• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

N.C State in serious talks with Rick Barnes

19 NCAA Tourney Appearances, including 16 in a row (3 of which were at fricking Clemson)

He may underachieve a bit in the tournament, but both State and Wake would kill to have Barnes be the head coach.

Yeah lets take a look at his Clemson record compared to the coaching giant Oliver Purnell.

Barnes overall winning pct at Clemson - .606. ACC winning pct - .437.
Purnell overall winning pct at Clemson - .605. ACC winning pct - .446.

And just because State and Wake might take Barnes over what they have/had doesn't make this the best hire or even a very good hire.

Last edited:
Yeah lets take a look at his Clemson record compared to the coaching giant Oliver Purnell.

Barnes overall winning pct at Clemson - .606. ACC winning pct - .437.
Purnell overall winning pct at Clemson - .605. ACC winning pct - .446.

And just because State and Wake might take Barnes over what they have/had doesn't make this the best hire or even a very good hire.

Now you're just being silly. Texas wasn't shit before he got there.

Now you're just being silly. Texas wasn't shit before he got there.

Really? I don't see a huge difference between what Tom Penders did there and what Barnes has done:

2n1dwd2.jpg

2zrkq5i.jpg

Barnes has been to a Final Four as a head coach. Shit man, fuck, that should be enough for Wake fans to at least genuflect a bit and acknowledge that this is a more than decent hire for State. Barnes is also a NC and ACC guy at heart and will be able to recruit here no problem. This hire would bring a ton of energy into the State program. As to the comment above questioning their tradition. Again I say shit man, fuck. They have 2 Natty's in the last 40 years. They've been to the sweet 16 more recently than we have.

Wiki had separated Penders coaching record when Texas became part of the Big 12. I forgot to add his last two years.

w987k0.jpg

People saying now that the whole "Barnes was seen on NCSU's campus" thing isn't true. From Twitter: @joeovies: So yeah, that Rick Barnes at RDU thing? Never happened according to @PackInsider and @TheWolfpacker

Yeah, I'm not sure I get the love. Ish has one playoff win at WFU, and that's against this guy.

Fixed it for ya...

You guys are kidding yourselves if you wouldn't be psyched to have Barnes at Wake

I have a few friends who are pretty close with Barnes. They would be shocked if he took this job. The thing with Barnes is that he has had a tight relationship with his AD, Dodds.

He has never indicated that he has a desire to return to NC. If there is a pull, it would be with his wife, who has been ill.

Last time NC State wanted to talk to Barnes, he was very cool to them. He just wasn't interested. I heard that from him in person.

If he has been on their campus, then something has changed with Texas.

First of all Texas is a much better job than NC State.

Second of all his resume has a Hewitt-esque Final Four and a bunch of underachieving with a shit-ton of talent.

Texas was not a better job when Barnes took it. They had next to nothing in terms of basketball history when he was hired. He has been able to reel in top Texas talent since he came in board, which is to his credit. Not sure he'd be able to do the same at NCSU playing third fiddle to UNC and Duke.

Padding post count to say that Barnes is a great motivator. He relates to the kids and keeps a close eye on them. At any time, he might call a player or his girlfriend to see what he is up to.

He may not be a billiant coach, but he works hard at it. He actually got Bob Knight to attend a practice while they were competing against each other. He and Coach Knight are pretty good friends.

Maybe Texas was somewhat of a sleeping giant when Barnes took the job, but it was still a great job. Penders did almost as well there. Let's not act like Barnes inherited a down program.

Last edited:
Texas was not a better job when Barnes took it. They had next to nothing in terms of basketball history when he was hired. He has been able to reel in top Texas talent since he came in board, which is to his credit. Not sure he'd be able to do the same at NCSU playing third fiddle to UNC and Duke.

Barnes is a street fighter. He has no fear about taking on K and Roy.

I will do my best to check with my primary source tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
So, Barnes has taken Texas to the NCAAs 13 straight years with the following results
1 Final Four
2 Elite Eight
2 Sweet Sixteen
4 Second Round
4 First Round
That doesn't suck seeing as how Wake has made 1 Sweet Sixteen in that timeframe and missed the dance 6 times (99, 00, 06, 07, 08, 11)

I'm not sure N.C. State has the money that Texas has!

It's not about that really. It's about whether or not State has enough money to lure him away from Texas with all other things into consideration (from NC, hates UNC, ACC born and bred, State fan growing up, may or may not be on the hot seat with some Texas fans, new start, etc...).

Barnes has no doubt attracted top flight talent to Texas and that has buoyed his resume. I credit a lot of that to the attractiveness of Texas, but I will say he is a good recruiter. I will also say there is no way he brings in that same amount of talent if he goes to State as his teams the last 8 years have been as talented as just about any in the nation.

Since Texas went to Final Four they've been ousted the first weekend 5 times in the last 8 years. 4 of those times they underperformed their seed. And even that is deceptive because his teams usually crumbled down the stretch leading to a much worse seed.

Here is the NBA talent on those teams in the span of 8 years

Lamarcus Aldridge (2004-06) 1st round - 2nd overall
Daniel Gibson (2004-06) 2nd round - 42nd overall
PJ Tucker (2004-06) 2nd round - 35th overall
Kevin Durant (2006-07) 1st round - 2nd overall
DJ Augustin (2006-08) 1st round - 9th overall
Damion James (2006-2010) 1st round - 24th overall
Dexter Pittman (2006-2010) 2nd round - 32nd overall
Avery Bradley (2009-2010) 1st round - 19th overall
Jordan Hamilton (2009-present) Chad Ford 17th ranked NBA prospect
Tristan Thompson (2010-present) Chad Ford 11th ranked NBA prospect

That kind of under-achievement should make even Wake fans blush.

Last edited:
Back