• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

name some obscure bands that you like...

EatLeadCommie

Tommy Elrod
Reaction score
...and describe their sound. For me, I recommend the following (for those into what I describe)...

Juno. Seattle-based, I think. They released two albums. Very guitar-centric (3 guitarists, I think) and just a sonic overload of layering and sounds at times. Songs fluctuate from quite heavy to mellow soundscapes with a climax.

Jim Yoshii Pile-Up. Bay area band who I believe the lead singer for Death Cab cited as his favorite band. Their album Homemade Drugs is fucking amazing, right up there with other depressing masterpieces like Disintegration. Very mellow overall, but again guitar-centric with a lot of interplay over mostly clean tones. Pick Us Apart is also a solid album.

Last edited:
I think everyone should run as fast as they can to purchase The Lumineers S/T album. It's fucking fantastic.

Will defs check both these bands out.

Hootie and the Blowfish - Southern Rock/pop. You guys should check them out.

I think everyone should run as fast as they can to purchase The Lumineers S/T album. It's fucking fantastic.

truth, especially those of you who like Mumford and the Avett Bros.

Also check out Cast Iron Filter (bass player went to Wake)

Although it's worship music, a lot of you might enjoy All Sons and Daughters.

Health: Noise metal, but one of my good friends is their front man. Their type of music probably isn't for everyone, but they're decent to listen to while working out or see live.

Two Gallants: Cali band that places rock. Like good rock. They just re-united for a new album. They got some mainsteam fame with Steady Rollin' about 5 years ago, so I hope their new stuff is on par.

I haven't really discovered anything in recent years, but back in the day I was the only dude that had any of these bands' albums:

These two bands arent really that obscure, but I feel like there is a whole generation of younger folks out there who have no idea who they are, even though they might've heard their music somewhere.

Ween could be characterized as one of the original 'indie' bands who really just always made the music they wanted to, regardless of commercial appeal.
Stylistically they are all over the place, with rock, folk, reggae, and pop influences. Just a great rock band really.

Another band that has been around forever but has only vaguely moved the needle as far as commercial sucess goes is Bryan Jonestown Massacre. Their success has been limited mostly to the drug addiction and likely mental illness of their frontman and only permanent member, Anton Newcombe. These dudes have been around since the late 90s and were birthed in the same post grunge pacific northwest scene as the Dandy Warhols. Their music is mostly psychedelic rock, but also mixes many genres. The Boardwalk Empire theme is BJM.

Blackberry Smoke. Hard-driving southern rock, but with more of a Skynyrd sound rather than an ABB sound. They signed with Zac Brown's record label so they're marketed as country, but the only thing that sounds country are their rare ballads.

Love BSmoke!

My obscure band is called the Lewis Brothers. Kind of a cross between the Avett crowd and the Old Crow crowd. Good stuff, very easy to listen to...

I got into Bôa (a London-based band; not the South Korean singer of the same name) while watching an anime series called Serial Experiments: Lain, which used one of their songs as its opening theme. :geek: Turns out they have two very solid albums. Pretty straightforward alternative, with a great female lead voice.

Last edited:
Dawes, The Cival Wars, Future Island, Hanni El Khatib

Another band that has been around forever but has only vaguely moved the needle as far as commercial sucess goes is Bryan Jonestown Massacre.

Have you seen that documentary about them? Pretty entertaining. Anyway, this was a great Mitch Easter produced album. Great Athens, GA band from back in the day.

The Dead Milkmen are probably pretty well known but damn this song is funny.

You know what Stuart? I like you. You're not like the other people here
in the trailer park. Oh no, don't get me wrong, they're fine people, good
Americans. But they're content to sit back, maybe watch a little Mork and
Mindy on channel 57. Maybe kick back a cool Coors 16-ouncer. They're
good fine people, Stuart. But they don't know what the queers are doing
to the soil.

You know that Johnny Werzner kid - the kid who delivers papers in the
neighborhood? He's a fine kid. Some of the neighbors say he smokes
crack, but I don't believe it. Anyway, for his 10th birthday, all he
wanted was a burrow owl, just like his old man. "Dad, get me a burrow
owl. I'll never ask for anything else as long as I live". So the guy
breaks down and buys him a burrow owl. Anyway at 10:30 the other night I
go out into my yard and there's the Werzner kid looking up in the tree. I
said, "What are you looking for?" He said, "I'm looking for my burrow
owl." I say, "Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick! Everybody knows that a
burrow owl lives in a hole in the ground! Why the hell do you think they
call it a burrow owl, anyway?!" Now Stuart, do you think a kid like that
is gonna know what the queers are doing to the soil?

I first became aware of this, about 10 years ago, the summer my oldest boy
Bill Jr. died. You know that carnival that comes to town every year?
Well this year it came with a ride called the Mixer. The man said "Keep
your head and arms inside the mixer at all times." But Bill Jr., he was a
daredevil, just like his old man. He was leaning out saying, "Hey
everybody! Look at me, look at me!" POW! He was decapitated. They found
his head over by the snowcone concession. A few days after that, I open
up the mail and there's a pamphlet in there, from Pueblo, Colorado. And
it's addressed to Bill Jr. And it's entitled, "Do you know what the
queers are doing to our soil?"

Now Stuart, if you look at the soil around any large U.S. city with a big
underground homosexual population - Des Moines, Iowa, perfect example.
Look at the soil around Des Moines, Stuart. You can't build on it, you
can't grow anything in it. The government says it's due to poor farming.
But I know what's really going on, Stuart. I know it's the queers.
They're in it with the aliens. They're building landing strips for gay
Martians. I swear to God.

You know what Stuart, I like you. You're not like the other people, here
in the trailer park.

Back