• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Most Unanimous Coach Firing

Dillon Fence

Reaction score
Trying to think...is manning getting the axe one of the most universally approved decisions by a fan base of all time? Obviously 100% is the theoretical max. Other than opposing school fake posters / trolls, surely this board is 99.5% in agreement, right? What other coach - pro or college - were the true fans this united? While Lane Kiffin may be the most hated man in UT history, its only because he jilted them. Was Matt Doherty this despised at UNC? Were we so united at the end of [Redacted]? (i feel like he may have had 3-5% support since it was only 4 years of wretchedness, not 6?). The only conceivably more hated coaches i can come up with are all NFL: Ray Handley, Rich Kotite, and Marc Trestman. But in college hoops, I think Wake can lay claim to the #1 least desired coach of all time. Well done, Ronnie!

I couldn’t believe we kept him for the past two years. If he’s not gone now, I am beyond done. No longer giving a penny to Wake.

Yes. Redacted was a bigger asshole and we still remembered what it was like to win.

Serious question...do you think Wake fans were more unified for that?

Absolutely!

Most wake fans checked out years ago. Retaining mannequin for a 7th year would get a “meh.” Guys, wake basketball was murdered by Ron Wellman. It’s finished.

More apathy this time around. Which is its own statement of unanimity.

Redacted at least left with a (barely) winning record his last year (hardly an endorsement 🤮)

Good points. I feel like the die-hard hatred for [Redacted] (ie billboards) was greater but there was a larger share of fans who felt a 5th year was not out of the question, and ronnie deserved some benefit of the doubt. This time it feels like the intensity of hatred is less (due to damage / apathy) but the consensus is damn near unanimous.

Some sunshiners are alive and well on the Facebook group. Headlined by 60+ year olds who think that the ACC is akin to church league basketball.

Some sunshiners are alive and well on the Facebook group. Headlined by 60+ year olds who think that the ACC is akin to church league basketball.
Their reasoning is guaranteed to be something along the lines of he recruits good men, who play hard and don't get in trouble. They actively want to avoid 1 and Done players, who would "undermine WF's academics" or something of that sort. However, I guarantee that they have no response to the fact that Manning has only managed to graduate two players in his time at Wake. Players leaving early are players leaving early, regardless of why they're leaving.

I would bet rc107 is out there somewhere still holding on to hope that one more season is all manning needs to turn this around.

I would bet rc107 is out there somewhere still holding on to hope that one more season is all manning needs to turn this around.

He had to have joined some other message board somewhere else if he's not a parody here. Because he had a lot of 'logic' in his brain he just had to get out, obsessively so. That I'm-going-to-prove-you-wrong energy has to go somewhere. He'd make a good lawyer; I know I'd want him on my side for that at least.

Their reasoning is guaranteed to be something along the lines of he recruits good men, who play hard and don't get in trouble. They actively want to avoid 1 and Done players, who would "undermine WF's academics" or something of that sort. However, I guarantee that they have no response to the fact that Manning has only managed to graduate two players in his time at Wake. Players leaving early are players leaving early, regardless of why they're leaving.

Manning recruited the only 1-and-done player in Wake history...a kid who said he only planned one year of college while we were recruiting him.

giphy.gif

Seems like Manning being retained last year destroyed most of whatever was left of the hardcore fanbase. Whereas Redacted's "resignation" came when the fanbase was still mostly paying attention.

Back