• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NAFTA

Seems like a pretty childish joke to me.

Oh you want me to help you with your nerd meter? Well to be fair coining an insulting nickname that sticks is ultimately being an asshole. Correcting grammar on a
Message board is pure nerd though. Sorry

Dumbfuck89

New name!

a-douche-bag-of-your-magnitude.png

‘I was all set to terminate’: Inside Trump’s sudden shift on NAFTA

As news of the president’s plan reached Ottawa and Mexico City in the middle of the week and rattled the markets and Congress, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue and others huddled in meetings with Trump, urging him not to sign a document triggering a U.S. withdrawal from NAFTA.

Perdue even brought along a prop to the Oval Office: A map of the United States that illustrated the areas that would be hardest hit, particularly from agriculture and manufacturing losses, and highlighting that many of those states and counties were “Trump country” communities that had voted for the president in November.

But Mexico — which was already on edge following Trump’s brief flirtation with attaching border-wall funding to a must-pass, short-term spending bill — quickly leapt to action. Two cabinet-level officials in Mexico reached out to their U.S. counterparts to deliver a blunt message: If Trump officially announced the U.S. intention to withdraw from NAFTA, Mexico would not return to the negotiating table.

Mexico would not, the officials warned, negotiate with “a gun to its head.”

meh Trump is a wild card. I think they have no clue what Trump could do. In this case it helps the US get a better deal and allows Mexico to pay for the wall after all.

[/B]

that fact that most including me would want to negotiate with a person that had a good grasp only strengthens my point. We would want to do so because can predict the pressure points and what eachothers next move might be. Canada and Mexico can not walk away from NAFTA. The US could but it would be stupid. The very fact the Trump could walk away is why it gives the US the advantage. I know its weird because you and Obama and co. come from the school of thought that you tell people shit your not willing to do like a red line or announce troop withdrawal dates or announce attacks etc. It only weakens your hand. Like him or hate him negotiations are his world.

How can that be the case? I understood the President was doing all this stuff to make sure he got a great deal?

As I mentioned before, anybody who thinks the President is taking action with any long-term strategy in mind is either blindly partisan, a fucking moron, or both.

Advising Trump on this (and any other crucial matters) sounds like when I'm negotiating with my toddler who has picked up her dinner plate and is ready to throw it across the room unless you can quickly get on her level and talk her down from the ledge real quick.

Don't withdraw from NAFTA. Think of what Fox and Friends will say! Don't throw that plate! Check out this awesome fork!

Advising Trump on this (and any other crucial matters) sounds like when I'm negotiating with my toddler who has picked up her dinner plate and is ready to throw it across the room unless you can quickly get on her level and talk her down from the ledge real quick.

Don't withdraw from NAFTA. Think of what Fox and Friends will say! Don't throw that plate! Check out this awesome fork!

You aren't being fair to your toddler. She was just trying to show daddy how great here arm is.

Back