• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

my Top 50 Albums of 2015

Is this more like the top 50 record store only, hipster albums that no one has ever heard?

list contains the highest selling 1st week album of all time, and a lot of other chart toppers as well as some college rock and more obscure listings

Thanks for the list! Not sure how I would rank the top ones but I really like the Courtney Barnett album. Surprised Tame Impala didn't make it. That was one of my favorites.

Tame Impala, CHVRCHES, Purity Ring, Bjork, Speedy Ortiz, Panda Bear, Beirut, Beach Slang, Twerps, Mountain Goats, Leon Bridges are probably snubs most people have in their top 50 that never caught for me this year.

After "Let it Happen" I really don't like the new Tame Impala, and I was a huge fan of their first two albums.

That's fair enough. I think lonerism is much better, but I still liked currents

Tame Impala, CHVRCHES, Purity Ring, Bjork, Speedy Ortiz, Panda Bear, Beirut, Beach Slang, Twerps, Mountain Goats, Leon Bridges are probably snubs most people have in their top 50 that never caught for me this year.

After "Let it Happen" I really don't like the new Tame Impala, and I was a huge fan of their first two albums.

didn't really like chvrches upon first listen while working, but when we played it while a few us were hanging around i enjoyed it a lot more.

I thought the point of RIYL's were to list bands people had actually heard of.

leftcoast, a personalized rec for you, knowing your jazz interests, would be that colin stetson + sara neufeld album

colin stetson is a really good sax player, e.g.,

leftcoast, a personalized rec for you, knowing your jazz interests, would be that colin stetson + sara neufeld album

colin stetson is a really good sax player, e.g.,

Cool, man. I'll consider this my starting point.

And generally speaking, I think most everything not labeled "experimental" is very approachable.

leftcoast, check out Vijay Iyer Trio's 2015 release. or Kamasi Washington's 2015 release. both are great.

Pretty disappointing year in Usic for me.

Most glaring omission on Townie's list is Leon Bridges and Tame Impala.

My order would be all different, but Townie has most of the albums listed that I would put in my top 10.

Jamie XX and Courtney Barnett put out the best work this year, imo.

Other albums I would probably have on my list that Townie didn't mention are:

Youth Lagoon - Savage Hills Ballroom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKQrO5xO8QQ

Diamond Rugs - Cosmetics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSYW4OKqHO4

Hot Chip - Why Make Sense?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S0ONyRctyE

Sun Kil Moon - Universal Themes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oUer10kOSw

There are also some dope 2k15 songs that arent necessarily on good albums. Mebbe I'll come back and post a few of those tmrw.

wait, no savage hills ballroom? that's top 3 this year for me, I think

Car Seat Headrest's album Teens of Style is one that I've only heard this week but I've listened to quite a bit.

Some of my biases include: ambient experimental music, Cokemachineglow reviews, TinyMixTapes reviews, the opposite of whatever Pitchfork has to say in reviews.

my top 5 is probably savage hills ballroom, carrie & lowell, most lamentable tragedy, sound & color, and unknown mortal orchestra's multi-love

also really dug tobias jesso, viet kong, kendrick, jamie xx, beach house

i dunno, maybe i'll make a list too at some point, who knows

like townie, i wasn't a huge fan of currents, and i love love love love lonerism

Ten Impressions for Piano & Strings - Sean McCann

How Could You Believe Me When I Said I Loved You When You Know I've Been a Liar All My Life - Celer

Yellow Bell - Jasmine Guffond

can we please talk about why townie hates youth lagoon, this is really bothering me

it reminds me of his modern baseball hatred last year

probably a vocals thing

sounds like a cat in heat crossed with the lead singer of clap your hands say yeah, but like, whinier

good melodies fosho

Back