• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mt. Tabor High Shooting

I'm willing to test mine. Let's pass firearms laws similar to what Australia did and see if our numbers approach theirs.

32vzcoE.png

So if this is the widely-accepted consensus, and if your party has control of the legislative and executive branches, what are they waiting on?

Was pretty on topic until someone arrived then drifted into a bunch of bullshit like government assistance. I’m sure we can work two parent households in here, like if you have two parents at home that’s more people for the rapist to rape during their violent home invasion and a gun is even more warranted.

Don't forget that two parent households are more likely to be good people because of... feelings. Ban anyone from owning a gun if they did not come from a two parent household. That should leave us with only good gun owners.

List of laws Biden’s passed without congress? Additionally, I don’t think confiscating guns can be worked into budget reconciliation.

List of laws Biden’s passed without congress? Additionally, I don’t think confiscating guns can be worked into budget reconciliation.

But that doesn’t fit into his intellectually dishonest points.

Dissenting voices are harder when your bubble doesn't force you to test your ideas.

This message was brought to you by fox news, oan, and the governors of Texas and Florida.

This really is an incredible post.

Agreed. I own a total of eleven firearms, encompassing several shotguns, hunting rifles, and 3 pistols -- most of which I have inherited. Also included are three World War 2 era rifles that I have purchased over the years, as I enjoy them from a historical perspective. Although I do not hunt, I do enjoy target and clay shooting. All of my weapons are safely secured -- unloaded -- either in a safe and/or with trigger locks. I think I qualify as a responsible gun owner, although many posters apparently believe that there is no such thing -- that owning a gun at all, of any kind and for any purpose, is irresponsible.

As for the issue of self protection, I am ultimately responsible for the safety of my family. As the saying goes, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. I am fully capable of making (and have a right to make) risk assessments, to take measures to mitigate those risks, and to assume risk. Those decisions are mine and that of my family, not anyone else's. If you don't like guns and don't want them in your house, that is entirely your decision. But you don't get to make that decision for me.

Board lefties have spent 20+ pages castigating and demonizing law abiding citizens. There has not been one single acknowledgment about the issue of growing gang violence, drugs, and crime in general. My lawfully owning a gun, even more than one (the horror!), had nothing whatsoever to do with a 15 year old murdering 16 year old a week ago, apparently over some kind of slight -- whether gang affiliation or somehow being "dissed" in some way. What are the factors that led a kid to decide to kill another kid? Broken families? Glorification of violence? A diminishing value afforded to human life? Any discussion to be had about that? Or is that just too complicated?

I'm sure this sound entirely reasonable to you and, honestly, pretty much everyone that isn't strictly anti-gun. You sound responsible. Reasonable.

Here's the problem. It's a take that is 100% focused on yourself, as if the fact that you own 11 firearms exists in some kind of vacuum outside of all the other things (misinformed though you may be about them statistically) you own those guns for.

I doubt very much that the actual levels of risk by all these gangs and murderers and rapists wandering our quiet neighborhoods move the needle for you, at all, as far as gun rights are concerned. I doubt even more that the reality of how effective all your guns will be in a crisis situation, how unlikely members of your family are to find a way to unlock/use your firearms despite your safety measures - will either.

But the core of the argument is that others have guns, so I get them too. Plus I'm more responsible than those idiots and I am comfortable with the risk so leave me alone.

Every gun owner is not some unrelated, isolated entity. You have ELEVEN firearms including handguns which have only one reason for existing, and whatever else. That means other morons get that same arsenal, and at the edges far, far more. Because people like you feel justified to own those things, they reject any policies that limit access to them. And now you quote that very access by the public as the reason you need 11 firearms.

It's a cycle rooted in absolute selfishness, strengthened over decades by political fear-mongering which you've shown to be very effective. And the truth is even if you KNOW all that is true you will likely still say that your selfishness is justified, you have kids, you're law abiding, etc.

That's the difference outside of the rhetoric. In the middle ground, some people feel that the small risk inherent in any kind of gun reduction, or giving up the fun of playing with handguns, is worth reversing the total gun count for the greater good. Full stop. They recognize it will take time, they just can't comprehend watching the pace of school and public mass shooting events and understand maintaining the status quo.

The opposing rhetoric is just as bad from the other extreme, but in the "responsible gun owner" middle ground, it's just good old American justifiable selfishness.

I’m very much in favor of insurance requirements for guns, and the imposition of strict liability in the event of crime or injury. That will effectively privatize the risk management. If you can’t convince an insurance company to insure you, you don’t get a gun. Implement severe penalties for possession without insurance. Take it out of the hands of politicians and move it to the private sector where financial interests will be aligned with public safety.

Hey, here is a good avatar picture for you!

Your party controls every branch of government needed to pass these laws, and this isn't the first time in our lifetime that has been true. What are they waiting on?

Your party controls every branch of government needed to pass these laws, and this isn't the first time in our lifetime that has been true. What are they waiting on?

Don't like that one? How about this one?

obtuse-angles.png

I guess we'll just have to take their word for it, that they are very, very concerned about this issue (just not to the point of passing any legislation).

Jesus fucking Christ you are so intentionally dishonest, why don’t they pass laws derp derp they are in control derp derp.

This logic is flimsy and unsustainable, of course. Part of living in a free society (a once-shared goal) is that people are free to make choices and then be held responsible for the choices that they make. If we ban all potentially dangerous instrumentalities because of crimes not-yet-committed, then society would grind to a halt. Plenty of things are potentially dangerous, but it is behavior that is the problem. As always, focus on the behavior.

Banning guns will not cause society to grind to a halt. That's dumb.

Jesus fucking Christ you are so intentionally dishonest, why don’t they pass laws derp derp they are in control derp derp.

T.I.L. that expecting Democrats to pass laws about things that Democrats pretend to believe when Democrats are in power is too high an expectation for Democrats.

If Townie were here, he'd probably think you have a cool party, bro.

T.I.L. that expecting Democrats to pass laws about things that Democrats pretend to believe when Democrats are in power is too high an expectation for Democrats.

If Townie were here, he'd probably think you have a cool party, bro.

Maybe the previous suggestions were just not wide enough for you...how about this:

CNX_Precalc_Figure_05_01_0092.jpg

Back