• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most Frequent CL Missed Connections By State

Well, that's not completely depressing.

I know. It was kind of beautiful too - I tried to see if it was stolen from somewhere because it was so random.

This cheered me up though

You look like a 21 year old Sheldon and you gave me a good hand job at Annabelles on Sunday. Thanks for the good time.

The data is only based on the most recent 100 missed connection postings for each state at the time of data collection. Not very valid as I would assume that could vary widely depending on when you collected the data. More meaningless data made impressive by making a pretty chart.

Last edited:
That's true if they claim that the results aren't time dependent. Otherwise it's fine. Seasonal variance would be interesting in itself.

Love that PA's is convenience stores. Wawa represent (and Sheetz, I guess).

That's true if they claim that the results aren't time dependent. Otherwise it's fine. Seasonal variance would be interesting in itself.

It would be interesting to look at it, but, seasonal variance seems obvious (the football game data in SC being the most clear example of that) - and I would think time of day and day of the week would make a lot of difference as well. Wouldn't you be more likely to see bars showing up on the weekend, for instance? I assume people probably post these things soon after the missed connection occurs?

The data is only based on the most recent 100 missed connection postings for each state at the time of data collection. Not very valid as I would assume that could vary widely depending on when you collected the data. More meaningless data made impressive by making a pretty chart.

1330458206300_5403416.png

It would be interesting to look at it, but, seasonal variance seems obvious (the football game data in SC being the most clear example of that) - and I would think time of day and day of the week would make a lot of difference as well. Wouldn't you be more likely to see bars showing up on the weekend, for instance? I assume people probably post these things soon after the missed connection occurs?

Good point about day of the week. I was grossly underestimating how many there would be. For an entire state, 100 is a day or less than a day's worth.

Yeah, I'm with you here. Their sampling needs a ton of work. Also they should consider controlling for urbanicity within the state. More urban states would have more urban answers. Essentially these are just places where people go.

I really don't get 'at home' for Indiana

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...d-connections-happen-in-our-own-homes/273368/

Delivery people, canvassers, repair people, neighbors, neighbors who we know are married but we've been watching them and maybe... And there are Missed Connections from whoever just looked at the room you are subletting, and maybe it's my imagination, but was there something there?

I got a kick out of this sentence:
Since the sample sizes in Gambrell's research were small (100), it's also possible that one particularly charming delivery person in Indiana is going around raising heat, causing the state's unique result.

Kind of funny how that one result spurred a short article on The Atlantic.

Back