• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MTOW, Dan's Vandy Review & Season Analysis

The truth is that Wake has a lot to offer and could be reasonably good in football and basketball. But the university leadership has to decide that it wants success on the field in the revenue sports and hire the right people to carry it out. Right now we are light years from such a determination, and I fear that the current powers that be will use just about anything to justify continued failure. They don't want to change, and change they must, if we are to be siccessful.

You'd think a coach would learn from that and look at the opportunity with a 4th and 3 on the opponent's 38 to take a chance and get in scoring position, but for whatever reason Grobe still thinks punting and putting on the defense is still the right call.
That means he didn't trust his offense, and it should be exhibit #1 why things need to change. Either he trusts his offense and coaches or not. Taking a risk to get 3 yards like that...deep in the opponents territory to protect a lead....should be a no-brainer in a losing season. The fact it wasn't tells us everything we need to know..IMO.

That means he didn't trust his offense, and it should be exhibit #1 why things need to change. Either he trusts his offense and coaches or not. Taking a risk to get 3 yards like that...deep in the opponents territory to protect a lead....should be a no-brainer in a losing season. The fact it wasn't tells us everything we need to know..IMO.

Yeah, but I can remember similar decisions his first few years when we had a really good rushing offense. He's always tended to make those type of decisions.

I can't think of anything Grobe and his staff set out to do this season that actually worked except continuing to run a 3-4 around Nikita and I'm still not convinced that was the best use of our overall talent.

Especially when you punt it into the end zone (yet again) for a touch back.

Thats the point. A net gain of 13 yards. Why does that matter in the last game of the year, not bowl eligible, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE! Give it to your seniors and let them make a play. PH said it best, Grobe is so conservative that it is dangerous.

Grobe's tactics have run their course, indeed they ran their course years ago.

Remember the Virginia game a few years ago when he wasn't aggressive and left the ball on the right hash mark, counting on Sam Swank to hit a 48 yard field goal ?

Remember the Virginia game a few years ago when he wasn't aggressive and left the ball on the right hash mark, counting on Sam Swank to hit a 48 yard field goal ?

I had a lot more problem with not trying harder to make it a closer field goal, then I did leaving it on the right hash in that situation.

Well when your staff writer admits to not even watching the 1st quarter of a game he's suppose to cover, why would I pay for his opinions?

Ph asked why he wasn't there in person covering the games and I answered. If you want the beat guy traveling to the games, buy the newspaper so they can pay for the trip.

I agree. I didn't make my point very well..... Can you imagine Grobe coaching Auburn on Saturday night on the last play? No way he puts a return guy back and sets up a return. He would see the risk of a fumble as outweighing the chance of a return for a score . He plays not to lose.

I agree. I didn't make my point very well..... Can you imagine Grobe coaching Auburn on Saturday night on the last play? No way he puts a return guy back and sets up a return. He would see the risk of a fumble as outweighing the chance of a return for a score . He plays not to lose.

Yeah, but on the flip side, if he was coaching Bama he wouldn't have even tried to get in field goal range, so it would've gone to overtime. Of course then Bama would've lost as Grobe played for the safe FG in OT, only to watch Auburn score the TD to win.

Yeah, but I can remember similar decisions his first few years when we had a really good rushing offense. He's always tended to make those type of decisions.
5 losing seasons should make it a no-brainer. If he can't take that risk regardless of situation, then he's a crappy head football coach. It's as mind numbing as playing for FGs without a decent kicker.

Yeah, but on the flip side, if he was coaching Bama he wouldn't have even tried to get in field goal range, so it would've gone to overtime. Of course then Bama would've lost as Grobe played for the safe FG in OT, only to watch Auburn score the TD to win.

He also would of probably won the game by kicking a chip shot FG with 6 mins to go. However he also would of never had the balls to throw a 99-yard TD pass to take the lead back, before that.

And don't even get me started on the A&M game. When it started off 14-0 Grobe would of scene what Sumlin and Manziel were doing and just balled up and cried on the sideline.

The reason Grobe is a lifetime loser is because he plays not to lose.

Grobe's tactics have run their course, indeed they ran their course years ago.

the orange bowl was the last gasp for them. they worked with a number of lucky breaks and he felt validated. from the outside it certainly looks like he has never felt the pressure to truly evaluate his philosophy on football. it worked once it can work again. right?

Feel age and lack of intensity is in play now...doubt he will do anything unless Wellman pulls the plug.

Ph asked why he wasn't there in person covering the games and I answered. If you want the beat guy traveling to the games, buy the newspaper so they can pay for the trip.

Chicken and egg.

Back