• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My Take As We Enter Year Four

Deke 73

Reaction score
As cupcake after cupcake turn into meaningless W's, I have the following observations as we enter our fourth year of the [Redacted] era:

I believe we are truly fortunate to have a first class assistant coaching staff. Our assistants, in combination with our ACC affiliation and very attractive basketball facilities should easily allow us to successfully compete against many lower level teams, most of which have no players we would even consider offering a scholarship to. The big problem, that has been a plague for four years now, is that our head coach has zero ability to take things to a higher level. In fact, he has proven time and time again, he his more than capable of reducing things to a lower level.

Typically, it is the head coach who can work with the assistants, the players,the administration, the fanbase, and the media to elevate the program. Jeff [Redacted] is incapable of such, and has proven he does just the opposite. To move pass medicority, you must have a head coach who can coach, who is respected by his players and gives them the best chance to win through strategy, motivation, etc. A good head coach can mobilize the fan base, and effectively work with the media. A good coach is a major asset to fund-raislng. A good head coach can effectively recruit. Jeff [Redacted] does none of this. I continue to be truly astounded that a number of blind loyalists continue to support the Wellman/[Redacted] team. Can they truly believe Jeff [Redacted] represents the things that epitomize successful college coaches?

Ron Wellman's arrogance and willingness to run his legacy into the ground is despicable. The blind indifference shown by our University President and the Board of Trustees has made our program the laughing stock of college basketball. It is indeed very sad that conference affiliation money and television money have grown to greatly outweigh the relevance of our long-time, loyal fanbase. In addition to losing the support and confidence of so many fans and alumnae, we are seeing class after class of undergraduates pass through our University with no interest or loyalty to our athletic program. This disenfranchisement will cost Wake Forest huge revenue in years and decades to come.

After 40+ years of support I have evolved into a growing group that has finally come to the realization that continuing to support the crap that is being forced down our throat is a waste of time, energy, and money. I do not feel as if I am doing anybody any favor to continue to support an athetic director who has so blatantly undermined the foundation of our basketball program. Also, as we all know, it is just not basketball. The story told by the Director's Cup rankings speaks volumes as to the depths Ron Wellman has almost single-handedly destroyed decades of atheletic credibiliy and respect.

Much of this is not Jeff [Redacted]'s fault. He is who he is and he is who he was. Colorado fans and administrators were incredibly shocked when Ron Wellman came in and removed the basketball noose around their neck. Now entering year four after [Redacted], their arena is sold out for the season and basketball has never been more popular. They took the opportunity to fully, diligently search for a good new coach and they found one. I can assure you the success now being experienced at Colorado is absolutely in spite of Jeff [Redacted], not because of any culture crap that he may try to claim.

Ron Wellman made the mistake in hiring an incompetent friend to lead our program and he has compounded that mistake many times over by continuing to insult the masses in foolishly making the case he made the right hire. Bzdlelik was a bad hire - a terrible hire, and the fact he is still our head coach is a stinging indictment of Ron Wellman's competency and priortities.

Not a bad take, but I'm wondering about evidence that we have a top-shelf assistant coaching staff. Our staff, aside from Battle, whose praises have rightfully been sung spanning three head coaches, is woefully inexperienced and, on the surface, not very qualified for their jobs.

Oh Heavens Yes!

As you stated, as long as the $$$ continues to flow from conference affiliation etc. this shit show will continue...

I think Battle is a solid assistant and Nix is in a position for which he is extremely over-qualified. Other than those two, I think the rest of the staff is well below average.

Welcome to "the other side". Last year I cut all contributions after 30 consecutive years and it has been quite a pleasant and liberating experience. I highly recommend it. If Wellman and Hatch don't give a shit, I see no reason that I should.

After 40+ years of support I have evolved into a growing group that has finally come to the realization that continuing to support the crap that is being forced down our throat is a waste of time, energy, and money. I do not feel as if I am doing anybody any favor to continue to support an athetic director who has so blatantly undermined the foundation of our basketball program. Also, as we all know, it is just not basketball. The story told by the Director's Cup rankings speaks volumes as to the depths Ron Wellman has almost single-handedly destroyed decades of atheletic credibiliy and respect.

If Wellman and Hatch don't give a shit, I see no reason that I should.

This is exactly how I feel.

For a great example of just how much a coach can impact a team, look at Auburn's football team. Outside of their NC in 2010, Auburn football and Wake basketball were both very similar in their national program positions for their respective sports.

In 2011 Auburn's football team finished a disappointing 8-5 (4-4). A year later, they had their worst season in 50 years going 3-8 (0-8). Chizik and their entire coaching staff were fired despite being less than 2 years out of winning a NC.

Malzahn comes in this year and has them at 10-1 (6-1) now with essentially the exact same personnel (outside of Marshall) as the previous years record setting horrible team.

Auburn's AD and board of trustees had the balls to force a change less than two years removed from a national championship because they saw their program had become a train wreck which needed to be addressed ASAP.

The difference in a big time sports program committed to winning and excellence versus the bush league LOWF operation that Wellman runs is incredible. I can't think of a single other FBS level college program where a situation like [Redacted] would still be ongoing like it is at Wake on an AD/trustee/president level.

As cupcake after cupcake turn into meaningless W's, I have the following observations as we enter our fourth year of the [Redacted] era:

In addition to losing the support and confidence of so many fans and alumnae, we are seeing class after class of undergraduates pass through our University with no interest or loyalty to our athletic program. This disenfranchisement will cost Wake Forest huge revenue in years and decades to come.

I really don't think this has been or could be stated enough. While Wellman's actions are at least explainable if you presume he is a narcissistic prick, the indifference of the president and the board seems woefully shortsighted.

Like it or not, college athletics (football and basketball) is the easiest way to present the Wake Forest brand to a national audience. More national exposure means more applications; more applications means a higher quality student body; a higher quality student body means more successful graduates; more successful graduates means larger donations to the university.

You would think that a school that just launched a $1 billion campaign might take that into account. That's not even to mention the fact that high quality sports builds a stronger sense of community while at school and an easy way to tie back into the community once away from school. People are more likely to donate to something they feel involved in.

It just seems incredibly naive to think that the state of our athletic program won't impact this campaign, yet at least currently that is how the administration is acting.

I believe we are truly fortunate to have a first class assistant coaching staff. Our assistants, in combination with our ACC affiliation and very attractive basketball facilities should easily allow us to successfully compete against many lower level teams, most of which have no players we would even consider offering a scholarship to. The big problem, that has been a plague for four years now, is that our head coach has zero ability to take things to a higher level. In fact, he has proven time and time again, he his more than capable of reducing things to a lower level.

Typically, it is the head coach who can work with the assistants, the players,the administration, the fanbase, and the media to elevate the program. Jeff [Redacted] is incapable of such, and has proven he does just the opposite. To move pass medicority, you must have a head coach who can coach, who is respected by his players and gives them the best chance to win through strategy, motivation, etc. A good head coach can mobilize the fan base, and effectively work with the media. A good coach is a major asset to fund-raislng. A good head coach can effectively recruit. Jeff [Redacted] does none of this. I continue to be truly astounded that a number of blind loyalists continue to support the Wellman/[Redacted] team. Can they truly believe Jeff [Redacted] represents the things that epitomize successful college coaches?

Ron Wellman's arrogance and willingness to run his legacy into the ground is despicable. The blind indifference shown by our University President and the Board of Trustees has made our program the laughing stock of college basketball. It is indeed very sad that conference affiliation money and television money have grown to greatly outweigh the relevance of our long-time, loyal fanbase. In addition to losing the support and confidence of so many fans and alumnae, we are seeing class after class of undergraduates pass through our University with no interest or loyalty to our athletic program. This disenfranchisement will cost Wake Forest huge revenue in years and decades to come.

Much of this is not Jeff [Redacted]'s fault. He is who he is and he is who he was. Colorado fans and administrators were incredibly shocked when Ron Wellman came in and removed the basketball noose around their neck. Now entering year four after [Redacted], their arena is sold out for the season and basketball has never been more popular. They took the opportunity to fully, diligently search for a good new coach and they found one. I can assure you the success now being experienced at Colorado is absolutely in spite of Jeff [Redacted], not because of any culture crap that he may try to claim.

Ron Wellman made the mistake in hiring an incompetent friend to lead our program and he has compounded that mistake many times over by continuing to insult the masses in foolishly making the case he made the right hire. Bzdlelik was a bad hire - a terrible hire, and the fact he is still our head coach is a stinging indictment of Ron Wellman's competency and priortities.

I think you are way off about us having a first-class staff, unfortunately. Jeff battle is well-qualified, obviously, but neither Rusty Larue nor Randolph Childress would have ever had a shot at an assistant coaching position at any other major conference school. Larue, somewhat bizarrely, quit is job after one season in his only other experience as a college coach to become a high school coach and athletic director. Childress had no prior coaching experience whatsoever. Childress only got the job he has now because he is a wake forest living legend, and Wellman was trying to buy some breathing room for himself and [Redacted]. I love both of these guys for what they did as players for us, but neither of them have any business being an assistant coach in the ACC at this point during their careers.

Last edited:
This guy posts a manifesto about once every two or three months and always includes the clause, "in my almost 40 years of ...."

How much you want to bet it is 50+ years and he just hasn't done the math in over a decade?

This guy posts a manifesto about once every two or three months and always includes the clause, "in my almost 40 years of ...."

How much you want to bet it is 50+ years and he just hasn't done the math in over a decade?

Seeing as his name is Deke 73, not much.

You're apparently failing to comprehend this simple word.

Being a Deacon fan is not a reason to stop drinking, it's a reason to start.

If we don't drastically improve our in-conference record this season, Buzzz will be gone. Wake owns the stadium now, Wake has to answer directly for the loss of revenue. If this ship doesn't take a dramatic turn and start to fill the boxes and seats, no one will stand for it....and Bzzz will be gone. In fact, all this pain may land us the best coach prospect out there at the time of hiring...because anyone with a brain will know a dramatic move is the only move to get this program on the right track and begin to put the people back in seats.

Hang in there...we've come this far, what is a few more months.

If we don't drastically improve our in-conference record this season, Buzzz will be gone. Wake owns the stadium now, Wake has to answer directly for the loss of revenue. If this ship doesn't take a dramatic turn and start to fill the boxes and seats, no one will stand for it....and Bzzz will be gone. In fact, all this pain may land us the best coach prospect out there at the time of hiring...because anyone with a brain will know a dramatic move is the only move to get this program on the right track and begin to put the people back in seats.

Hang in there...we've come this far, what is a few more months.

Exactly...in a few more months the ship will decidedly have headed due north and most of you will have an enormous quandary staring you down. Sandwiches...made with lots and lots of Pride.

Back