• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NAFTA

another simplistic and stupid act by the Thief In Chief.

So if we cut taxes, withdraw from trade, build a wall, and people's jobs still don't return, which they won't, then what? Going to have to get real creative for the next scapegoats.

C-YtdULUwAA0F-t.jpg

lol

The PR president strikes again.

Oooo. He's going to renegotiate and make it better for everbody. Even better than repeal. How marvelous. No pressing for details, please. Just accept.

Senator Sasse released a great statement on how stupid withdrawing from NAFTA would be for our country.

So if we cut taxes, withdraw from trade, build a wall, and people's jobs still don't return, which they won't, then what? Going to have to get real creative for the next scapegoats.

Invade North Korea. War is the best jobs creator.

How many times is Trump going to have to say "this is more complicated than anyone thought." It happened with healthcare, it happened with China with regard to North Korea, and it is inevitably going to happen when Trudeau schools him on NAFTA. As someone who knows way too many people on 5th Avenue, it's crazy how little nuance they attribute to immensely complicated issues.

Last edited:
remember though, this shitshow president is the fault of Democrats for not listening to rust-belt voters about getting their coal jobs back.

Senator Sasse released a great statement on how stupid withdrawing from NAFTA would be for our country.

do you think telling Mexico and Canada that it would be fucking crazy for the US to withdraw helps with the renegotiating of terms or puts the US in a weaker position when trying to get better terms. Having the ability to walk away from something puts the power back in the US's hands. He can now negotiate from a position of strength. Its a calculated risk threatening to pull away but you have to think Trump knew they would not let him.

I know I am the rube but negotiations typically go this way. YOu are a fool if you do not think the US will benefit from a fair and more equitable NAFTA deal. Plus this renegotiation will result in Mexico paying for the wall. SO one way or the other Trump will get the money.

do you think telling Mexico and Canada that it would be fucking crazy for the US to withdraw helps with the renegotiating of terms or puts the US in a weaker position when trying to get better terms. Having the ability to walk away from something puts the power back in the US's hands. He can now negotiate from a position of strength. Its a calculated risk threatening to pull away but you have to think Trump knew they would not let him.

I know I am the rube but negotiations typically go this way. YOu are a fool if you do not think the US will benefit from a fair and more equitable NAFTA deal. Plus this renegotiation will result in Mexico paying for the wall. SO one way or the other Trump will get the money.

Do you really think we have to tell them? I imagine they know. They have economists as well and I imagine most of the information that guides these negotiations is fairly public.

Do you really think we have to tell them? I imagine they know. They have economists as well and I imagine most of the information that guides these negotiations is fairly public.

meh Trump is a wild card. I think they have no clue what Trump could do. In this case it helps the US get a better deal and allows Mexico to pay for the wall after all.

meh Trump is a wild card. I think they have no clue what Trump could do. In this case it helps the US get a better deal and allows Mexico to pay for the wall after all.

For me, not having a clear understanding of your opponent's motives would cause me to be more conservative and hedge my risk when negotiating with a wild card. This would likely cause us to reach a less optimal deal than if we were both forthright. Would you rather negotiate with someone who you had a good grasp on or a wild card?

For me, not having a clear understanding of your opponent's motives would cause me to be more conservative and hedge my risk when negotiating with a wild card. This would likely cause us to reach a less optimal deal than if we were both forthright. Would you rather negotiate with someone who you had a good grasp on or a wild card?

that fact that most including me would want to negotiate with a person that had a good grasp only strengthens my point. We would want to do so because can predict the pressure points and what eachothers next move might be. Canada and Mexico can not walk away from NAFTA. The US could but it would be stupid. The very fact the Trump could walk away is why it gives the US the advantage. I know its weird because you and Obama and co. come from the school of thought that you tell people shit your not willing to do like a red line or announce troop withdrawal dates or announce attacks etc. It only weakens your hand. Like him or hate him negotiations are his world.

The number one quality you look for in a President is erraticism.

The number one quality you look for in a President is erraticism.

I didn't say that. We are talking about this specific issue and the lay of the land as it relates to negotiations. You can avoid agreeing with me but in this case its a positive.

I can tell you when people know you are all bark and no bite they will not respect you and will walk all over you every chance they get.

Th myth of Trump's negotiating genius will be a hard one for his supporters to let go.

Back