• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Muslim ban already having effect

Unless you're flying a foreign airline from the ME, and/or you're brown, you'll see no difference.

I think (but could be wrong) that the only reason it applies solely to foreign airlines is that they're the only ones who flight direct to those cities. It's a city-based ban, not a carrier-based one.

dirty communist books, no doubt

9653f3e4fa88bc98b8deb653b135f61e.jpg

Not to be lost in the Yates testimony, Trump is SEEING US IN COURT on the Muslim Ban today.

No, he thinks he's above the USSC and can make them agree with him.

yep, then he can rail about the unfairness of a Supreme Court's jurisdiction over Congress into the next election cycle

How long after the SCOTUS strikes it down for good does it take before Trump says that Supreme Court decisions are fake news?

that's that goal here, folks. not the ban

de-legitimize SCOTUS

Yep exactly. Looks like President Bannon is back in control while Kushner deals with his many legal issues.

He's still at it... from 30 minutes ago.

So conservatives believe the Gorsuch nomination is the biggest "accomplishment" of the Trump administration and now they're trying to delegitimize SCOTUS.

So conservatives believe the Gorsuch nomination is the biggest "accomplishment" of the Trump administration and now they're trying to delegitimize SCOTUS.

No. That's just itc idiocy.

Go teach a kid something for chrissake

He's had 120 days and has done NOTHING. His own inaction shows this wasn't about 90 days and figuring something out.

Being here long enough i honestly believe you all could care less about a 90 day ban.

Really do you really CARE? You despise trump. I don't love trump but you guys? He could propose to put 500 bucks cash in your paycheck every week for the rest of your lives and you would still find something wrong. Face it. This stupid ban rolled out when people with temporary green cards were floating in limbo 30 thousand feet in the air. So they were detained. MELTDOWN!!!!! WE GOT HIM!!!!!

This whole damn ban would be over and done with. Maybe extended? Maybe leverage on some shit countries? However, NOT THE SAUDIS who are the only bad bad boys who are responsible for everything from Tsunamis and Wake losing to BC this year! Geez

I can tell you with blinders on that Trumps rhetoric has slowed down the invisible map from South America pointing north that tells poor struggling people "this way for free everything".

Maybe those bad hombres that use those poor people that have little to nothing and hand over their huts and all their goods for a bus ride only to be dumped off at the border will stop the madness. Maybe those poor souls heard the Trumpets loud and clear. The answer is NO.

Mean privileged me? Nope. Lucky. Just plain dum luck that I was born here like you. White? Luck again.

Trumps big mouth during his campaign is the justification for the Muslim ban which it is not what you call it no matter how many times you repeat . The majority of the world’s 1.6 billion Muslims are concentrated in countries like Indonesia, India, Pakistan, Turkey and Iran. Ask Obama what countries he designated as a threat.

I won't hold my breath for the barage of the usual.

Sometimes I think some wouldn't mind another 9/11 just to prove that trump is incompetent. Not really but the thought has crossed my mind.

That's how crazy this has become. Muslim ban. You're all so damn educated. Sometimes I wonder.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Being here long enough i honestly believe you all could care less about a 90 day ban.

Really do you really CARE? You despise trump. I don't love trump but you guys? He could propose to put 500 bucks cash in your paycheck every week for the rest of your lives and you would still find something wrong. Face it. This stupid ban rolled out when people with temporary green cards were floating in limbo 30 thousand feet in the air. So they were detained. MELTDOWN!!!!! WE GOT HIM!!!!!

This whole damn ban would be over and done with. Maybe extended? Maybe leverage on some shit countries? However, NOT THE SAUDIS who are the only bad bad boys who are responsible for everything from Tsunamis and Wake losing to BC this year! Geez

I can tell you with blinders on that Trumps rhetoric has slowed down the invisible map from South America pointing north that tells poor struggling people "this way for free everything".

Maybe those bad hombres that use those poor people that have little to nothing and hand over their huts and all their goods for a bus ride only to be dumped off at the border will stop the madness. Maybe those poor souls heard the Trumpets loud and clear. The answer is NO.

Mean privileged me? Nope. Lucky. Just plain dum luck that I was born here like you. White? Luck again.

Trumps big mouth during his campaign is the justification for the Muslim ban which it is not what you call it no matter how many times you repeat . The majority of the world’s 1.6 billion Muslims are concentrated in countries like Indonesia, India, Pakistan, Turkey and Iran. Ask Obama what countries he designated as a threat.

Sometimes I think some wouldn't mind another 9/11 just to prove that trump is incompetent. Not really but the thought has crossed my mind.

That's how crazy this has become. Muslim ban. You're all so damn educated. Sometimes I wonder.

NONE of the countries who did 9/11 are mentioned in Trump's ban.

risc -

I'm just going to put a little surface level of "why I care" out there and if you want (much) longer, detailed discussion please let me know.

I work for a refugee resettlement agency. the 120 day moratorium on all USRAP resettlements would have been very detrimental to families, even a death sentence in some cases. There are so many reasons this ban would be bad, but just the highlights and a couple of stories, if you want further details about any of these points, I'm happy to oblige:

1) The so-called "extreme vetting" that Trump wants is both unnecessary and pretty much already Standard procedure. The refugee resettlement program is already the most thoroughly vetted means of access to the US of ANY visa program.

2) The "terror groups will us the refugee program to gain access" fear is completely unfounded. 1)You don't apply to be resettled, you are referred to USRAP by UNHCR or an American embassy. 2) You are not guaranteed that you'll come to the US - this is not your choice - If you are one of the 1.3% of refugees accepted into the resettlement program, you will be sent to one of 13 countries open to resettlement - there are slightly higher odds of coming to American if you have family in American who applies through USCIS, PRM, and a US embassy - and even then it does not increase the likelihood of assurance, just that your place of resettlement is the US.

3) You may say, "120 days isn't much, it would already be over with." However the window to be assured and travel is actually very small. To be able to travel, your security, medical, and travel clearance have to line up. Because these clearances all have a different statute of limitations, the actual window to travel where all documentation is valid is about 32 days. If that 32 days falls during the ban, you have to start the process all over. The fastest the process can take is 18-24 months, but for our clients, on average, the process has taken about 5-7 years, many of them longer (A family we resettled a few weeks ago had been in a camp for 22 years).

If you are curious about any other part of the refugee resettlement process and the ban (as well as the president's reduction of our number of guarantee from 110,000 to 50,000), I'll be happy to provide more.

We resettled a Nepali mother and her 3 kids 17 months ago. Being a single mom is hard enough, much less as a refugee. She came ahead as she was waiting for her husband to get clearance. About 3 months after she got here, she's diagnosed with breast cancer. Despite a lot of community support, she still struggles. Her husband finally got clearance in March. If the ban had not been blocked, the husband would have missed his window and would have to begin the process all over again, meaning it would be at least 2 years before he could be here with his wife and be her support. Because the ban is blocked, he arrived 6 weeks ago.

As far as the "dangerous Muslim refugees" I can offer countless stories of our Syrian, Somalian, and other Muslim clients who have endured unspeakable terror and have finally found peace here. We have a Syrian family arrive a few months ago, who when I took him to his new home, shared dinner with him, wept uncontrollably because it was the first time that he could remember that he put his two boys to bed without hearing bombs exploding.

Not to mention the harassment of our refugee community by those emboldened by our president's stance to immigrants and refugees.

His words and actions are more than blustery rhetoric, they are affecting people.

Back