• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW, Dan's Hot Scoop on the Next Coach

If you can make it past all the Caldwell crap:

Pete Lembo at Ball State knows what it's like to operate with less than bountiful resources. So does Dave Clawson, whose Bowling Green team is playing Northern Illinois tomorrow night in Detroit for the the Mid-American Conference title. My best guess right now is that it's going to be a guy like Lembo or Clawson. Sitting here right now, at 1:24 p.m. Dec. 5, I'm thinking it's going to be one of those two guys.

It's a guess, but it's an educated guess.

So, what do we know about Clawson?

Not that I would want Caldwell back as coach in any shape or form, I do think that if he were our coach again, he'd do a much better job this go round. I think the reasons Dan gave for his struggles were valid.

Provoking thought which stimulates conversation; but a serious possibility: NO.

If RW brings back Caldwell he is making a statement to someone and it is not a good statement.

Were he to make this hire, we can expect his resignation soon.

If RW brings back Caldwell he is making a statement to someone and it is not a good statement.

Were he to make this hire, we can expect his resignation soon.

No. We can expect his immediate termination.

Dan kind of overlooked that the end of Caldwell's Colts tenure was a LOT like the end of his Wake tenure. No thanks.

Clawson has bee successful everywhere he has been. He was the HC at UR and built that program back, though the won their national title the year after he left, so UVa's current HC got the credit. It is very clear Clawson can coach. Anywhere. I think he left UR to be UT's OC at Tennessee before he got his current HC gig at Bowling Green. And apparently is doing well there now, too. There are definitely some great young coaches out there now. Lembo or Clawson would both probably do really well. Clawson is very aggressive on offense with his play calling. He and Lobo are polar opposites, but then again, Grobe was pretty much telling him to be conservative. The offense will be wide open under Clawson.

He was the HC at UR and built that program back, though the won their national title the year after he left, so UVa's current HC got the credit. It is very clear Clawson can coach. Anywhere.

So, he's the [Redacted] of UR. Yeah, let's go for him.

Dude, check yourself. And the facts. Clawson wins everywhere he goes. More like Skip's early resume. His first year as a HC was Fordham and they were 0-11. His last 2 years they were 10-3 and 9-3. At UR his last team was 11-3 and lost to App. St. in the FCS semifinals. Then London reaped the benefits, and has since overseen UR and UVa dropping. He's taken Bowling Green to 2 bowls, and is a lock to go this year at 9-3 and playing N. Ill for the championship.

He is a winner.

Head coaching record

Fordham Rams (Patriot League) (1999–2003)
1999 Fordham 0–11 0–6 7th
2000 Fordham 3–8 1–5 6th
2001 Fordham 7–4 5–2 3rd
2002 Fordham 10–3 6–1 T-1st L Div I-AA Quarterfinals
2003 Fordham 9–3 4–3 T-3rd
Fordham: 29–29 16–17

Richmond Spiders (Atlantic 10 Conference) (2004–2006)
2004 Richmond 3–8 0–8 5th (South)
2005 Richmond 9–4 7–1 1st (South) L Div I-AA Quarterfinals 8
2006 Richmond 6–5 3–5 T-4th (South)
2007 Richmond 11–3 7–1 1st (South) L Div FCS Semifinals 4
Richmond: 29–20 17–15

Bowling Green Falcons (Mid-American Conference) (2009–present)
2009 Bowling Green 7–6 6–2 3rd (East) L Humanitarian
2010 Bowling Green 2–10 1–7 T-5th (East)
2011 Bowling Green 5–7 3–5 T-4th (East)
2012 Bowling Green 8–5 6–2 2nd (East) L Military
2013 Bowling Green 9-3 7-1 1st (East)
Bowling Green: 31–31 23–17
Total: 89-80

Last edited:
Back