• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Moving tips and tricks?

First, pay professionals. Second, while I hope my next move is into the old folk's home, if I ever do move from my current house, we will have a massive sale and try to get as much of the large furniture sold as possible, and use the money toward buying stuff that fits and looks good in the new place. we have spent too many years with stuff from our old house that doesn't really work in our new house. #firstworldproblems

Dash wins for posting some actual tips and tricks and not including a primer on how to move. I'm going to look into the paper plates between the dinner plates technique. Kudos.

Move someplace cool.

http://www.thebolditalic.com/articles/2841-why-are-all-my-friends

After moving myself for a long time, I finally decided to start paying movers about four years ago. It's worth the money, even if you're on a budget. (I have never once had an employer pay my moving expenses.)

We're with you. Our past two moves had our employers pay for packing, loading, shipping, unloading, and unpacking, so we've been spoiled. Having packers is a double-eged sword for sure. Makes things easier in terms of energy/time wasted, but we've had some issues with stuff breaking. Insurance paid for it, but it still sucks.

One more thing - get a hotel room the first night at your new destination or else make arrangements to get some bedding in the new place before you spend the first night there. Can't tell you how many nights I've slept on a bare hardwood floor with a ball of bungee cords for a pillow.

Luckily we've got a week of overlap between new place and old place, so we'll have some time to settle in.

Hand trucks for boxes as much as possible.

Too many staircases involved, unfortunately. Bought a handtruck for another move years ago, though, and it was MONTE.

I actually disagree with this approach. It sucks, and you will just end up damaging your car, probably more than once. Just plan ahead and pay the movers to move everything at one time.

Not thinking about moving anything other than boxes of household goods and stuff like camping gear. Probably some of the more fragile stuff -- guitars, paintings -- will get shuttled, too. The heavy boxes, like for books, we'll leave for the movers. Little risk of damage to the car or to our stuff (relatively speaking). We've got some extenuating circumstances involved that make this the best option for us.

We have spent too many years with stuff from our old house that doesn't really work in our new house. #firstworldproblems

Yeah, we've got some furniture that we love that's just not going to work in our new space. Selling it off. Bummer.

If you're hiring movers make sure that you take apart any beds and/or cribs. When I move I usually take apart any furniture like that and move all of the boxes into a main room.

It saves so much time if the movers don't have to go into the back bedroom for a bunch of boxes. In a similar vein make sure that the TV and any components have been removed from entertainment centers. All of that stuff takes time that adds up at the end of a move.

If you're hiring movers make sure that you take apart any beds and/or cribs. When I move I usually take apart any furniture like that and move all of the boxes into a main room.

It saves so much time if the movers don't have to go into the back bedroom for a bunch of boxes. In a similar vein make sure that the TV and any components have been removed from entertainment centers. All of that stuff takes time that adds up at the end of a move.

Cool, good tip. Was sort of planning on doing this anyhow, but I'll make it a priority. Cav, didn't you work for a moving company once, or did I make that up?

I did. I worked there over summers and spent six months there after taking the NY Bar.

Also, if you have a lot of upholstered furniture I would buy shrink wrap for moving and pre wrap any sofas or overstuffed chairs. That can take awhile.

Also, if you have a lot of upholstered furniture I would buy shrink wrap for moving and pre wrap any sofas or overstuffed chairs. That can take awhile.

We essentially only have an upholstered couch. Really worth it to go through the effort beforehand? We're moving only about 10 miles away.

Some moving companies insist in doing it and if there are two guys there one of them is essentially just watching.

Cool, good tip. Was sort of planning on doing this anyhow, but I'll make it a priority. Cav, didn't you work for a moving company once, or did I make that up?

Probably a "duh" but Baggie and label all screws and hardware and wrap/tie off the wires/cords you disconnect. Just one less thing to think about when you unpack. I don't think I was ever without bags and a sharpie in my pocket last move.

I've hired movers the last two moves. I packed myself but the movers were well worth it.

I've hired movers the last two moves. I packed myself but the movers were well worth it.

This. Pack yourself, but hire movers. Pack and move truly valuable stuff yourself. Get everything down out of the attic and garden/storage sheds/garage ahead of time. Be ready to label the rooms where your stuff is going to speed up the moving in (sticky notes and pen). Free boxes at shoes stores and liquor stores. Wardrobe boxes are a good investment. Unpack your bedroom/bathroom first, then the kitchen, then the rest of the house. Pack a dufflebag for a change of clothes til you unpack.

I've used TROSA as movers and would use them again. They were fast, and courteous. You are not allowed to tip them, though.

But I’m not moving, I’m staying in San Francisco. I’m staying because I can walk everywhere I need to go. Because no matter how much they raise the rent, this is still a city of freaks and misfits. Because no ones gushes in adoration for their city the way San Franciscans do. I’m staying because my city loves me. And fuck, do I love her back.

Also, I’ve got pretty damn good rent control.

But I’m not moving, I’m staying in San Francisco. I’m staying because I can walk everywhere I need to go. Because no matter how much they raise the rent, this is still a city of freaks and misfits. Because no ones gushes in adoration for their city the way San Franciscans do. I’m staying because my city loves me. And fuck, do I love her back.

Cali sux

Yeah, losing our rent control is rough. Landlord is raising our rent by $600/mo. We've been here just three years.

Moving to Rockridge, though. I think we'll survive.

Are you moving locally? If so:

Pack things in small boxes when possible, that way anyone can carry them (hint hint). Big boxes = hurt backs.

Pack in advance. Who cares if you are sitting around with boxes everywhere for the last two weeks in your current house.

Don’t bother unpackinging drawers. Slide them out of a chest, stack carefully with a towel between, and new place slide them right in.

Make a party out of it. I sent out an email for help for a Friday afternoon, and had at least 15-20 friends. Buy lots of beer & Pizza.

Rent a Big U-haul truck so to make fewer trips between locations. Load the first truck, and unload at new location leaving wife (if you have one) home to direct friends what goes where, you go back to old house to finish loading up.

We moved my entire house in less than 3 hours, had furniture in place, even pictures hanging on existing hooks, all in that time. Got drunk til around 2am. Next day sucked re arranging with a hangover, but the move was a piece of cake.

****Edit to add the #1 advice : BEND AT THE KNEES!!!!!!****

Last edited:
^^^Great advice.

The U-Haul and get friends to help, huge helps. You can hire professionals for about $150-200 if its a short trip and you think it will only take 2 hours or so to move the big stuff.

Def come back and tell us how it went.

Pack things in small boxes when possible, that way anyone can carry them (hint hint). Big boxes = hurt backs.

Yep. Found the motherload of free copy paper boxes over the weekend. They're small, but strong, and have handles, so the wife can definitely handle them.

Pack in advance. Who cares if you are sitting around with boxes everywhere for the last two weeks in your current house.

Yup, already begun the process. Movers don't come until the 17th.

Don’t bother unpackinging drawers. Slide them out of a chest, stack carefully with a towel between, and new place slide them right in.

I'm intrigued by this plan. I was already planning on sliding out and shrinkwrapping some smaller drawers for transport but hadn't considered doing two whole chests of drawers and using the towel method.

Just don't put the drawers in the back of a pickup (my friend did this and lost an entire drawer of clothes, yes he's an idiot).

Back