• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

N.C State in serious talks with Rick Barnes

Good for them. They got a good AD in Debbie Yow and she's doing this the right way.

That fucking hack Wellman should take notes.

Props to them if they can pull this off. A rising tide lifts all boats. Too bad we're up s*** creek without a paddle.

Are people actually worried about State getting him? Barnes is a shitty coach. They'd be much better with an up and coming mid-major coach with a higher ceiling.

Are people actually worried about State getting him? Barnes is a shitty coach. They'd be much better with an up and coming mid-major coach with a higher ceiling.

Yeah, I'm not sure I get the love. Dino has one playoff win at WFU, and that's against this guy.

Look at what they've had for the past decade. State fans would be thrilled to get Barnes.

If Barnes were coming to Wake, we'd all be pants-shitting excited.

Look at what they've had for the past decade. State fans would be thrilled to get Barnes.

If Barnes were coming to Wake, we'd all be pants-shitting excited.

First of all Texas is a much better job than NC State.

Second of all his resume has a Hewitt-esque Final Four and a bunch of underachieving with a shit-ton of talent.

In the article, Turner mentions tradition. So, what tradition is he referring to? - not being relevant in college bball for the last 20+ years.

I agree that Barnes has been an underachiever but State would be thrilled to have Barnes underachieving with lots of talent if that means similar results from what he had at Texas. That would be far superior to anything State has done in basketball in the last 20 years...

Barnes wouldn't be my first choice if that Wake job was open right now, but I would take Barnes and his underachieving over what we have at Wake right now every day of the week and twice on Sunday...

His isn't going to do as well at State as he did at Texas. He isn't going to get that same level of talent.

He will recruit well but so did Lowe. He is an awful game coach. In my opinion he is a homeless man's Roy Williams.

Great, they get Barnes ..... we get ..... well that guy

His isn't going to do as well at State as he did at Texas. He isn't going to get that same level of talent.

He will recruit well but so did Lowe. He is an awful game coach. In my opinion he is a homeless man's Roy Williams.

Totally agree. Texas >>>>> NCSU

Butler has 7 tournament wins in the last year (plus a couple weeks)

State has 6 tournament wins since 1990

Think you're waaaaaaaay off. If he takes the NCSU job I predict he will be very successful and within a couple years State will once again be relevant. Of course I could be wrong. We'll see. :)

Also I don't get the people who are saying Barnes is overrated.

He's coached for 24 seasons:
19 NCAA Tourney Appearances, including 16 in a row (3 of which were at fricking Clemson)
1 Big East Championship
3 Big 12 Regular Season Championships
4-time Conference COY
Overall Record of 524-257
1 Losing Season

He may underachieve a bit in the tournament, but both State and Wake would kill to have Barnes be the head coach.

Yeah people all the time leave great jobs for worse jobs and then do better. The fact that he might leave a top 10 job in the country in Texas for State shows that he knows he is going to get canned soon when another one of his teams shits the bed the entire second half of season.

Flash over substance. "We got a big name hire!!!!" I'd be much more afraid of a 38-year-old Mooney at State or even 33-year-old Smart.

Personally I think if this goes through it forces Welman or friggen Hatch to make a move and pull the plug on Welman and or Bzz.

Back