• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Muslim ban already having effect

My point being district, where was the Outrage the previous 5 years?

There's a difference between being slow to react to something, perhaps because of a lack of realization of what's necessary, and knowing what's necessary and taking action directly counter to that

99% of Syrian refugees pose no threat to the United States. If we can't correctly identify at least half of those people then our vetting process does indeed suck, but not in the way Trump is claiming. If we can identify half of those people then there are plenty of refugees left over who could safely be resettled in the U.S.

The only criteria I care about is "Does this person pose a threat to the United States?" If the answer is no then let them in.

What does "pose a threat to the United States" mean?

You are conflating refugees and people who are seeking asylum.

Obviously more people sought safety in those countries purely from a geographic standpoint. This is an absurd argument.

yeah, no one in the world wants to come to America. I'm being silly.

yeah, no one in the world wants to come to America. I'm being silly.

Where did I say that nobody wants to come here?

I don't have the numbers on hand, but how many Syrian refugees even applied to the United States? Those people running away from their situation aren't pulling up Google and weighing the pros and cons of Germany vs. the United States. They are trying to get the hell out of their country so they can survive, and Europe is closer than the USA.

I don't have the numbers on hand, but how many Syrian refugees even applied to the United States? Those people running away from their situation aren't pulling up Google and weighing the pros and cons of Germany vs. the United States. They are trying to get the hell out of their country so they can survive, and Europe is closer than the USA.

We can't get inside the mind of these refugees so we're not comfortable calling this "truth" v. "lie"

I can't find the US numbers easily of those that applied (maybe we don't want to disclose that because it looks bad?), but Canada has ADMITTED more than 3x the amount the United states has. So its pretty clear my argument makes more sense than yours.

We're beating out Singapore though, barely. So we can hang our hats on that. Thanks, Obama.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War

Last edited:
I can't find the US numbers easily of those that applied (maybe we don't want to disclose that because it looks bad?), but Canada has ADMITTED more than 3x the amount the United states has. So its pretty clear my argument makes more sense than yours.

We're beating out Singapore though, barely. So we can hang our hats on that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War

Alright---for the sake of argument, how many Syrian refugees have committed acts of terror in Canada?

Also, I guess our vetting process is pretty stringent then compared to other nations? Maybe even one of the most stringent since it takes 18-24 months to do?

Alright---for the sake of argument, how many Syrian refugees have committed acts of terror in Canada?

Also, I guess our vetting process is pretty stringent then compared to other nations? Maybe even one of the most stringent since it takes 18-24 months to do?

I don't know Canada's stats, but I know the Germans are pissed.

Stringent process? If only we had a caring President to up and change the rules for the past 5 years. Seems like Trump was able to change the rules rather quickly in just under a week.

Last edited:

They very much are weighing the pros and cons of going to this country or that country and there is a sophisticated network of open borders types helping them every step of the way. They rely on Facebook groups and other ways to figure out how to cross borders, where it's lax, how to claim asylum, etc. There's a reason they all want to go to places like Germany, Sweden, Canada, England, the US and not Bolivia, Peru, and Mexico.

There is no "Christian" priority. The EO has two relevant provisions, both of which state that those of a "minority" religion who are "facing religious persecution" are given priority.

The inclusion of the word minority was a pretty blatant way to exclude Muslims fleeing Syria and other Muslim-majority countries because of religious persecution.

Seems clear the easiest solution is to just ban muslims and immigrants, MAGA, then just pay off other countries to take our quota. Kinda like greenhouse gas credits.

No. My post was not artfully worded, but internecine sectarian persecution is not the same thing as inter-religious persecution.

That's a pretty fine distinction. What constitutes internecine vs. inter-religious is a matter of perspective, especially in the realm of Abrahamic religions.

Wait, have you been to the DMV lately or the passport office?

May have been mentioned earlier but seemed like Spicer was implying or hinting that the shooting in Quebec may provide a sort of justification for the travel ban. Seeing reports that the shooter was a right wing white nationalist who trolled refugees on the internet. May qualify as an oooooppppps

Can you tell me "what post a threat to the United States" means to you? Just following up on the standard you set in another post.

Must have been a typo, I meant "pose a threat."

Specifically I mean "are they more likely than the average American citizen to carry out an attack on the U.S. government or its citizens."

Specifically I mean "are they more likely than the average American citizen to carry out an attack on the U.S. government or its citizens."

but clearly we as a nation don't care if we kill eachother, but we care a lot if others kill us. So I'm not sure this matters.

OK. And by attack I presume you mean a terrorist attack on people they do not know (or know well). Any other actions or views you are good to go and let them enter?

I'm not the one drawing distinctions. Persecuted Muslims can flee to a number of other countries in the region.

Saying ________ is not the same as ________ is, by definition, drawing a distinction.

If neighboring Muslim countries could safely provide sufficient refuge to all Muslims fleeing persecution from ISIS and related groups then the refugee crisis wouldn't be a crisis.

Back