• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW, Dan's Post Game Assessment

Anyone who thinks a team with an injured Ari, Chennault, JTT and all the problem children could have won fifteen games is delusional.

Dino would have beat Stetson and Winthrop though.

Exactly. A real coach answers that with "No, because we're going to get better and play more physical in the future," or "We're going to spend all week working on our rebounding," or "I'm going to do everything I can to instill more toughness in these guys." If you ran into a buzzsaw like 1991 UNLV, that would be one thing. When you get handled by a team that will be lucky to be on the NCAA bubble, avoiding similar teams is not a solution to your problem.

Well said.

And about three to five guys who post here could have won more games last than [Redacted].

Neither Dino nor [Redacted] is a high D1 HC. Neither can coach in real game situations. It's basically like asking, "which fat, ugly, mean, lazy woman do you want to be married to without being divorced."

When will "Country Dan" edit this. My god, this is terrible.

"But twice this season I've seen bigger tougher players eat his lunch, while he didn't nothing about it."

Wtf

FIFY. I can't think of a single other school that would allow this dumpster fire shit show to continue into year 4 while the AD pretended like nothing was wrong and they were happy with the progress and direction. Zero other schools. Wake is the perfect storm of a small fan base, entrenched AD, powerless BOT, and a president that doesn't give a rats ass about sports.

Yes

I can't imagine any other AD would've been allowed to make a hire like Bz for their marquee sports program to begin with. Look at Bz's record at Colorado. Now tell me another AD that would've had the power to go through with that hire. Ron has been able to do whatever he wants.

UVA with London? Coached 2 years at FCS Richmond (won with Clawson's team) and now has won 8 ACC games in 4 years? He's coming back for another year as well, right?

UVA with London? Coached 2 years at FCS Richmond (won with Clawson's team) and now has won 8 ACC games in 4 years? He's coming back for another year as well, right?

What are you talking about? London didn't have a long track record when he was hired, but it was a good one. The comparison works if we had hired [Redacted] directly after Air Force, but he had 3 losing seasons between when we hired him and the successful Air Force stint (with the Scott / Mooney players).

hahahahahahaha

You've jumped the shark.

The comparison would also work if someone hired London away from UVA right now. Obviously not going to happen.

Hiring a guy coming off a FCS championship (and who was an assistant on successful UVa squads) is nothing like hiring a guy coming off of 3 straight losing years at Colorado.

Maybe hiring Chizik coming off a two bad years at Iowa State, but he was an accomplished assistant and won a national championship. And even more importantly, he still got fired.

Hiring a guy coming off a FCS championship (and who was an assistant on successful UVa squads) is nothing like hiring a guy coming off of 3 straight losing years at Colorado.

There is nothing comparable to the Bz hire. Nothing.

As I said in the post, I'm talking about an AD being able to make a hire like Bz in the first place. Look at what London did at Richmond:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_London
Now look at what Bz did at Colorado.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Bzdelik
Bz finished last, last, and eighth in his three years at Colorado.

Hmm, interesting in Dallas the writers openly talk about whether Garrett will be fired, whether he should be kept, they all pretty much say 'Jerry the GM' should be fired.

I doubt anyone is saying Dan needs to come out and say because of all this Bzz should be fired at the end of the season. But discussing whether Bzz' job is in jeopardy or what his team needs to do to secure a 5th year at Wake would be ...... well ..... I guess .... analysis and reporting?

And if he want's to be 'subtle' about, it do a little more research and include something like 'the last ACC coach to go 1-27, 2-26 on the road in the ACC was ....

Let's just call it what it is, Dan has 2 1/2 months of this crap to cover, and he's going to try and toe the line to make his job easier over that time period and hopes the team comes around or Bzz is fires so he can go back and write nice comfortable pieces again.

He does discuss it. At the appropriate time. He's discussed it later in the season each of the past two years at least. I'm sure he will discuss it later in the year this year. But you and I and everyone else know Wellman's not doing anything until the end of the season at least.

He does discuss it. At the appropriate time. He's discussed it later in the season each of the past two years at least. I'm sure he will discuss it later in the year this year. But you and I and everyone else know Wellman's not doing anything until the end of the season at least.

I think it's more being afraid that Wellman won't fire him at the end of the year. Again.

Also in his game piece, Dan says we cut it to 8 in the second half and quotes the score 59-47. Is simple arithmetic not even needed at a newspaper anymore?

The truth is that this team has some skill, but zero ability to play tough inside. Our guys were in position yesterday but got overpowered. Also CMM played like crap when they put the run on us. Devin out if control, cmm passive, Tyler too weak to finish. We are physically undersized, and can't shoot freethrows.

As I said in the post, I'm talking about an AD being able to make a hire like Bz in the first place. Look at what London did at Richmond:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_London
Now look at what Bz did at Colorado.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Bzdelik
Bz finished last, last, and eighth in his three years at Colorado.

London coached for all of 2 years at an FCS school with another coach's team. He inherited an absolute goldmine of talent from Clawson.

I'm just saying UVA hiring a guy who only had 2 years of FCS coaching experience, successful though they may have been, was extremely controversial and has proven to be a pretty huge failure. They just went 0-8 in year 4. UVA should be good at football - they're going backward. At least we've seen some improvement with Wake, paltry though it may be.

There is at least a narrative with [Redacted] as a rebuilder, plus he was an NBA head coach and took Air Force to the NCAA's which was nuts for them at the time. Also Colorado has been solid since his exit. It was a terrible hire, but let's not go overboard with this "no other AD could make such a hire" nonsense.

At this point I'd be fine if we continue to mirror [Redacted]'s Colorado experience. That would mean we ditch him this year, maybe make an NIT appearance, then win 45+ games with 2 NCAA appearances in 2015 and 2016. Sounds good to me. Nothing we can do about the past.

Back