• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Moving tips and tricks?

Yeah, losing our rent control is rough. Landlord is raising our rent by $600/mo. We've been here just three years.

Moving to Rockridge, though. I think we'll survive.

Yowza. I'm guessing that's somewhere around 25%

If you can't find free boxes, think about renting the plastic tubs. They hold a bunch more, you don't have to worry about putting them together, taping them up, or throwing them away, and they stack and move really easily.

When packing the truck (assuming you DIY), account for inevitable settling - ie. don't stack things that are going to fall down when you make your first turn, brake, etc.

So my wife and I are about to complete a move from DC to Charlottesville. Trying to work out the details of the move, and we're having a professional company take care of this for us as it is going to be paid for by my wife's new organization, but right now they want to essentially make this a three day move, which seems excessive to me. They want to pack one day (understandable), but then load the truck the next day and then not actually deliver and unload until the following day. I would imagine this is customary for most long distance moves, but we're only going 120 miles or so. Am I wrong to think packing, loading, delivering, and unloading can be done in two days? We're only moving the amount of furniture for a 2 bedroom apartment. I guess where I get uncomfortable is having all my shit loaded into a truck that then does not directly proceed to the final destination but stays somewhere overnight.

You could always drive the truck yourself, since you're only driving about two hours.

I rented the biggest U-Haul I could get (22 ft?) and hired pros to load it. Drove it myself (DC to NC), then hired 4 dudes off craigslist to help us unload it for $10 an hour. Ended up only taking like 2 hours and I gave them all $50. They were super happy and it was a buttload cheaper than hiring a moving company.

The LOADING is the most important part. Pros know how to use mattresses to brace the truck, pack all the way to the ceiling, blanket in mirrors, etc. I don't think we had one thing break because they packed it so well.

I haven't read the thread, but throw away everything you possibly can stand to throw away. If you feel bad about throwing "it" away, go to the Salvation Army. But purge. because when you are unloading and unpacking you will be so pissed at yourself for burying yourself in crap.

Yeah, losing our rent control is rough. Landlord is raising our rent by $600/mo. We've been here just three years.

Moving to Rockridge, though. I think we'll survive.

My advice would also be to drive around the block to make sure the town is real, and you are not moving into a stage prop.
600full-poster.jpg

Going on the Blazing Saddles theme, and last night holding many important local elections, you may want to learn more about the governing body of Rockridge.

“Excuse me while I whip this out"

So my wife and I are about to complete a move from DC to Charlottesville. Trying to work out the details of the move, and we're having a professional company take care of this for us as it is going to be paid for by my wife's new organization, but right now they want to essentially make this a three day move, which seems excessive to me. They want to pack one day (understandable), but then load the truck the next day and then not actually deliver and unload until the following day. I would imagine this is customary for most long distance moves, but we're only going 120 miles or so. Am I wrong to think packing, loading, delivering, and unloading can be done in two days? We're only moving the amount of furniture for a 2 bedroom apartment. I guess where I get uncomfortable is having all my shit loaded into a truck that then does not directly proceed to the final destination but stays somewhere overnight.

Because you only have a two bedroom apartment's worth of stuff, probably what the company will do is load your stuff, and load somebody else's stuff on the same truck going from DC to Charlottesville (or some in SW VA). That way they maximize their vehicle use. A separate crew will go to each of the two places on pack day, then moving truck goes to place A, loads, goes to place B and loads. Then drive to C-ville. Next day, unload one of the household's stuff, then go to the other place and unload. A tractor-trailer holds a lot more than just one apartment's worth of stuff. Could even be doing three places, if they have the business.

BDZ,

If you really want to DIY, you have lots of good tips. A few more. Some pretty obvious, some not. When you pack the truck, put the heavy stuff on the bottom. Also, try to pack in boxes that will fit tightly together. That will minimize shifting of the load when turning etc. I don't really like bins because they are wider at the top and narrower at the bottom, so will tend to ride up on top of each other. Use (rent if you need to) packing blankets to pad between stuff. Not necessarily boxes, but the odd shaped stuff (furniture). Make sure your load is secure as you can make it. Rope to tie stuff into place. Or go professional and get the locking load bars - but probably not worth it for a short move. I am wary of copy paper boxes. They are a good size. They are not as sturdy as they seem. The paper inside is what makes them feel sturdy. When empty they can crush pretty easily. They do work well if you have stuff that can fill them completely. That way they are much less likely to crush.

The poster who said to label everything well - AMEN!!! Label with the destination room in your new place. Make name tags for the rooms in the new place that match the room labels on your boxes. Use masking tape or sticky notes to label the new rooms (something easily removed). Really helps get the stuff in the right rooms. Either with pro movers, or friends. If there is a sign that says "bedroom 1" there shouldn't be questions about where boxes labeled "bedroom 1" go. If it is "room on the left at top of stairs," may not be as obvious.

Label boxes on the ends/sides, not the tops. The sides or ends are usually more readily available to be seen. Sucks to unstack a pile of boxes looking for a specific one, only to find it isn't in that stack of boxes, it's elsewhere.

Good luck!!

yes, I've moved a few times.

Student Services Moving and Storage. They're based in Charlottesville.

Update:

Been moving since Sunday. We've transferred three carloads of boxes plus a carload of hanging stuff -- artwork, mirrors, etc.

Of course California is going through a heat wave. Coupled with the fact that our new place is a third-floor walk-up (with no AC), that's been kind of a drag.

Packing in copy paper/banker's boxes was the best decision of the move so far. They've got handles and are just the right size so that my wife can carry them. Not too heavy that I can't stack two or three for me to haul. Strong enough so we're not worrying about them crushing when stacked.

We've been unpacking as we go. About two-thirds of our stuff is now unpacked and put away. I'd say we've got maybe another carload of junk to haul and we'll be set.

Movers come on Saturday to lift the heavy stuff. Depending on the traffic, I think we can wrap things up, door to door, in 2-3 hours. Feeling pretty good about it.

horrible timing. it has to be over 90 in the east bay. peace be with you.

Yesterday it was in the mid-90s yeah. Absolutely brutal. Today it's warm but not an oven. Nice breeze. Sitting on the floor eating curry, drinking a beer, view of the City in the distance. Life is good.

Also have chicks in the city ever looked as good as they do this week with all the heat?

if only it were a weekend day with a fully opened dolores park...

Bump. My wife and I are moving from eastern Pa to Denver. Does anyone have any moving company recommendations? What should I expect for costs, if we are moving a two bedroom apartment? Any insight, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back