most Consecutive Losing Seasons By A College Basketball Coach

I just ran the numbers myself. Dino Gaudino nailed it.

1) Bill Herrion is in his 9th season at New Hampshire, coming in with 8 consecutive losing seasons since being fired from ECU.
T-2) Jeff [Redacted], coming in with 6 consecutive losing seasons through his tenure at two schools.
T-2) Gregg Nibert, coming in with 6 consecutive losing seasons at Presbyterian since they entered D-I (i think).

Several others came into this season with 5 consecutive losing seasons

They beat Cuse a different year behind the guido PG who was draining 30 footers when Brennan was coach.

Nope, Syracuse won that game 79-56. Mike Lonergan was Vermont's coach.

Vermont beat the Cuse in '05 under Tom Brennan.
The two played again more recently when Lonergan was the coach and Cuse won.

After looking at the major hoop conferences (BCS or Big East), the only other two instances that I could find of a current basketball coach with three or more consecutive losing seasons were Tony Barbee at Auburn and Oliver Purnell at Depaul. BTW, Barbee will almost certainly be fired after this year, and Auburn spends next to nothing on their basketball program (you could argue that baseball is a bigger sport at Auburn, certainly Spring football is). DePaul has sucked for decades. Putting WF basketball at the same level as Auburn and DePaul just shows how far WF basketball has fallen.

After looking at the major hoop conferences (BCS or Big East), the only other two instances that I could find of a current basketball coach with three or more consecutive losing seasons were Tony Barbee at Auburn and Oliver Purnell at Depaul. BTW, Barbee will almost certainly be fired after this year, and Auburn spends next to nothing on their basketball program (you could argue that baseball is a bigger sport at Auburn, certainly Spring football is). DePaul has sucked for decades. Putting WF basketball at the same level as Auburn and DePaul just shows how far WF basketball has fallen.

And, of course, both of those guys had winning records when they were hired.

So, we have to look at some poor shlub from NH to find a worse coach?

Can we just go ahead and proclaim [Redacted] has the most consecutive losing seasons of any coach in history? Who cares about a coach in NH.. If they pull out that defense, then it's a win win. Because that's pitiful.

Back